Singapore Expats

[Guide] PR Approved - now what?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: [Guide] PR Approved - now what?

Post by malcontent » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 2:42 pm

The licenses were still paper when I arrived in the 90’s, and conversion from a foreign license was still a breeze, just show and go.

The REP is supposedly electronic now, but other countries still demand to see it, so I print at 70% of the original size, cut it, fold it and staple to a page in the passport - fits nicely.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 3:10 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 06 Dec 2020 2:42 pm
The licenses were still paper when I arrived in the 90’s, and conversion from a foreign license was still a breeze, just show and go.

The REP is supposedly electronic now, but other countries still demand to see it, so I print at 70% of the original size, cut it, fold it and staple to a page in the passport - fits nicely.
I think the poster was asking about Exit Permit which we receive only ONE time after getting the PR.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 3:42 pm

Mal, yep, I do the same. In fact just did it again 2 months ago. They also are giving me a discount ($50) to get a new NRIC done. The offer is good for a year from the date of the letter from ICA (27 July 2020) so I'm guessing getting new REPs won't be too much of an issue. :mrgreen: :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 5:54 pm

Is an exit permit different than a reentry permit (REP)? I don’t recall seeing any “exit permit” when my daughter got PR nine years ago, my wife who got PR in the 80’s also has no clue.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 6:10 pm

Yep, keeping a printed copy of the REP in your passport is essential.

Back in June, 2019 we were flying back here from Detroit and they refused to allow my daughter on the plane because her US passport was set to expire in a few months. They even told me, bold faced, matter of factly, she is not flying today - she needs 6 months validity to travel to Singapore. The person’s boss repeated the same, as did the other (supposedly) more experienced staff. I just kept telling them, you don’t understand and you need to find someone who does, because she can, and will fly today because she has a Singapore reentry permit. Finally, after about 20 minutes of nonsense, they got someone on the phone who actually knew something and they confirmed she can enter Singapore on a REP, no problem. The airline should have compensated me for the needless stress they caused me!

jhc3838

Post by jhc3838 » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 6:11 pm

Hey guys,
I had my IPA last week. The formalities asked to bring the original copies of my documents to the appointment. However, all of those (Degree, transcript, brith cert) are in my home country. Is this a strict requirement that you must bring those to ICA?

Thanks lots in advance.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 7:55 pm

jhc3838 wrote:
Sun, 06 Dec 2020 6:11 pm
Hey guys,
I had my IPA last week. The formalities asked to bring the original copies of my documents to the appointment. However, all of those (Degree, transcript, brith cert) are in my home country. Is this a strict requirement that you must bring those to ICA?

Thanks lots in advance.
Explain to ICA. Saw on the forum where one of them got a temporary waiver and must show it for verification later.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 06 Dec 2020 8:05 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 06 Dec 2020 5:54 pm
Is an exit permit different than a reentry permit (REP)? I don’t recall seeing any “exit permit” when my daughter got PR nine years ago, my wife who got PR in the 80’s also has no clue.
Yes
https://www.ica.gov.sg/apply/PR/apply_PR_who

See the Approval Section. The very first time alone you get Entry Permit.

mtnut

Post by mtnut » Mon, 07 Dec 2020 11:10 am

The Entry Permit has no physical signature - couldn't everyone just take a decent scan, and reprint if needed? Trying to understand why the drive to laminate...

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 07 Dec 2020 11:26 am

mtnut wrote:
Mon, 07 Dec 2020 11:10 am
The Entry Permit has no physical signature - couldn't everyone just take a decent scan, and reprint if needed? Trying to understand why the drive to laminate...
If I remember right, there were few scenarios like cancel PR, where you are expected to return the Exit Permit.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 07 Dec 2020 1:04 pm

I think we can kiss any chance of being able to produce that document good bye... my wife would have been in charge of keeping it. She can’t even find documents she received a month ago, let alone years.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Dec 2020 3:12 pm

I hear that!!!! Fortunately I used to be a Tax Accountant a couple of decades ago so I am the hoarder of documents in the family. Having said that, I keep my home office locked all the time so she cannot "clean" else I'd never be able to locate the hard copies.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

clavie

Post by clavie » Fri, 01 Jan 2021 9:41 am

mtnut wrote:
Mon, 07 Dec 2020 11:10 am
Personally I keep scanned copies of all official and important documents/IC...in a folder in my mobile Phone.
This saved me a few times showing officers such digital copies, including at the airport.

Kevinsmith08

Post by Kevinsmith08 » Sat, 23 Jan 2021 11:41 am

Awesome guide, so thank you.. Just one question - let's say I'm a 1st Gen male then I'll be exempted from NS, but I guess have to wait for their letter and then go and apply right?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 23 Jan 2021 11:57 am

Kevinsmith08 wrote:
Sat, 23 Jan 2021 11:41 am
Awesome guide, so thank you.. Just one question - let's say I'm a 1st Gen male then I'll be exempted from NS, but I guess have to wait for their letter and then go and apply right?
Yes - I think it's a bit more streamlined though. You shouldn't have to go anywhere now.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!