Singapore Expats

Potential overstay while applying for another country's visa in Singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
duybachhpvn

Potential overstay while applying for another country's visa in Singapore

Post by duybachhpvn » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 11:41 am

Hi all,

My EP will expire on 1 April. However I will need to submit a visa application for Ireland in February and the process will take very long, during which I will not have my passport with me. IF the process is longer than 1 April, what will happen to me, will I be considered as overstaying in Singapore when my EP expires in that case?

I don't even have my passport to travel at that time. Is there any kind of applying for overstay in that case?

Thanks

x9200

Re: Potential overstay while applying for another country's visa in Singapore

Post by x9200 » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 12:26 pm

How is it possible you won't have your passport for so long? Sounds very weird. I don't think ICA will be that willing to give you any extension based on that claim.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Potential overstay while applying for another country's visa in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 12:31 pm

x9200 wrote:I don't think ICA will be that willing to give you any extension based on that claim.
ICA won't give extension for above excuse !

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 1:26 pm

I thought that once your EP is cancelled, you will be given a one month Social Visit Pass. Not sure if this is in practice now.

duybachhpvn

Post by duybachhpvn » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 2:25 pm

Hi all,

Actually I just checked, my employment in Singapore ends on 31 Jan so that I will have to cancel my EP earlier and they will issue a Social Visit Pass for 1 month. If I don't have my passport with me, only have scanned copy of it, can I renew that Social Visit Pass if my new visa application for Ireland exceed my Social Visit Pass? For the purpose of waiting for new visa application...

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 2:44 pm

duybachhpvn wrote:Hi all,

Actually I just checked, my employment in Singapore ends on 31 Jan so that I will have to cancel my EP earlier and they will issue a Social Visit Pass for 1 month. If I don't have my passport with me, only have scanned copy of it, can I renew that Social Visit Pass if my new visa application for Ireland exceed my Social Visit Pass? For the purpose of waiting for new visa application...
After giving SVP for 1 month, getting another extension will not be easy. For application for online extension of SVP, you don't need the physical copy of the passport, but for extension at ICA, you will surely need the original. It is somewhat fishy that you won't have the passport for such a long time.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Potential overstay while applying for another country's visa in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 7:48 pm

duybachhpvn wrote:Hi all,

you can attempt a one time 30 day renewal online. That doesn't need passport.

But again, the purpose of waiting for Ireland visa won't fly. Get over it.

When you request extension they don't ask why. But ask you to agree you won't ask any more extension ...

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:56 am

Better apply for that visa now. How long are you expecting it to take?

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 1:28 pm

Assuming he's applying for a work permit, the submission guidelines for a work permit in Ireland stipulate you can expect a decision within 8 weeks of submission, all applications are are processed in date order and original documents (including your passport and all previous passports) must be submitted with the application and will be returned to you once your application has been processed.

I guess not all countries are as efficient as Singapore. I am a bit surprised. Most situations I've been in for this kind of thing either required a certified copy of your passport and/or your passport to be presented on application and again for a visa sticker once the application has been approved.

I have had to submit my passport for some visas with my applicaiton, but decisions were generally granted in 3 days to 1 week (i.e. simple tourist or business visas (not work permits)).

I guess for most people moving to Ireland from their home country this isn't really that onerous. But for individuals such as the OP who have a timing issue it can create problems.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Em ... mits%20etc.)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 1:33 pm

They are probably a bit busy with all the Brits applying for Irish passports due to Brexit.