Singapore Expats Forum

Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

simonlinn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 05 Jan 2017

Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby simonlinn » Fri, 06 Jan 2017 10:31 am

Dear all,

I have a question to be figured out. I got two informal interviews with A*STAR two managers. After the second information interview, they inform me to have a formal interview with the assistant manager and a senior member of the group to check the technical parts from me. Before the interview, I also sent them the application form, transcripts, certificates, reference letters, and pay slip. After around two weeks, I got the phone interview from the HR to confirm with me the details of the last interview and inquire about my expected salary, my current salary, and the possible date on duty for the position. But the HR didn't inform me that I have been selected or will be selected for this position. I am applying for the scientist position. May anyone gives me some information if I will properly be selected and given an offer as considering the above situation? My current supervisor is also going to offer me another position in the nearly future. So, it could be better for me, if I know the situation more certainly.

Thank you for any comments.

squishyfats
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 21 Oct 2016

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby squishyfats » Fri, 06 Jan 2017 11:17 am

You can contact the HR to confirm your situation easily.. And isn't it a common practise for employers to ask about date of availability, last drawn and expected salary to assess if they should hire you?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinkerbeast
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 27 Apr 2011

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby tinkerbeast » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 3:19 am

I'm currently also considering moving to an ASTAR institute. While unofficially things are settled, I was told that the official paperwork will take sometime (i.e. few months).

Btw, at what level are you being hired? Scientist I, II, II, senior scientist, etc.

Would be very interested in knowing more about your profile, institute and offer at ASTAR, and of course sharing my information too, so please PM me.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9290
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby x9200 » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 10:08 am

simonlinn wrote:Dear all,

I have a question to be figured out. I got two informal interviews with A*STAR two managers. After the second information interview, they inform me to have a formal interview with the assistant manager and a senior member of the group to check the technical parts from me. Before the interview, I also sent them the application form, transcripts, certificates, reference letters, and pay slip. After around two weeks, I got the phone interview from the HR to confirm with me the details of the last interview and inquire about my expected salary, my current salary, and the possible date on duty for the position. But the HR didn't inform me that I have been selected or will be selected for this position. I am applying for the scientist position. May anyone gives me some information if I will properly be selected and given an offer as considering the above situation? My current supervisor is also going to offer me another position in the nearly future. So, it could be better for me, if I know the situation more certainly.

Thank you for any comments.

How could you even consider to be selected without any formal technical based interview? They likely checked only if your papers are ok (fulfill some bureaucratic requirements for the job) and that's all.
Additionally, if by "selected" you mean "got the job", you will only know after you receive the offer letter.

simonlinn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 05 Jan 2017

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby simonlinn » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 10:49 am

x9200 wrote:
simonlinn wrote:Dear all,

I have a question to be figured out. I got two informal interviews with A*STAR two managers. After the second information interview, they inform me to have a formal interview with the assistant manager and a senior member of the group to check the technical parts from me. Before the interview, I also sent them the application form, transcripts, certificates, reference letters, and pay slip. After around two weeks, I got the phone interview from the HR to confirm with me the details of the last interview and inquire about my expected salary, my current salary, and the possible date on duty for the position. But the HR didn't inform me that I have been selected or will be selected for this position. I am applying for the scientist position. May anyone gives me some information if I will properly be selected and given an offer as considering the above situation? My current supervisor is also going to offer me another position in the nearly future. So, it could be better for me, if I know the situation more certainly.

Thank you for any comments.

How could you even consider to be selected without any formal technical based interview? They likely checked only if your papers are ok (fulfill some bureaucratic requirements for the job) and that's all.
Additionally, if by "selected" you mean "got the job", you will only know after you receive the offer letter.


Sure, a technical interview has been made before the hr phone interview. The last interview is there fourth interview with hr to confirm the things, like expected salary, availability, current salary, etc. However, hr didn't tell that an offer will be provided, such message. I am just wondering should I expect an offer to make future plan. Thanks.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9290
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby x9200 » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 11:47 am

I am lost, so lets make it simple:
If you have still some interviews pending - there will be no offer before it is done.
If all the interviews are completed - call the HR and ask. Most likely the letter awaits the ED's signature what can take some time. Also, note, that the signing is not like a pure formality.

simonlinn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 05 Jan 2017

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby simonlinn » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 11:10 pm

x9200 wrote:I am lost, so lets make it simple:
If you have still some interviews pending - there will be no offer before it is done.
If all the interviews are completed - call the HR and ask. Most likely the letter awaits the ED's signature what can take some time. Also, note, that the signing is not like a pure formality.

I think all the interviews have done. Any suggestion how to ask hr is better? Just ask if I will receive an offer? or? I am wondering if hr will also won't give any confirmation.

Many thanks.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9290
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby x9200 » Sun, 08 Jan 2017 7:58 am

Just ask when you may/should expect to receive the outcome of your application. I don't think they are going to confirm anything, unless the papers are already signed, but it may vary between the institutes.

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby maneo » Sun, 08 Jan 2017 1:08 pm

simonlinn wrote:
x9200 wrote:I am lost, so lets make it simple:
If you have still some interviews pending - there will be no offer before it is done.
If all the interviews are completed - call the HR and ask. Most likely the letter awaits the ED's signature what can take some time. Also, note, that the signing is not like a pure formality.

I think all the interviews have done. Any suggestion how to ask hr is better? Just ask if I will receive an offer? or? I am wondering if hr will also won't give any confirmation.

Many thanks.

You need to keep engaged with HR without being seen as being pushy.
A polite way is to ask HR if there is any further info they need from you.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun, 08 Feb 2015

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby calugaruvaxile » Thu, 12 Jan 2017 8:01 am

it may take 3 months

simonlinn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 05 Jan 2017

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby simonlinn » Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:32 am

calugaruvaxile wrote:it may take 3 months


3 months is a long time...

I heard some cases on Glassdoor are fast, almost 1 to 4 weeks including interview, will get the results.

I also need to make decision depending on if the offer is going to be guaranteed.

Can anyone give me some suggestion to ask HR to get some more certain result?

Thanks a lot!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10617
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:53 am

simonlinn wrote:
calugaruvaxile wrote:it may take 3 months


3 months is a long time...

I heard some cases on Glassdoor are fast, almost 1 to 4 weeks including interview, will get the results.

I also need to make decision depending on if the offer is going to be guaranteed.

Can anyone give me some suggestion to ask HR to get some more certain result?

Thanks a lot!


Bud... it takes forever to get hired anywhere in Singapore. An initial review by HR to see if you have ticked off all their idiotic boxes and "must haves". Then a first interview by someone with no hiring authority at all.

Then a pause as they try to decide if the skills of all the people they have interviewed match up with the job description they so painstakingly created, or whether they might ought to rewrite the job description to more closely match the skills of the people they have interviewed.

Of course, if they do that, they'll want to bring you back in for a second interview to see how you match up with the new job criteria.

In the meantime, budget time rolls around, and so starts the annual hassle of deciding once again, whose P&L the position will end up on, which in turn may lead to yet another change in the job description and reporting managers.

We're getting closer, though... now, you get to the second or third interview with someone who could actually make a recommendation... if you get the thumbs up, it's now more delay to decide how much you're worth, and whether the job is still needed, given they have wasted so much of your time.

Seriously... three months is nothing in Singapore for these bureaucratic organizations to get around to making a decision. Oh... and f*ck you as you wait around... there is no consideration for your circumstances as this circle jerk progresses.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon, 29 Jul 2013

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby brian_singapore » Thu, 12 Jan 2017 12:54 pm

I came to Singapore from an environment where we had to have an offer out the door to a candidate in a week or they were gone.....

Now I despair as the ATO has to go through multiple levels of approval and sits on each of the approvers desks for 2-3 weeks.... making it take longer to get the ATO out the door then it does to find and finalize the candidate.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun, 08 Feb 2015

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby calugaruvaxile » Sat, 14 Jan 2017 6:35 am

simonlinn wrote:
calugaruvaxile wrote:it may take 3 months


3 months is a long time...

I heard some cases on Glassdoor are fast, almost 1 to 4 weeks including interview, will get the results.

I also need to make decision depending on if the offer is going to be guaranteed.

Can anyone give me some suggestion to ask HR to get some more certain result?

Thanks a lot!


it took 3 months for me, back in 2006. actually, i applied in september and started on the 27 of february, or something like this. when i left astar in 2012 the system evolved (or involved?) into even more bureaucratic.

it's useless to call them. when they have an offer they'll send it to you. salaries in astar are taken from the grid and non-negotiable anyway. don't forget they need to get a preapproval from ica to admit you in ...

tinkerbeast
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 27 Apr 2011

Re: Possibility of Offering after hr interview by ASTAR

Postby tinkerbeast » Sat, 14 Jan 2017 7:23 pm

Hi calugaruvaxile! If you don't mind me asking, what was your reason for leaving ASTAR?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests