Singapore Expats

SVP Application & Applying via SAVE

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
danliang137

SVP Application & Applying via SAVE

Post by danliang137 » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 6:06 pm

Dear all,

My gf and I have been dating for 5+ years. She currently works in a MNC in HK and holds PRC passport. We travel to SG and HK once a month each and while the SVP works, wanted to check if there is any other alternatives that could make things easier. I'm trying to see if she'd be willing to move to SG to start a family given she's in good position with her firm in HK.

Second questions is I had a friend I've know during my college days in Chicago. She wanted to visit SG as a tourist so I applied for her via SAVE some time in Sep 2016 but got rejected. Given I applied right before her travel date, I didn't bother appealing at ICA. I have no reason why she was rejected, she comes from a very well off family and as far as I understand has not visited SG before.

Wanted to check if her rejection will (i) negatively affect her in her future applications to visit SG and (ii) negatively affect my ability to apply for SVP for my gf via SAVE.

I'm Singaporean and I clear the salary requirements etc.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. Since she comes over monthly and I fly over monthly to HK, I would need to continuously reapply for new SVP for her via SAVE. Heard stories that it might create issues for approval, please kindly let me know if there is anything I could do to avoid those. She would typically comes for 2-3 day visits over the weekend, at times up to 5 days if there is extended vacation in HK. Round trip ticket each time. Thanks.
Last edited by danliang137 on Mon, 09 Jan 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: SVP Application & Applying via SAVE

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 6:17 pm

danliang137 wrote:
Second questions is I had a friend I've know during my college days in Chicago. She wanted to visit SG as a tourist so I applied for her via SAVE some time in Sep 2016 but got rejected. Given I applied right before her travel date, I didn't bother appealing at ICA. I have no reason why she was rejected, she comes from a very well off family and as far as I understand has not visited SG before.

Wanted to check if her rejection will
(i) negatively affect her in her future applications to visit SG and
- May be. depends on why it was rejected earlier. It can be a small issue like typo, etc or a big reason too. So, we cant guess here.

(ii) negatively affect my ability to apply for SVP for my gf via SAVE.
- No, it won't affect

P.S. Since she comes over monthly and I fly over monthly to HK, I would need to continuously reapply for new SVP for her via SAVE, wanted to know if applying one after another would create any issues for approval. Thanks.

Once She has visited 2-3 times a year and if you reapply again and again, it will surely raise eyebrows.

danliang137

Post by danliang137 » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 6:25 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
danliang137 wrote:

Wanted to check if her rejection will
(i) negatively affect her in her future applications to visit SG and
- May be. depends on why it was rejected earlier. It can be a small issue like typo, etc or a big reason too. So, we cant guess here.

(ii) negatively affect my ability to apply for SVP for my gf via SAVE.
- No, it won't affect

P.S. Since she comes over monthly and I fly over monthly to HK, I would need to continuously reapply for new SVP for her via SAVE, wanted to know if applying one after another would create any issues for approval. Thanks.

Once She has visited 2-3 times a year and if you reapply again and again, it will surely raise eyebrows.
Thanks for the reply.

For part 3 that's the one I don't understand. If I'm dating someone with the intention to get married in the near future, of course she visits me frequently on the weekends. In fact if she doesn't I don't see how I can convince her to just quit her job and move over. Does it help if she only stays for 2-3 days each time over the weekends?

I'm understand why this might raise eyebrowns in certain situations but I think it's pretty dumb at the same time. Is there any suggestions around how I could potentially avoid this / reduce the chance of it happening? Thanks.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 7:25 pm

We can't say it as dumb. Because to issue a long term pass, they want solid support that it will end in marriage. If yes, after marriage you can apply for LTSVP.

Prior to marriage, just to make sure that your GF is eligible for LTSVP, you can apply for the "Pre-Marriage Long-Term Visit Pass Assessment"

If she visits SG every alternate months even for 2-3 days, it might raise eyebrows.

silvermoon137

Post by silvermoon137 » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 7:36 pm

Dan here. I understand the LT requirement part but not how visiting each month for 2-3 days might raise eyebrowns. I'm applying for SVP and is it not normal for people dating but working in different locations to visit each other monthly?

If she was staying for long time or doing visa runs sure it should raise eyebrowns but making weekend trips in the 21st century. I'm not sure I agree with that. Thanks for the advice though bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: SVP Application & Applying via SAVE

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 10:06 pm

silvermoon137 wrote:Dan here. I understand the LT requirement part but not how visiting each month for 2-3 days might raise eyebrowns. I'm applying for SVP and is it not normal for people dating but working in different locations to visit each other monthly?

If she was staying for long time or doing visa runs sure it should raise eyebrowns but making weekend trips in the 21st century. I'm not sure I agree with that. Thanks for the advice though bro.

not to state the obvious, if she was holding any other passport, she won't be put under any watch list.

I am sure you knew that.

And, this is Asia, if are dating for months, it would be safer to get some form of longer residency than pushing your luck :)

edited: missed the part about dating for 5+ years ... Good luck.

Just remember this, even with a VISA, ICA can and has refused entry on arrival.

danliang137

Post by danliang137 » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 10:13 pm

ecureilx wrote:
silvermoon137 wrote:Dan here. I understand the LT requirement part but not how visiting each month for 2-3 days might raise eyebrowns. I'm applying for SVP and is it not normal for people dating but working in different locations to visit each other monthly?

not to state the obvious, if she was holding any other passport, she won't be put under any watch list.

I am sure you knew that.

And, this is Asia, if are dating for months, it would be safer to get some form of longer residency than pushing your luck :)

edited: missed the part about dating for 5+ years ... Good luck.

Just remember this, even with a VISA, ICA can and has refused entry on arrival.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. Again 5+ years and we started dating in US before having to relocate back to Asia. It's kinda hard to convince someone to relocate to SG in the near term when the country's custom officers tries to treat you like a convict every time you come haha.

Also I disagree with you point on her holding PRC passport. I actually asked this questions cause my friend's Thai gf whom he was also dating in US before relocating back to Asia got denied access at Changi because she got a new passport and did not bring her prior one so she could not "prove" that she came to SG before. Heard similar stories for my Vietnamese SG friend and his gf.

Seems that guys coming in are mostly fine and not girls. Maybe Gov and go and sweep all the "luring nightlife places" that they think girls want to work in instead lol. Just my two cents worth.

To be honest if they do give her any issues I'll just have to relocate overseas. I really want to be home but if our gov makes it so difficult for our own citizens I don't know what to do lol.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 10:28 pm

It's not the government who makes it difficult, it's the Ah Pek's who cannot say no to a young thing who will cater to his every need will draining his banks account and CPF and then ditching him to find another rube. (Mostly elderly Chinese Males - I'm sure you've known a few who were ripped of royally). When that keeps happening, well, you know your own government. A Nanny state who tries to protect people from themselves. This usually causes a lot a grief for those like you and your intended, from enjoying their courtship that way it should be allowed. What to do? There is no welfare system in Singapore as you well know, so the government has to somehow restrain men from being men.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

danliang137

Post by danliang137 » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 10:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's not the government who makes it difficult, it's the Ah Pek's who cannot say no to a young thing who will cater to his every need will draining his banks account and CPF and then ditching him to find another rube. (Mostly elderly Chinese Males - I'm sure you've known a few who were ripped of royally). When that keeps happening, well, you know your own government. A Nanny state who tries to protect people from themselves. This usually causes a lot a grief for those like you and your intended, from enjoying their courtship that way it should be allowed. What to do? There is no welfare system in Singapore as you well know, so the government has to somehow restrain men from being men.
I'm all for restricting entry of most. I mean the number of joints has increased pretty sharply these days and it's quite worrying for me.

Yet I think it would be worthwhile to put in some effort on ICA's part and ask for more materials. I can always provide more stuff for them to evaluate mah plus got age and all haha. Back in 1990s and early 2000s everyone want to come to SG cause its a lot better here mah, not sure if that's still a simple an equation today as it was back then lah.

If got questionable practise I'm all for clamping down, but if come by visit me for one weekend per month also can be reason for denial, just sounds like people are going through the motion to me haha.

See how lah I update you. Thanks boss for the input. Btw anyway to avoid these kind of unnecessary issues? Like come once per 2 month instead of once per month? Will always been weekend trip one so I not worried about extended stay or staying more than 5 days that kind of stuff.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 11:01 pm

danliang137 wrote: Yet I think it would be worthwhile to put in some effort on ICA's part and ask for more materials. I can always provide more stuff for them to evaluate mah plus got age and all haha. Back in 1990s and early 2000s everyone want to come to SG cause its a lot better here mah, not sure if that's still a simple an equation today as it was back then lah.
Singapore is still rich enough to be an attractive destination for the hundreds of jobseekers who land every day, from Asia ..
danliang137 wrote:.
See how lah I update you. Thanks boss for the input. Btw anyway to avoid these kind of unnecessary issues? Like come once per 2 month instead of once per month? Will always been weekend trip one so I not worried about extended stay or staying more than 5 days that kind of stuff.
as for providing more stuff etc, the solution is obvious :D

Get married, get long term pass - problem gone!!

I guess marriage is not on the plans any time in the near future ??

Then no choice....

danliang137

Post by danliang137 » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 11:04 pm

ecureilx wrote:
danliang137 wrote: Yet I think it would be worthwhile to put in some effort on ICA's part and ask for more materials. I can always provide more stuff for them to evaluate mah plus got age and all haha. Back in 1990s and early 2000s everyone want to come to SG cause its a lot better here mah, not sure if that's still a simple an equation today as it was back then lah.
Singapore is still rich enough to be an attractive destination for the hundreds of jobseekers who land every day, from Asia ..
danliang137 wrote:.
as for providing more stuff etc, the solution is obvious :D

Get married, get long term pass - problem gone!!

I guess marriage is not on the plans any time in the near future ??

Then no choice....
married must first show her where she live right haha. precisely cause we're looking at marriage that's why important to visit and build up a liking for SG. this whole marriage whatever thing is really pretty outdated IMHO. still got all the approvals lol. no offense but i think rather than do 1X blanket policy much better to review properly lah.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SVP Application & Applying via SAVE

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 11:35 pm

danliang137 wrote: married must first show her where she live right haha. precisely cause we're looking at marriage that's why important to visit and build up a liking for SG. this whole marriage whatever thing is really pretty outdated IMHO. still got all the approvals lol. no offense but i think rather than do 1X blanket policy much better to review properly lah.
I thought you knew marriage simplifies residency headaches, not just in Singapore but in most places.

I am speechless, how many more years she'll need to get a liking :)

Good luck !! Keep trucking!!

danliang137

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SVP Application & Applying via SAVE

Post by danliang137 » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 11:47 pm

ecureilx wrote:
danliang137 wrote: married must first show her where she live right haha. precisely cause we're looking at marriage that's why important to visit and build up a liking for SG. this whole marriage whatever thing is really pretty outdated IMHO. still got all the approvals lol. no offense but i think rather than do 1X blanket policy much better to review properly lah.
I thought you knew marriage simplifies residency headaches, not just in Singapore but in most places.

I am speechless, how many more years she'll need to get a liking :)

Good luck !! Keep trucking!!
Lol we previously in US she only been to SG twice. Like someone ask you go Australia you sure need to visit many times before quitting your job to move over right lol.

Also we're one of the only few countries that got all the complexed process for approval post marriage haha. Unfortunately we actually need that haha. See how see how.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SVP Application & Applying via SAVE

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:02 am

danliang137 wrote: Lol we previously in US she only been to SG twice. Like someone ask you go Australia you sure need to visit many times before quitting your job to move over right lol.
like visits for 5 years ? That makes a lot of sense :)
Also we're one of the only few countries that got all the complexed process for approval post marriage haha. Unfortunately we actually need that haha. See how see how.
Singapore tightened the policies .. .. because Citizens Asked for it. Need I say more ? :)

danliang137

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SVP Application & Applying via SAVE

Post by danliang137 » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:15 am

ecureilx wrote:
danliang137 wrote: Lol we previously in US she only been to SG twice. Like someone ask you go Australia you sure need to visit many times before quitting your job to move over right lol.

like visits for 5 years ? That makes a lot of sense :)
Definitely more than 4 days in total over a period of 6 month lol.

Singapore tightened the policies .. .. because Citizens Asked for it. Need I say more ? :)
lol please refer to above I agreed that we needed it =)