Singapore Expats

Dispute with Fitness first

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
lalitpct

Dispute with Fitness first

Post by lalitpct » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 4:46 pm

we went to fitness first gym for trial classes and as per verbal aggrement it was agreed that after 7 days of trial we can decide to continue or not.but we signed the contract and paid using Debit card.
After 7 days we told that we wont continue with the program.
for trial class they charged 90 sgd which we paid but after that every month they are charging 155 sgd now even though I am not using the facilities.

when contacted initially they refused to acknowledged and now have asked to write email.
Need help on how I should go ahead with this . what are the points I can raise in mail.
I know there are very less chances to get back the money.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Dispute with Fitness first

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 6:00 pm

Was the 7 day trial period written down anywhere? Did you tell them in writing or verbally that you didn't want to continue?

lalitpct

Post by lalitpct » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 6:31 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Was the 7 day trial period written down anywhere? Did you tell them in writing or verbally that you didn't want to continue?
Nope but the person in charge mentioned that unless we authorize they wont deduct anything.
I know what u r thinking how can we go ahead with something verbally committed :)
Damage is done and now I just want to try to get money back .. if not full atleast something.
so want to know how we can put that in the email , the advantage is they will coming for promotion to our company and same lady who committed verbally is coming for the promotion.
that is the one of the reason she is asking to send email so that she can follow up with her management..

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 6:41 pm

Did you cancel the trial in writing?

lalitpct

Post by lalitpct » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 6:46 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Did you cancel the trial in writing?
Nope :(

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 6:51 pm

I would write a very simple, factual e-mail giving a bullet point summary of the situation and ask them politely to cancel your contract.

Others may know if there are any 'cooling off' type consumer protections in SG. However I doubt these would still apply.

It sounds like you are at the mercy of a corporations good graces and the ethics of one of their sales reps.

lalitpct

Post by lalitpct » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 7:46 pm

brian_singapore wrote:I would write a very simple, factual e-mail giving a bullet point summary of the situation and ask them politely to cancel your contract.

Others may know if there are any 'cooling off' type consumer protections in SG. However I doubt these would still apply.

It sounds like you are at the mercy of a corporations good graces and the ethics of one of their sales reps.
yes what are the things I should highlight ?? and which I should refrain from highlighting as the lady looks apologetic but management obviously will throw contract at us.
and also they are coming for promtional event .

lalitpct

Post by lalitpct » Wed, 11 Jan 2017 11:54 am

brian_singapore wrote:I would write a very simple, factual e-mail giving a bullet point summary of the situation and ask them politely to cancel your contract.

Does below sound ok ?

I would like to inform that I attended 7-days trial class in your prestigious gym at XXXX..
XXX representative informed that after 7 days of trial class I can decide to continue or not.
However I was unable to continue because of the personal reasons and i informed the representative that i dont want to continue.
On checking resentment statement i realised that for past 4 months monthly charges have been deducted from my account by XXX.
Request you to reimburse the amount debited, as I have already informed that I wont be continuing.
Note : To avoid further issues we have cancelled the card used for the payment.

jan9028

Post by jan9028 » Sat, 02 Feb 2019 2:53 pm

I had bad experience with Fitness First recently. Please be careful signing up with them.

When I signed up for a 12-month contract at Paya Lebar a month ago, the agent lied to me that I will be getting a 50% promotional discount for my first month fee.

I was shocked FFP Paya Lebar charged me the first fee at full amount. I'm trying to get the subscription cancelled and get my money back. I don't trust them anymore.

Please don't fall for the scam.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sun, 08 Nov 2020 10:34 am

I never sign up any subscription packages be it for fitness or beauty. I would pay for per use basis, if packages are available do ensure they are written in and black and white and also 'read the fine prints'. I know most of us are lazy to read the fine prints but that's where the details are.

lalitpct, might be good to look through the contract to see the clause for early termination.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 2:15 pm

Gyms are basically margin thin enterprises that rely on these tricks to make money unfortunately.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 09 Nov 2020 5:51 pm

That's so true. Subscription is how they could survive. Other trades to be wary of packages are beauty services. Shops closing down before you use up your package or inability to book for appointments once you've bought the packages.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 10 Nov 2020 7:40 am

^ I'd add dental clinics to your list Abby. Some of them try this and it never works out well for the consumer.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!