Singapore Expats

Need Advice for my stay in Singapore this February

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
jrossnono

Need Advice for my stay in Singapore this February

Post by jrossnono » Sat, 21 Jan 2017 10:59 pm

How are you doing guys? I am a Filipino University student currently doing his thesis. I just want some advice since I am planning to Singapore this February.

Well, I want to get 300 respondents who are University students for my survey. When I arrive there, I was thinking I could just go to some cafe or public places where many people hang out and ask politely to answer my questionnaires.

So my question: is it okay for me to ask people in public to answer my survey? Are there some law that prohibits me from doing that (since Singapore has a strict government)? or it might be inappropriate in a Singaporean cultural perspective?

If you have any suggestions or alternative way of accomplishing my task, please do tell me. Thank you for taking time reading my post! Have a nice day!

-Jed

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Need Advice for my stay in Singapore this February

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:23 am

jrossnono wrote:How are you doing guys? I am a Filipino University student currently doing his thesis. I just want some advice since I am planning to Singapore this February.

Well, I want to get 300 respondents who are University students for my survey. When I arrive there, I was thinking I could just go to some cafe or public places where many people hang out and ask politely to answer my questionnaires.

So my question: is it okay for me to ask people in public to answer my survey? Are there some law that prohibits me from doing that (since Singapore has a strict government)? or it might be inappropriate in a Singaporean cultural perspective?

If you have any suggestions or alternative way of accomplishing my task, please do tell me. Thank you for taking time reading my post! Have a nice day!

-Jed
Interesting...

Did you do some research on how Singaporeans react to strangers, especially Aliens - asking questions ?

x9200

Re: Need Advice for my stay in Singapore this February

Post by x9200 » Sun, 22 Jan 2017 8:58 am

The right approach would be to contact a relevant faculty/department of one of the local unis and ask for assistance. This should have your supervisor involved or preferably making the contact.

Alternatively you may ask MoE or even the police. I am pretty sure the police will respond and tell you what to do (if anything).

Things to consider: you will be de facto doing a job so it may be more complicated than just whether you need a permission to conduct a public survey.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 31 Jan 2017 11:23 pm

prepare thick skin.

go to the local unis with an "open" campus (there are more than a few) during lunch time.

hit up everyone queuing for food at the many canteens scattered across each campus (some unis have more than 1 campus).

you can also try the students who look like they've finished their meal and are just killing time.

after the lunch hour, roam the campus and look for bored strays.

rinse, lather, repeat.

remember to have fun.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

community@lithan

Post by community@lithan » Thu, 11 May 2017 10:46 am

places like bus stops r not allowed tho, security may chase u away