Singapore Expats Forum

PR chances - Msian Chinese, short duration working in SG

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
acmk

PR chances - Msian Chinese, short duration working in SG

Postby acmk » Thu, 19 Jan 2017 3:02 pm

Hi all, just a quick question: all else being equal, does anecdotal evidence suggest that being divorced has a negative impact on chances of PR approval? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by acmk on Fri, 20 Jan 2017 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Impact of marital status on PR chances

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Jan 2017 8:41 pm

If the PR application was based on Family Ties, it will have a huge negative impact on your PR application. PTS Scheme, probably not so much.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 19 Jan 2017 10:43 pm

Race and ability to contribute children and finances to Singapore it what matters. IF you're a divorcee of either gender with a house full of cats and past the age of having a family it won't help.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

acmk

Postby acmk » Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks guys.

Guess since I've started posting, I might as well go on to give my details and see what you experienced observers feel about my PR chances.

Nationality: Malaysian
Race: Chinese
Profession: Actuary
Salary: 180k annual + bonus
Academic qualifications:
    2 degrees from Australia
    MBA from Scotland
Professional qualifications:
    Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries, UK
    Fellow of the Singapore Actuarial Society (there are only about 400 in Singapore)
    Fellow of the Actuarial Society of Malaysia
    Chartered Enterprise Risk Actuary from Institute & Faculty of Actuaries UK
Other qualifications: Diploma from Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, UK.
Worked in SG: 6 months
Marital status: Divorced (ex-husband was not Singaporean)
Applying for: myself + 2 daughters aged 4 & 6

I just submitted my application in late 2016, mainly because I was taking a shot at getting the PR in time for P1 registration for my elder daughter. Only after submitting I started reading these forums and realise how tough it would be to even hope for approval after working just 6 months. However this wouldn't have changed my decision in any case. If we get it, great P1 registration will be a breeze. If not, at least we tried.

Other factors that I included in my cover letter which the officer didn't reject:
    I studied in Singapore from P1 to Sec 4. So in terms of assimilating into the community, I think I have just as many childhood friends here as the locals.
    After completing university in Australia I was working in Malaysia for 10 years, but visited Singapore fairly frequently to catch up with friends and family. Visited more frequently after divorce, about every 2 weeks. Even got a frequent traveller pass (or e-IACS) around April 2015 so I can skip the queues at immigration.
    My elder brother and his 2 children are Singaporean. Sister-in-law is PR. Younger brother has been on EP in Singapore for 5 years. Mother is on LTVP.
    Plenty of other family members in SG - 4 uncles/aunties who are Singaporean, one auntie SPR, 6 cousins Singaporean, 2 cousins SPR, 1 cousin on EP, 1 cousin on S Pass, 4 cousins on Work Permit.
    Intend to apply for citizenship for myself and my children, and stated so in the cover letter.

I feel that generally I have a pretty strong case, but do you guys think strong enough for ICA to look past the fact that I've only worked in SG for 6 months? Or actually 5 when I submitted. 8-[

Thanks!
Last edited by acmk on Sat, 21 Jan 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

bro75
Chatter
Chatter

Postby bro75 » Fri, 20 Jan 2017 9:28 am

acmk wrote:Thanks guys.

Guess since I've started posting, I might as well go on to give my details and see what you experienced observers feel about my PR chances.

Nationality: Malaysian
Race: Chinese
Profession: Actuary
Salary: 180k annual + bonus
Academic qualifications:
    Bachelor of Commerce (Actuarial Studies) & Bachelor of Information Systems from The University of Melbourne, Australia
    MBA from Edinburgh Business School, Heriot Watt University, Scotland
Professional qualifications:
    Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries, UK
    Fellow of the Singapore Actuarial Society (there are only about 400 in Singapore)
    Fellow of the Actuarial Society of Malaysia
    Chartered Enterprise Risk Actuary from Institute & Faculty of Actuaries UK
Other qualifications: Diploma in Islamic Finance from Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, UK.
Worked in SG: 6 months
Marital status: Divorced (ex-husband was not Singaporean)
Applying for: myself + 2 daughters aged 4 & 6

I just submitted my application in late 2016, mainly because I was taking a shot at getting the PR in time for P1 registration for my elder daughter. Only after submitting I started reading these forums and realise how tough it would be to even hope for approval after working just 6 months. However this wouldn't have changed my decision in any case. If we get it, great P1 registration will be a breeze. If not, at least we tried.

Other factors that I included in my cover letter which the officer didn't reject:
    I studied in Singapore from P1 to Sec 4. So in terms of assimilating into the community, I think I have just as many childhood friends here as the locals.
    After completing university in Australia I was working in Malaysia for 10 years, but visited Singapore fairly frequently to catch up with friends and family. Visited more frequently after divorce, about every 2 weeks. Even got a frequent traveller pass (or e-IACS) around April 2015 so I can skip the queues at immigration.
    My elder brother and his 2 children are Singaporean. Sister-in-law is PR. Younger brother has been on EP in Singapore for 5 years. Mother is on LTVP.
    Plenty of other family members in SG - 4 uncles/aunties who are Singaporean, one auntie SPR, 6 cousins Singaporean, 2 cousins SPR, 1 cousin on EP, 1 cousin on S Pass, 4 cousins on Work Permit.
    Intend to apply for citizenship for myself and my children, and stated so in the cover letter.

I feel that generally I have a pretty strong case, but do you guys think strong enough for ICA to look past the fact that I've only worked in SG for 6 months? Or actually 5 when I submitted. 8-[

Thanks!

The keywords are Chinese Malaysian female. Your other qualifications, background and economic situation are a plus. So IMO, you should have a good chance. If you are rejected, it will probably be due to the short amount of time employed in Singapore.