Singapore Expats Forum

Public service announcement

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

jpatokal

Public service announcement

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 26 Apr 2004 8:39 pm

This is a public service announcement: if you go travel for a while, don't leave the toilet lid up at home. Otherwise you just might return to find that you have a new tenant: namely a colony of mosquitoes inside the bowl :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is also why everybody keeps sinks, bathtubs etc plugged up when not in use... and, this being Singapore, leaving uncovered standing water anywhere is grounds for a fine too.

NBB

Postby NBB » Tue, 27 Apr 2004 1:52 am

Don't get it JP. Your lid seals the bowl? I've never seen that. Most have rubber pads that raise the lid half an inch off the bowl instead. I doubt that this would deter a mozzie, eh?

Best to add a teaspoon of olive oil (or some such). The miniscule film of oil on the surface will prevent mosquitoes from accessing the water quite effectively and is long-lasting as well.

NBB

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 27 Apr 2004 9:31 pm

No, it doesn't exactly seal, but the space left is just a few millimeters, much less than half an inch. It'd have to be a pretty determined moz to squeeze its way in there... and, as I live on the 12th floor, they aren't particularly frequent visitors in the first place.

But thanks for the olive oil tip, I'll have to try that the next time I head out for a longer time.