Singapore Expats Forum

The Thugs That Run China

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2131
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: The Thugs That Run China

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 28 Aug 2017 3:37 pm

:-D

earthfriendly wrote:Not everyone will give in to tyrannical demands.


https://www.yahoo.com/finance/video/cam ... 00021.html
Life is short, paddle harder!!

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: The Thugs That Run China

Postby TMD » Mon, 04 Sep 2017 10:38 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Not everyone will give in to tyrannical demands.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/video/cam ... 00021.html


It is called "censorship" - Using terms like "tyrannical demands" is kinda like equating Trump as Hitler 2.0

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: The Thugs That Run China

Postby TMD » Mon, 04 Sep 2017 11:14 pm

The origin of China Quarterly (CQ) - Funded by the CIA

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n02/letters
"..Cumings reminds readers that secret moneys from the CIA (from the Farfield Foundation via the Congress for Cultural Freedom, the parent of the CQ, Encounter and many other magazines) provided part of the funding for the CQ – something I did not know until the public revelations of the late 1960s..." - Professor and department chair Roderick MacFarquhar, Harvard University


The Central Intelligence Agency: Security Under Scrutiny
By Richard H. Immerman
Page 173:
CIA covert operations raise an additional policy question insofar as some of the Agency's covert propaganda activities spilled over to influence domestic politics ...

Image

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2131
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: The Thugs That Run China

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 04 Sep 2017 11:35 pm

TMD wrote:The origin of China Quarterly (CQ) - Funded by the CIA

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n02/letters
"..Cumings reminds readers that secret moneys from the CIA (from the Farfield Foundation via the Congress for Cultural Freedom, the parent of the CQ, Encounter and many other magazines) provided part of the funding for the CQ – something I did not know until the public revelations of the late 1960s..." - Professor and department chair Roderick MacFarquhar, Harvard University


The Central Intelligence Agency: Security Under Scrutiny
By Richard H. Immerman
Page 173:
CIA covert operations raise an additional policy question insofar as some of the Agency's covert propaganda activities spilled over to influence domestic politics ...

Image


Welcome back TMD ... run out of money?

Need to get back to 50c a post :mrgreen:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9787
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: The Thugs That Run China

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 05 Sep 2017 7:34 am

Barnsley wrote:Welcome back TMD ... run out of money?

Need to get back to 50c a post :mrgreen:


Give him some space

He didn't post something that needs paid!

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: The Thugs That Run China

Postby TMD » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 12:52 am

A classic response to a little inconvenient truth about CQ.
If this truth can help enrich the discussion, then I guess I am being under paid . :P

Anyway, thank you very much - I am both financially and ideologically independent. Unlike certain establishment, which openly promotes "academic freedom", was once secretly funded by an organisation which only recently practices "enhanced interrogations"...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... rture.html

Barnsley wrote:
TMD wrote:The origin of China Quarterly (CQ) - Funded by the CIA
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n02/letters
"..Cumings reminds readers that secret moneys from the CIA (from the Farfield Foundation via the Congress for Cultural Freedom, the parent of the CQ, Encounter and many other magazines) provided part of the funding for the CQ – something I did not know until the public revelations of the late 1960s..." - Professor and department chair Roderick MacFarquhar, Harvard University


The Central Intelligence Agency: Security Under Scrutiny
By Richard H. Immerman
Page 173:
CIA covert operations raise an additional policy question insofar as some of the Agency's covert propaganda activities spilled over to influence domestic politics ...

Image


Welcome back TMD ... run out of money?

Need to get back to 50c a post :mrgreen:
Last edited by TMD on Wed, 06 Sep 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: The Thugs That Run China

Postby TMD » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 12:56 am

ecureilx wrote:Give him some space
He didn't post something that needs paid!


Actually, I was the one who gave YOU space.

Can't recall when was the last time you responded to me ? :wink:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Re: The Thugs That Run China

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 3:15 am

Tyranny comes in many forms and does not have to result in the full blown human annihilation practiced by Hitler.

Censorship = tyranny.

Victims are only allowed information/interpretation deemed appropriate by the censoring authorities. What give these tyrants the right to tell us what to read and how to feel? Are they Gods? Or tyrants? You decide for yourself.

When one's ideas / opinions are only made possible by the absence of others. It becomes suspect. If their ideas are so good and powerful, why scared of other opposing ideas? Or they think the other people have no brains and can't think for themselves? And the best approach is to control the flow of information going thru these brains? Instead of teaching them critical thinking? The tactics of CCP and PAP.

Please lah, stop with the nonsense blindly-nationalistic songs like "we are Singapore, SINGAPORE, SINGAPOREANS ......? " And start teaching these kids critical thinking in schools. But then you know what? Once they do that, and their minds become more educated, they will have none of this censorship nonsense. They will learn to not fear information itself. But rather be equipped with the mental capacity to sift thru the myriad of (both good and bad) information. And these educated minds will demand accountability and transparency.

Can the CCP and PAP cope? Are they able to live up to higher standards and higher expectations? And have their policies be opened to public scrutiny, debate and discussions? Or are they too stuck in their Emperor (with no clothes) syndrome? And expect their mandate to remain unchallenged, undebated, undiscussed and go thru under-the-table. Both countries are (too) eager to be viewed as forward-moving nations who can achieve great things. You know, the "face" thing. Are they willing to do what it takes. In real substance and not just the form.

I don't need a big brother telling me what I should be watching and reading. I have benefitted from the free access of information. And it helps me grow. Refine my thinking and intellect. And on the contrary, I would have been a smaller and narrower person if I had limited myself to a smaller and narrower information base.

Which is what I try to tell my kids. They can read and watch pretty much anything but try to include many different sources / angles.

On a side note, all that fake-ish patriotic songs, crafted and endorsed and foisted onto the population by the garment, how effective have they been?

http://sbr.com.sg/hr-education/in-focus ... su2rl.gbpl

It shows the limit of propagandistic measures (including govt's effort to limit flow of information i.e. censorship ) that lack substance.
Last edited by earthfriendly on Wed, 06 Sep 2017 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Re: The Thugs That Run China

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 3:46 am

There are educators / professors who require their students to present at least three (several) different points of views on each essay they write. These are the kind of professors I want. The ones that will challenge and push me and broaden my mind. Rather than limit my access to information and limit my growth.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9787
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: The Thugs That Run China

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 6:52 am

TMD wrote:
ecureilx wrote:Give him some space
He didn't post something that needs paid!


Actually, I was the one who gave YOU space.

Can't recall when was the last time you responded to me ? :wink:
I am touched

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Re: The Thugs That Run China

Postby earthfriendly » Sun, 17 Sep 2017 1:13 am

That is what censorship is all about. A form of manipulation to suit the manipulator. And this is what it leads to. Deception. So, is it in the hundreds or thousands? Which source should we trust now? It leads to suspicion. Plunging the nation into the dark ages. Where deception and suspicion thrive. And a lack of accountability.

The Straits Times has grossly under-reported the number of attendees , putting the numbers at a few hundred . My friends , there were at least 2500-3000 of us there .



https://www.facebook.com/tean.lim.75/po ... 9831463360
Last edited by earthfriendly on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests