Singapore Expats

PR rejected - Re-appeal or wait for 2 years?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sba

PR rejected - Re-appeal or wait for 2 years?

Post by sba » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:18 am

Hi All,

As much as I already understand from reading posts on this board, re-appealing without any significant change in circumstances is a futile attempt - would still be good to have a second opinion.

Joint application with spouse. 1st Application. Applied Aug 16, Rejected Jan 17 (Checked online, haven't received the letter yet)

Profile:

Race: Indian
Marital status: Married (for 3 years)
Children: None yet, planning soon
Education: MBA from global top 25 school (Top 3 in Asia)
Working with: Singaporean firm in Logistics. Regional role
Salary: S$ 150k+ (per annum, excluding bonus, options)
Length of stay: ~4 years+ total (2.3 years with current firm, 1.5 years with an MNC)

Profile of Spouse:

Race: Indian
Education: MBA from global top 30 school (Top 5 in Asia)
Working with: Singaporean firm in Logistics. Strategy role
Salary: S$ 110k+ (per annum, excluding bonus, options)
Length of stay: 2 years

A couple of questions/thoughts

1. I was working in Singapore between 2009-10. I went back to India to startup, eventually sold off startup and returned back to Singapore in 2014. Will that count for me (the fact that I did come back to Singapore, I must really like it right :)) or against me?

2. While applying, I attached my older 2008 (I was here doing an internship then), 2009 and 2010 NOA's. Do you think they were considered in the application or only the ones this time around were considered?

3. We have very recently started to get involved with grass-root volunteering but don't want to explicitly highlight that in a potential re-appeal as that seems rather opportunistic.

Do you think an immediate re-appeal makes sense or would you recommend waiting it out for say 2-3 years before re-applying? I know the more sane thing would be to wait it out, but want to assess if there's any downside to re-appealing just now.

Thanks!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PR rejected - Re-appeal or wait for 2 years?

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:37 am

sba wrote:

1. I was working in Singapore between 2009-10. I went back to India to startup, eventually sold off startup and returned back to Singapore in 2014. Will that count for me (the fact that I did come back to Singapore, I must really like it right :)) or against me?

For period of residency, they won't count your 2009-10 stay in Singapore. It may go against you, as you are found to go back when needed instead of continuing to work in Singapore.

2. While applying, I attached my older 2008 (I was here doing an internship then), 2009 and 2010 NOA's. Do you think they were considered in the application or only the ones this time around were considered?
- Not of much use.

3. We have very recently started to get involved with grass-root volunteering but don't want to explicitly highlight that in a potential re-appeal as that seems rather opportunistic.
- Not of much use. Too many applicants have abused this.

Do you think an immediate re-appeal makes sense or would you recommend waiting it out for say 2-3 years before re-applying?

No point re-appealing immediately, as no significant change in application details.