Singapore Expats

Shop theft for 3rd time

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Selnur

Shop theft for 3rd time

Post by Selnur » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 10:34 am

Hi
I cant seem to find an active topic on shop lifting. Asking on behalf, my friend has 2 previous shop theft records. 1st she was let off with a warning in 2006. 2nd time in 2010 she was fined ard 1k plus. She got caught again recently. She offered to settle but the shop still wanted to pursue the case. She has to meet the IO on 17 Jan 2017. She is unemployed since May 2016 and was unsuccessful in getting jobs. She stole because she was desperate to feed her 7yr old daughter. Husband was also retrenched in March and was unsuccessful in getting jobs. Any advice is deeply appreciated. Serious ones please thank you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Shop theft for 3rd time

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 11:41 am

I'm pretty certain she will go to court and possibly go to prison. It's possible the MCYS or similar will take the child into state custody if she or her husband is unable to provide for the child; she could try to prevent this by having a relative or friend take custody (guardianship) of the child BEFORE it's too late. It's a shame she didn't seek help for the child via the various agencies in town. A lawyer could help plead mitigating circumstances and possibly get her some relief. The thing is we all know she has probably stolen dozens of times without being caught.... :(

I subscrible to a very sad newsletter put out by a local charity. The situation this lady is in is far from unusual and unfortunately the courts here are deaf to pleas of poverty.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Selnur

Post by Selnur » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 11:47 am

Thanks for your reply. I just heard from her that her husband is due to start a new job very soon. Does she need to state that when she meets the IO on 17 Jan 2017? Will she go to prison for a long term? And are there any free lawyers that she can engage?

Selnur

Post by Selnur » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 11:50 am

PNGMK wrote:I'm pretty certain she will go to court and possibly go to prison. It's possible the MCYS or similar will take the child into state custody if she or her husband is unable to provide for the child; she could try to prevent this by having a relative or friend take custody (guardianship) of the child BEFORE it's too late. It's a shame she didn't seek help for the child via the various agencies in town. A lawyer could help plead mitigating circumstances and possibly get her some relief. The thing is we all know she has probably stolen dozens of times without being caught.... :(

I subscrible to a very sad newsletter put out by a local charity. The situation this lady is in is far from unusual and unfortunately the courts here are deaf to pleas of poverty.
hanks for your reply. I just heard from her that her husband is due to start a new job very soon. Does she need to state that when she meets the IO on 17 Jan 2017? Will she go to prison for a long term? And are there any free lawyers that she can engage?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Shop theft for 3rd time

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 12:03 pm

Selnur wrote: hanks for your reply. I just heard from her that her husband is due to start a new job very soon. Does she need to state that when she meets the IO on 17 Jan 2017? Will she go to prison for a long term? And are there any free lawyers that she can engage?
Is she a citizen ?

Selnur

Post by Selnur » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 12:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Selnur wrote: hanks for your reply. I just heard from her that her husband is due to start a new job very soon. Does she need to state that when she meets the IO on 17 Jan 2017? Will she go to prison for a long term? And are there any free lawyers that she can engage?
Is she a citizen ?

Selnur

Post by Selnur » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 12:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Is she a citizen ?
Yes she is...

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 12:06 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Is she a citizen ?
I would assume not , otherwise its a very odd posting for an Expat forum.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 2:04 pm

Barnsley wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Is she a citizen ?
I would assume not , otherwise its a very odd posting for an Expat forum.
There is a lack of decent legal forums around for SC...

To answer OP question there is a legal aid bureau I believe - she can ask there.

https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/lab/en.html

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 2:07 pm

OP - you could have found this all out with about 10 seconds in google. However for future ref:

Only persons with a disposable income of not more than S$10,000 per year and a disposable capital of not more than S$10,000 may be granted legal aid.

You may utilise the Means Test indicator to see if you qualify under the Means Test. *This is merely a guide to indicate whether you may be financially eligible to qualify for legal aid and the results of the indicator are no guarantee that you will pass the means test.

Selnur

Post by Selnur » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 2:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:OP - you could have found this all out with about 10 seconds in google. However for future ref:

Only persons with a disposable income of not more than S$10,000 per year and a disposable capital of not more than S$10,000 may be granted legal aid.

You may utilise the Means Test indicator to see if you qualify under the Means Test. *This is merely a guide to indicate whether you may be financially eligible to qualify for legal aid and the results of the indicator are no guarantee that you will pass the means test.
Thank you so much

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 2:08 pm

She may fail this;

Under the Merits Test, you must show that you have a good reason to bring or defend your case under the law

Selnur

Post by Selnur » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 2:26 pm

](*,)
PNGMK wrote:She may fail this;

Under the Merits Test, you must show that you have a good reason to bring or defend your case under the law
Oh dear, i dont know how else to help her
:cry:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 3:43 pm

Selnur wrote:](*,)

Tell her to stay off crime ?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 04 Jan 2017 3:46 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Selnur wrote:](*,)

Tell her to stay off crime ?
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Life is short, paddle harder!!