Singapore Expats Forum

Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

Teja
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun, 08 Jan 2017

Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Postby Teja » Sun, 08 Jan 2017 6:27 pm

Hi Friends

I am foreigner from India and living in Singapore with an EP in a IT firm. We came to know that my wife is conceived one week before when I traveled to Singapore. Need your valuable suggestions regarding below points:

1. Can she have an delivery in Singapore.

2. If she had delivery here(Singapore) for which citizenship I need to apply.

Please share your experience and suggestion. Thank you

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016

Re: Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Postby jamie9vardy » Sun, 08 Jan 2017 6:57 pm

Teja wrote:Hi Friends

I am foreigner from India and living in Singapore with an EP in a IT firm. We came to know that my wife is conceived one week before when I traveled to Singapore. Need your valuable suggestions regarding below points:

1. Can she have an delivery in Singapore.

2. If she had delivery here(Singapore) for which citizenship I need to apply.

Please share your experience and suggestion. Thank you


1. What's your wife's immigration status? Is she on Dependent Pass? Otherwise, this may be relevant:

https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=237&secid=171

Also, you will need to consider the costs and benefits of delivering in SG. Medical expenses, support system (relatives), etc.

2. Your child will be an Indian national. Giving birth in SG doesn't make your child an SC automatically.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 08 Jan 2017 7:07 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:1. What's your wife's immigration status? Is she on Dependent Pass? Otherwise, this may be relevant:

https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=237&secid=171

Also, you will need to consider the costs and benefits of delivering in SG. Medical expenses, support system (relatives), etc.

2. Your child will be an Indian national. Giving birth in SG doesn't make your child an SC automatically.


lol, the part about which citizenship.

Singapore has no welfare system and no citizenship by birth by being born in Singapore :) not even Long Term pass or even PR by birth in Singapore :)

back to OP, with the birth certificate head to Indian High Commission to register the birth.

They will advice the process accordingly.

If you can easily afford the cost of giving birth in Singapore

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016

Re: Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Postby jamie9vardy » Sun, 08 Jan 2017 7:36 pm

ecureilx wrote:lol, the part about which citizenship.

Singapore has no welfare system and no citizenship by birth by being born in Singapore :) not even Long Term pass or even PR by birth in Singapore :)


+1

okonu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon, 02 May 2016

Re: Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Postby okonu » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 9:11 am

1. Yes, but you will probably need DP for her. Airlines won't let her fly after 7 months pregnancy, and she will want to be here with baby for a few weeks afterwards. I.e. her stay is > a tourist visa. You will also need to assure the hospital that you are good for all the costs.

2. Baby will be Indian citizen

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 9:45 am

okonu wrote:1. Yes, but you will probably need DP for her. Airlines won't let her fly after 7 months pregnancy, and she will want to be here with baby for a few weeks afterwards. I.e. her stay is > a tourist visa. You will also need to assure the hospital that you are good for all the costs.


why DP ?

Airlines now let passengers fly till 35 weeks pregnancy, as long as there is a Gynae certification as safe to travel, especially to Singapore where giving birth has no advantage (other than excellent medical facilities .. )

airline station managers can decide.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1363
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Postby bgd » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:03 pm

All the Indians I know go back to India to give birth. It's not just cost, they don't trust the Sg doctors. Actually not just Indians, the Thais I know do the same.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 3:45 pm

bgd wrote:All the Indians I know go back to India to give birth. It's not just cost, they don't trust the Sg doctors. Actually not just Indians, the Thais I know do the same.

Ah. No. Rajini Kanth came to Singapore because he don't trust Indian doctors :)

and even for the infamous Delhi case, the victim was flown to Singapore :)

Indians go to India because the family support, and lower cost :)

but insist they don't trust the doctors here :)

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9314
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: RE: Re: Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Postby x9200 » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 4:43 pm

ecureilx wrote:and even for the infamous Delhi case, the victim was flown to Singapore :)

Where she died.
The whole idea of transporting an ICU patient in a critical condition on a 6h flight was IMHO utterly stupid contributing to her death.

okonu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon, 02 May 2016

Re: RE: Re: Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Postby okonu » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 6:41 pm

ecureilx wrote:
why DP ?

Airlines now let passengers fly till 35 weeks pregnancy, as long as there is a Gynae certification as safe to travel, especially to Singapore where giving birth has no advantage (other than excellent medical facilities .. )

airline station managers can decide.


Was assuming she would want to stay in SG longer than a visitor visa. I guess in this case she could apply to extend her stay on medical grounds.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Can she travel to Singapore If she is a pregnant?

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:20 pm

okonu wrote:I guess in this case she could apply to extend her stay on medical grounds.


sorry to be a pain, but that won't fly ...

It never flew in the past, In Singapore, from what I have seen.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=237&secid=171


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests