Singapore Expats

Re : Apply exit permit and deferment for NS

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
el.amigo

Re : Apply exit permit and deferment for NS

Post by el.amigo » Thu, 05 Jan 2017 7:26 pm

Hi, I need help urgently.....

My family are Singapore citizen. We still own a HDB unit. We migrated in 2009, give birth to 4 wonder sons. Eldest son had finished his NS and second son is now serving NS. We knew that my eldest son need to serve NS because he got his NRIC. But when our second son was asked to serve NS, we were puzzled because he was only 11 when we were out of the country. Now my third son is asked to go back this year.

The story is, for the 2 eldest sons, we did as what we were asked to by mindef. Eg. to find 2 sureties. In 2009, my third son was only 8 Years old. This year after completing his high school, he has to go back for his NS. He did not renew the passport since expired in 2014. Return once in 2012. He is an overseas citizen since 2015 and so is his dad and younger brother who is turning 16 this year. We have no intention of going back or live in Sin. Since he turn the age of 16.5, he was asked to apply exit permit. We were told to get 2 sureties due to his staying out of Sin. But the problem is we can't find anyone who must be a Singaporean, holding a job to act for the bond. Now we received a letter to ask to go back for a medical checkup. What shall we do?

We did call the respective department telling the problem we are facing but they keep saying under NS Enlistment Act....... We intend to apply the exit permit again but will still come back to the same story when filling up the sureties column.

Initially we thought maybe we can appeal for the deferment till age 21. Once granted, he can apply exit permit without sureties but we were wrong. We get rejected a few times saying under NS Enlistment Act.....again. May I know if both parents give up citizenship and sell the house, does it help in the deferment and exit permit?

We had received a letter from mindef saying that our youngest son's exit permit had expired and was asked to apply again.We believe this time during the application, he will be facing the same problem as what his elder brother is facing. What is the next step we should do?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Re : Apply exit permit and deferment for NS

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Jan 2017 11:28 pm

Does either parent still hold Singapore Citizenship? If so, it's gotcha!

Does either parent still own any property in Singapore? If so, It's gotcha!

Does it matter today? Yes, even if all divest themselves of their Singapore citizenship today it shows that the parent(s) were still holding on to a back door if necessary. Now your kids will be paying for it.

How old was son #3 when he returned to Singapore in 2012? Did he enter Singapore using his Singapore passport? Was he over the age of 14 when he visited Singapore in 2012? I ask as you have indicated that he is already 16.5 years old. If he was over the age of 14, then you will be hard pressed to get him out of NS even though you didn't renew his passport in 2014. He will already be assumed to have gained benefit of the Singapore Passport. So, it won't matter if he hasn't got an NRIC or not.

It's possible if both parents divest themselves fully of Singapore, Home, CPF, Savings, Citizenship, etc, that the 4th son may be able to avoid NS but you need to file a letter of intent around his 11th birthday and be able to prove that you have divorced yourselves from Singapore. Sorry, but I think you have a potential problem as what you say and what you have done are at odds with each other.

"We have no intention of going back or live in Sin."

"May I know if both parents give up citizenship and sell the house, does it help in the deferment and exit permit?"

Those two statement conflict with each other and send mixed signals as if you had no intention of going back why have you not already divested yourselves from Singapore? See what I mean?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Jan 2017 6:49 am

There are hundreds of posts in the forum showing the difficulties of not following the procedure correctly (to remove your son from both Singapore and NS obligation). Mad Scientist in particular has been very helpful on this topic.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Fri, 06 Jan 2017 12:51 pm

You should plan on son # 3 doing NS. And as SMS says, may be a chance son # 4 can avoid if young enough/ you divest yourself of all links to Singapore.

Holding an HDB flat certainly shows that your family still have singapore links

Kathryn

Post by Kathryn » Mon, 07 Aug 2023 5:11 am

I am applying for my 13yr old son's exit permit and came across the departure date n arrival date.

Departure date - Should it be when my son ll be leaving Australia? If no, what date should I put?

Arrival date - Should it be when my son ll be coming bk to Australia?

Thanks in advance