Singapore Expats

Extension of PR status

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
acad123

Extension of PR status

Post by acad123 » Thu, 08 Dec 2016 3:14 pm

Hi all,

Below is my situation and I would appreciate kind inputs:

Nationality: Malaysian
Highest degree: PhD

I obtained my PR back in 2009 (NS exempted) and was then converted to a full time Msc student in NUS. I got a job back in 2012 and worked for 6 months which thereafter I left for NZ to get my PhD. I was lucky that my REP was extended twice during my PhD study overseas. Then, I got a new 1 yr extension this year as I was looking for a job in here and had managed to get a contract position (6 months which had ended in Nov). My upcoming renewal will be in Jan 2017.

However, I got an invitation to carry out my postdoctoral training in a prestigious medical school in USA (ranked 17th in the world) for a year. I am just wondering if I can write to the authority to explain my situation in Jan 2017 should I take up the training opportunity? For my field, it is best to get overseas exposure so that there are better career advancements in Singapore. Ultimately, I still see Singapore as home and I hope to develop my career and raise a family here.

In the worst case scenario, I wouldn't get to renew my residency and I am wondering would it affect my future pass (e.g.: EP) application?

Please advise and thank you.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: Extension of PR status

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 08 Dec 2016 3:31 pm

acad123 wrote:Hi all,

I obtained my PR back in 2009 (NS exempted) and was then converted to a full time Msc student in NUS. I got a job back in 2012 and worked for 6 months which thereafter I left for NZ to get my PhD. I was lucky that my REP was extended twice during my PhD study overseas. Then, I got a new 1 yr extension this year as I was looking for a job in here and had managed to get a contract position (6 months which had ended in Nov). My upcoming renewal will be in Jan 2017.

However, I got an invitation to carry out my postdoctoral training in a prestigious medical school in USA (ranked 17th in the world) for a year. I am just wondering if I can write to the authority to explain my situation in Jan 2017 should I take up the training opportunity? For my field, it is best to get overseas exposure so that there are better career advancements in Singapore. Ultimately, I still see Singapore as home and I hope to develop my career and raise a family here.

In the worst case scenario, I wouldn't get to renew my residency and I am wondering would it affect my future pass (e.g.: EP) application?

Are you currently working in Singapore? You would need to have a job in Jan 2017 to renew your REP if you have got your PR under the PTS Scheme.

acad123

Post by acad123 » Thu, 08 Dec 2016 3:40 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
acad123 wrote:Hi all,

Are you currently working in Singapore? You would need to have a job in Jan 2017 to renew your REP if you have got your PR under the PTS Scheme.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am aware of the situation. I am in Singapore but my contract with my previous employer had ended in Nov. I am having difficulty to find a job here at the moment, so I thought to build my credentials with a prestigious medical school for a year in USA and then come back and settled down in Singapore.

Just worry will it affect my future EP or PR application if the authority choose not to renew my current residency.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 08 Dec 2016 3:45 pm

You would need a job now in SG to renew your REP. If you go overseas without REP renewal, your chance of renewing it later will be close to impossible when it expires.

Why not put in some more effort and try to get a job here and renew your REP?

acad123

Post by acad123 » Thu, 08 Dec 2016 3:48 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:You would need a job now in SG to renew your REP. If you go overseas without REP renewal, your chance of renewing it later will be close to impossible when it expires.

Hi, yes I know. I have been trying very hard to get a job but unfortunately, it takes time and had been difficult so far.

krabhi

Post by krabhi » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 12:58 pm

acad123 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:You would need a job now in SG to renew your REP. If you go overseas without REP renewal, your chance of renewing it later will be close to impossible when it expires.

Hi, yes I know. I have been trying very hard to get a job but unfortunately, it takes time and had been difficult so far.
Hi,

You can approach your CDC and through them you will have a high chance of getting a job with in 2 weeks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Extension of PR status

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 1:26 pm

krabhi wrote:
acad123 wrote:

Hi,

You can approach your CDC and through them you will have a high chance of getting a job with in 2 weeks.
CDC don't help non Singaporeans. Or you know something I don't know ?