Singapore Expats

PR Chances and timing

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
orlandeau

PR Chances and timing

Post by orlandeau » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 5:46 am

Hi guys, would like to seek your advice here.

I submitted my application on end of November'16, and very recently I received a letter on 3 January 2017. The letter requests for more information, in the form of detailed full CV of family members and to include the employment history before retirement if applicable.

My question is, is this a common question that was asked from everyone? I did not recall doing this the first time (this was my second application). Additionally, would like to know if this will take much longer than I first thought it will take. If anyone has experience or knowledge please do share.

Many thanks!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: PR Chances and timing

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 6:50 am

You don't say where you are from, but because PR's can sponsor their biological parent for LTVP, ICA wants to make sure that in addition to yourself, you're not going to be bringing undesirables into the country.

It's not too common, nor too uncommon, either, depending on the country you are from.

beard1
Regular
Regular

Post by beard1 » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 11:55 am

I got the same letter some time last year; some research here and elsewhere suggests that you can't really derive any meaning/changes to likelihood of approval from this.

It was more or less a 50/50 split of approve/reject for people who got this second letter.

orlandeau

Post by orlandeau » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 2:16 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I am a 28 years old Chinese Indonesian male.
Any idea about the timing after the letter? Will I likely have to wait for some more time?

beard1
Regular
Regular

Post by beard1 » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 10:13 pm

I can only speak of my own experience;
- applied Aug 10
- received letter to provide detailed cv for family on Oct 11
- approval Jan 7

Given that I was initially quoted 4-6 months for an answer, technically it didn't add any time. Definitely will still need to wait though.

dynamic.dante
Regular
Regular

PR Chances and timing

Post by dynamic.dante » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 1:46 pm

I think its for them to trace your ancestry, race and stuff.
and possible relative/cousins you have working/studying in Singapore.

ICA officer called, and I submitted those additional documents around November 16 and got approved dec16.

My application date is jun15 thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summer_koh

Post by Summer_koh » Thu, 19 Jan 2017 9:06 pm

Hi Everyone, i would like to ask for some advice.

Im a ltvp holder, my husband is a malaysian but SPR about 4 years plus. We had getting married in spore for about 6 months.

Im thinking to apply pr so that once we have a baby, my kid can be Sporean & applying a hdb flat.
(1). How big the chances of my pr application getting approval?

(2). Im thinking to get a job. Will LOC affect my pr application?

Thanks very much

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Thu, 19 Jan 2017 9:48 pm

Summer_koh wrote:Hi Everyone, i would like to ask for some advice.

Im a ltvp holder, my husband is a malaysian but SPR about 4 years plus. We had getting married in spore for about 6 months.

Im thinking to apply pr so that once we have a baby, my kid can be Sporean & applying a hdb flat.
(1). How big the chances of my pr application getting approval?

(2). Im thinking to get a job. Will LOC affect my pr application?

Thanks very much
Your baby won't be born a Singaporean automatically unless your husband has converted to SC before the baby comes along.

For HDB, both of you need to be SPR for at least 3 years before you're eligible to apply. Again, unless he has become an SC.

Summer_koh

Post by Summer_koh » Fri, 20 Jan 2017 1:01 am

Thanks very much[/quote]
Your baby won't be born a Singaporean automatically unless your husband has converted to SC before the baby comes along.

For HDB, both of you need to be SPR for at least 3 years before you're eligible to apply. Again, unless he has become an SC.[/quote]

Hi Jamie9vardy, Thanks for replying.

How about if both of us are pr, is there any possibility the upcoming baby got dual citizenship?

Im thinking to secure a job in sg and i will be given a letter of consent once the mom approve. Hence will the Loc affect my pr application?

I heard somebody said it will get higher chance of pr approval if both the applicant & sponsor had an income, instead just based on the income of sponsor. Is that true?

Thanks in advance

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 20 Jan 2017 7:50 am

Summer_koh wrote: Hi Jamie9vardy, Thanks for replying.

How about if both of us are pr, is there any possibility the upcoming baby got dual citizenship?

Im thinking to secure a job in sg and i will be given a letter of consent once the mom approve. Hence will the Loc affect my pr application?

I heard somebody said it will get higher chance of pr approval if both the applicant & sponsor had an income, instead just based on the income of sponsor. Is that true?

Thanks in advance
No. The baby will be a Malaysian if both parents remain SPR. The baby will be a PR at best.

Dual citizenships is only possible, again, if one of parents becomes an SC while the other doesn't. The child will need to give up one citizenship upon 21 y.o. for girls and 18 y.o. for boys, upon enlistment for NS.

Singapore doesn't have citizenship by birth for foreigners. This is not a welfare state. It will come a point where both of you need to make a call and can't enjoy the best of both worlds.

Yes, dual income certainly doesn't hurt and could possibly help but by how much only ICA will know. As it stands, your nationality and ethnicity are a plus, more so if you're in your child bearing age.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

PR Chances and timing

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 20 Jan 2017 7:52 am

Summer_koh wrote:Hi Jamie9vardy, Thanks for replying.

Thanks in advance
No. The baby will be a Malaysian if both parents remain SPR. The baby will be a PR at best.

Dual citizenships is only possible, again, if one of parents becomes an SC while the other doesn't. The child will need to give up one citizenship upon 21 y.o. for girls and 18 y.o. for boys, upon enlistment for NS.

Singapore doesn't have citizenship by birth for foreigners. This is not a welfare state. It will come a point where both of you need to make a call and can't enjoy the best of both worlds.

Yes, dual income certainly doesn't hurt and could possibly help but by how much only ICA will know. As it stands, your nationality and ethnicity (assuming you're MY-Chinese) are a plus, more so if you're in your child bearing age.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Jan 2017 8:51 am

jamie9vardy wrote:
Summer_koh wrote:....
It's 21 for both girls and boys. Boys cannot give up their citizenship until 21 as well. (Obviously they can give up their foreign citizenship IF the other country allows it. But Singaporean cannot give up until NS is served and boy reaches age of majority which is 21.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 20 Jan 2017 9:25 am

Oops.. my bad. Point noted.

cittakaro

Post by cittakaro » Fri, 20 Jan 2017 10:27 am

Malaysia does not recognize dual citizenship. If your husband convert to Singaporean and you deliver your baby here, your baby can have two passport (Singapore,Malaysia). But if the Malaysia gov knows that your baby has Singapore passport, they will revoke baby's Malaysia Nationality.

acmk

Post by acmk » Fri, 20 Jan 2017 11:13 am

cittakaro wrote:Malaysia does not recognize dual citizenship. If your husband convert to Singaporean and you deliver your baby here, your baby can have two passport (Singapore,Malaysia). But if the Malaysia gov knows that your baby has Singapore passport, they will revoke baby's Malaysia Nationality.
Actually I recently wrote in to JPN to ask, they confirmed that minors can have dual citizenship and have to choose at 21. Officially one can only renounce citizenship (whether MY or SG) only after reaching 21yo.