Singapore Expats

PR chances - Msian Chinese, short duration working in SG

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
acmk

PR chances - Msian Chinese, short duration working in SG

Post by acmk » Thu, 19 Jan 2017 3:02 pm

Hi all, just a quick question: all else being equal, does anecdotal evidence suggest that being divorced has a negative impact on chances of PR approval? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by acmk on Fri, 20 Jan 2017 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Impact of marital status on PR chances

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Jan 2017 8:41 pm

If the PR application was based on Family Ties, it will have a huge negative impact on your PR application. PTS Scheme, probably not so much.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 19 Jan 2017 10:43 pm

Race and ability to contribute children and finances to Singapore it what matters. IF you're a divorcee of either gender with a house full of cats and past the age of having a family it won't help.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

acmk

Post by acmk » Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks guys.

Guess since I've started posting, I might as well go on to give my details and see what you experienced observers feel about my PR chances.

Nationality: Malaysian
Race: Chinese
Profession: Actuary
Salary: 180k annual + bonus
Academic qualifications:
  • 2 degrees from Australia
  • MBA from Scotland
Professional qualifications:
  • Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries, UK
  • Fellow of the Singapore Actuarial Society (there are only about 400 in Singapore)
  • Fellow of the Actuarial Society of Malaysia
  • Chartered Enterprise Risk Actuary from Institute & Faculty of Actuaries UK
Other qualifications: Diploma from Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, UK.
Worked in SG: 6 months
Marital status: Divorced (ex-husband was not Singaporean)
Applying for: myself + 2 daughters aged 4 & 6

I just submitted my application in late 2016, mainly because I was taking a shot at getting the PR in time for P1 registration for my elder daughter. Only after submitting I started reading these forums and realise how tough it would be to even hope for approval after working just 6 months. However this wouldn't have changed my decision in any case. If we get it, great P1 registration will be a breeze. If not, at least we tried.

Other factors that I included in my cover letter which the officer didn't reject:
  1. I studied in Singapore from P1 to Sec 4. So in terms of assimilating into the community, I think I have just as many childhood friends here as the locals.
  • After completing university in Australia I was working in Malaysia for 10 years, but visited Singapore fairly frequently to catch up with friends and family. Visited more frequently after divorce, about every 2 weeks. Even got a frequent traveller pass (or e-IACS) around April 2015 so I can skip the queues at immigration.
  • My elder brother and his 2 children are Singaporean. Sister-in-law is PR. Younger brother has been on EP in Singapore for 5 years. Mother is on LTVP.
  • Plenty of other family members in SG - 4 uncles/aunties who are Singaporean, one auntie SPR, 6 cousins Singaporean, 2 cousins SPR, 1 cousin on EP, 1 cousin on S Pass, 4 cousins on Work Permit.
  • Intend to apply for citizenship for myself and my children, and stated so in the cover letter.
I feel that generally I have a pretty strong case, but do you guys think strong enough for ICA to look past the fact that I've only worked in SG for 6 months? Or actually 5 when I submitted. 8-[

Thanks!
Last edited by acmk on Sat, 21 Jan 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Fri, 20 Jan 2017 9:28 am

acmk wrote:Thanks guys.

Guess since I've started posting, I might as well go on to give my details and see what you experienced observers feel about my PR chances.

Nationality: Malaysian
Race: Chinese
Profession: Actuary
Salary: 180k annual + bonus
Academic qualifications:
  • Bachelor of Commerce (Actuarial Studies) & Bachelor of Information Systems from The University of Melbourne, Australia
  • MBA from Edinburgh Business School, Heriot Watt University, Scotland
Professional qualifications:
  • Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries, UK
  • Fellow of the Singapore Actuarial Society (there are only about 400 in Singapore)
  • Fellow of the Actuarial Society of Malaysia
  • Chartered Enterprise Risk Actuary from Institute & Faculty of Actuaries UK
Other qualifications: Diploma in Islamic Finance from Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, UK.
Worked in SG: 6 months
Marital status: Divorced (ex-husband was not Singaporean)
Applying for: myself + 2 daughters aged 4 & 6

I just submitted my application in late 2016, mainly because I was taking a shot at getting the PR in time for P1 registration for my elder daughter. Only after submitting I started reading these forums and realise how tough it would be to even hope for approval after working just 6 months. However this wouldn't have changed my decision in any case. If we get it, great P1 registration will be a breeze. If not, at least we tried.

Other factors that I included in my cover letter which the officer didn't reject:
  1. I studied in Singapore from P1 to Sec 4. So in terms of assimilating into the community, I think I have just as many childhood friends here as the locals.
  • After completing university in Australia I was working in Malaysia for 10 years, but visited Singapore fairly frequently to catch up with friends and family. Visited more frequently after divorce, about every 2 weeks. Even got a frequent traveller pass (or e-IACS) around April 2015 so I can skip the queues at immigration.
  • My elder brother and his 2 children are Singaporean. Sister-in-law is PR. Younger brother has been on EP in Singapore for 5 years. Mother is on LTVP.
  • Plenty of other family members in SG - 4 uncles/aunties who are Singaporean, one auntie SPR, 6 cousins Singaporean, 2 cousins SPR, 1 cousin on EP, 1 cousin on S Pass, 4 cousins on Work Permit.
  • Intend to apply for citizenship for myself and my children, and stated so in the cover letter.
I feel that generally I have a pretty strong case, but do you guys think strong enough for ICA to look past the fact that I've only worked in SG for 6 months? Or actually 5 when I submitted. 8-[

Thanks!
The keywords are Chinese Malaysian female. Your other qualifications, background and economic situation are a plus. So IMO, you should have a good chance. If you are rejected, it will probably be due to the short amount of time employed in Singapore.