Singapore Expats

Looking to move back to the UK

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
snakebite

Re: Looking to move back to the UK

Post by snakebite » Fri, 14 Apr 2017 10:46 am

I visited the UK a few months ago after a hiatus of about 4 years and, on balance, I simply hate the place.

There are great things about the UK - sport, countryside, mountains, rivers, parks, animals, gutsy people, education, healthcare, history and all that. But for me, everything is ruined simply because of crime and lack of respect for law and order.

Like me, you will have gotten used to, and taken for granted, the peace, safety and security of Singapore. I dread having to go back to the UK, where wandering into "no go" areas in the dark could get you mugged or worse. Kids hanging out by shops causing trouble. Vandalism. Drugs. Drunken fights. Getting beaten up just because you looked at someone the wrong way. To me this means you simply cannot enjoy your life no matter how much you try. In the UK, you will come across thuggish behaviour and just one experience is enough to make you worry about your kids.

Let's not even mention the high taxes we would have to pay for the "privilege" of living there.

Mila Smith

Post by Mila Smith » Thu, 20 Apr 2017 9:59 pm

Well, I quite understand the author’s desire to move back to the UK, myself I am not from England, but looking forward to come back to Europe and one day I will for my daughter’s education. For now when she’s 4 years old we are good here, but I know we will have to leave SG sooner or later. As many of you guys know, now Europe is a questionable place to live at, especially for us having been expats in Singapore/Asia for 5-10-15 (?) years. Things don’t stay the same, every time coming back to Europe I can see changes, and yes, sometimes not for good, but still I understand why people with families go back to live there. Honestly for me the worst thing is that I am somewhere in the middle, I don’t belong here and don’t belong there anymore…
We give our family 3 more years in Singapore, while living here we are thinking about our return and working on passive income plan: we want to buy rental property in Barcelona https://tranio.com/spain/catalonia/barcelona/ which is affordable now and will be profitable for many years in the future. We already have a small apartment in Netherlands which is also rented out and where we are going to live, at least for first time we will have some “safety bag” there. I’d move back now, honestly, but my family is better here, so I’m happy where they are. Well, a bit nostalgic post :oops:
Life is short, paddle harder!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 21 Apr 2017 9:56 am

It sounds as though you have it worked out Mila.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Fri, 21 Apr 2017 8:42 pm

snakebite wrote: Like me, you will have gotten used to, and taken for granted, the peace, safety and security of Singapore. I dread having to go back to the UK, where wandering into "no go" areas in the dark could get you mugged or worse. Kids hanging out by shops causing trouble. Vandalism. Drugs. Drunken fights. Getting beaten up just because you looked at someone the wrong way. To me this means you simply cannot enjoy your life no matter how much you try. In the UK, you will come across thuggish behaviour and just one experience is enough to make you worry about your kids.
Where in the UK did you go, Moss Side??? I know those things happen in places, but I don't see any of it where I live, nor experience it when I'm in (central) London.

Of course, everyone has different perspectives on things but possibly you had a bit of reverse culture shock after 4 years and are now more accustomed to the zombie-like locals that amble around Singapore and feel threatened by people with a bit of life in them who show emotions?
I HAVE MASTERS!

PeanutButterJam

Post by PeanutButterJam » Tue, 25 Apr 2017 9:28 am

Mila Smith wrote:Well, I quite understand the author’s desire to move back to the UK, myself I am not from England, but looking forward to come back to Europe and one day I will for my daughter’s education. For now when she’s 4 years old we are good here, but I know we will have to leave SG sooner or later. As many of you guys know, now Europe is a questionable place to live at, especially for us having been expats in Singapore/Asia for 5-10-15 (?) years. Things don’t stay the same, every time coming back to Europe I can see changes, and yes, sometimes not for good, but still I understand why people with families go back to live there. Honestly for me the worst thing is that I am somewhere in the middle, I don’t belong here and don’t belong there anymore…
We give our family 3 more years in Singapore, while living here we are thinking about our return and working on passive income plan: we want to buy rental property in Barcelona https://tranio.com/spain/catalonia/barcelona/ which is affordable now and will be profitable for many years in the future. We already have a small apartment in Netherlands which is also rented out and where we are going to live, at least for first time we will have some “safety bag” there. I’d move back now, honestly, but my family is better here, so I’m happy where they are. Well, a bit nostalgic post :oops:
I was almost about to apply for Singapore citizenship a year back. Did all the research, and was about to do it, when subsequent political events in the U.K. changed my mind. Suddenly I miss the country, and all that it means to me. And I wish for my children to experience the world I grew up in hence the desire to move back.

Of cos it means we might most likely lose SPR once we move back. It's difficult to explain; I see Singapore as a place I'm very comfortable in, and without a doubt it's a great place, but I love the UK with all its imperfections too.

Tough decision.