Singapore Expats

logistics questions

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
beedao
Regular
Regular

logistics questions

Post by beedao » Mon, 16 Jan 2017 12:01 pm

Hi all,

I have a few questions, long story cut short.

I helped one of my customers to do a transshipment from Europe to Vietnam (via Singapore).

He arranged everything in Europe, I just arranged the logistics part from Singapore to VN. My forwarding agent (here I call him David) informed me last week that his agent in VN told him the consignee ran way without clearing the cargo. This container is still lying at the VN port since November 2015 and all the port charges involving around USD 22,000 now (we thought he cleared it long ago). The carrier is now claiming all the port charges from David, which he is claiming against me.

I asked my forwarding friend in VN and he advised me to ask the carrier to apply the auction with the VN customs to cover all the costs. Obviously, the carrier is now very angry and announced he will black list my agent David and they will ask their legal team to send him the lawyer letter.

My question here is am i liable with the charges in VN and do they have the right to sue us since we cant control over if the consignee will run away and abandon the cargo? Im still puzzling why the consignee ran away since his cargo is worth around USD 65,000, and till now Im unable to contact him at all.

I don’t have any contract with David, I just booked the containers from him, im not sure if he has any contract with the carrier though.

Another question: does anyone know any commercial lawyer to recommend? just in case, I might need one. Is there any channel i can ask for advise regarding this matter?

Appreciate if anyone with logistics background's advise or anyone knows any lawyer's contact please PM me. thank you.
Dream what you want to dream; Go where you want to go; Be what you want to be; Because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do!

MichelleSimpson

Re: logistics questions

Post by MichelleSimpson » Mon, 17 Apr 2017 1:52 pm

Have you got any commercial lawyer? My friend faced this problem when doing a transshipment to France(Paris). He also hired a lawyer by referencing over here for the future. Consulting an attorney is a smart idea if you need some general help and it saves your valuable time.

beedao
Regular
Regular

Re: logistics questions

Post by beedao » Mon, 17 Apr 2017 1:56 pm

hey michelle, thanks for your reply. I have some lawyers' contacts on hand already, just in case. Thanks :)
Dream what you want to dream; Go where you want to go; Be what you want to be; Because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do!