Singapore Expats

Places to visit for business traveler

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
mikebdot

Places to visit for business traveler

Post by mikebdot » Sat, 03 Dec 2016 8:20 pm

Hello, not an expat here, but I'll be traveling to Singapore several times over the next year or two and will likely be spending several weekend days hanging out with nothing to do. Last time I went I made it to the MC Escher museum and saw a few other places. I was hoping for some suggestions on things I could do on saturdays or sundays that expose me to the culture a bit more.

I'll be there on December 18 so I'm not quite sure what there is to do on a Sunday right before Christmas. I know that's kind of a family day so feeding my childlike curiosity won't look too out of place.

Just looking for ideas so I can start to make a list of must-sees.
Wherever you go, there you are.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Places to visit for business traveler

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Dec 2016 8:50 pm

first thing that popped up in my search of the thread here using our excellent search engine....

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... to+do+list

There are bound to be more
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mikebdot

Post by mikebdot » Sat, 03 Dec 2016 9:01 pm

I've searched the Internet already. Came to a forum to ask for personalized suggestions and ask my own questions and to potentially find out something going in that specific day.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Dec 2016 7:34 pm

Did you even bother to go to the link? If you did, you would have found that the link is to another thread on this board as are the others if you had of used the search engine of this site. :-k :roll: ](*,)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mikebdot

Post by mikebdot » Sun, 04 Dec 2016 9:10 pm

Dude, I know you are a moderator and all, but you are not being very welcoming. Can you please delete your own comments?

Of course I looked at the thread. It was a series of suggestions for a new married couple for things to do. One or two ideas for a business traveler. I also found those same ideas searching the Internet.

Feel free to respond, but then please leave.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Dec 2016 11:14 pm

Maybe you should be a little more specific then. Your comment "I've searched the internet already." is pretty dismissive for someone coming on the forum with their hat in their hand looking for "personalized" service.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Dec 2016 11:17 pm

Considering I was the only one to even try to give you a response under the circumstances of the timbre of your post. I guess everybody else was afraid to post. c'est la vie.

Maybe somebody else will see your post on Monday and disregard your dismissive answer to the only person who tried to help you out over a two day weekend.

mikebdot

Post by mikebdot » Mon, 05 Dec 2016 12:57 am

Your initial response was condescending. I searched your site. I searched the Internet. I asked the forum for general information but also about a SPECIFIC date. The response was "research". That is not helpful. I would rather have a conversation with actual humans. That's why people go to forums.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Places to visit for business traveler

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 05 Dec 2016 8:21 am

mikebdot wrote:Hello, not an expat here, but I'll be traveling to Singapore several times over the next year or two and will likely be spending several weekend days hanging out with nothing to do. Last time I went I made it to the MC Escher museum and saw a few other places. I was hoping for some suggestions on things I could do on saturdays or sundays that expose me to the culture a bit more.
did you include the 4 floors ?

I lot of culture happens there.

And a couple of SPGs to have cultural exchange ;)

Honestly, Singapore is A little red dot.

You can round up the whole place in 2 days, so what's on your mind again ?

PS, I see nothing wrong in SMS post. Where do you come from, to be so culturally inclined ?

mikebdot

Post by mikebdot » Mon, 05 Dec 2016 9:52 am

I'm from the US (lived in 5 different states growing up so was exposed to a lot of different groups of people). I'm just a curious person. Unlike our president-elect.

My favorite thing to do is people watch. Also, was looking for a good cafe to sit for several hours drinking tea and doing work on my computer that is open fairly early. Last time I went, the whole city was basically dead on Sunday morning. No places to get a good breakfast.

Not at all interested in 4 floors.

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Mon, 05 Dec 2016 12:12 pm

mikebdot wrote: My favorite thing to do is people watch. Also, was looking for a good cafe to sit for several hours drinking tea and doing work on my computer that is open fairly early. Last time I went, the whole city was basically dead on Sunday morning. No places to get a good breakfast.
Not being a dick, but none of your requirements above are that unique. You can easily get this type of information from searching Singapore specific blogs/sites on the 'net including SG specific site like "Burpple". This is how I find new places to try out (looking at reviews/write up, etc.).

Also, I assume you have locally based contacts/colleagues who can also help you with suggestions.

If I can take 2-3 days off, I head straight out to Changi airport.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Places to visit for business traveler

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 05 Dec 2016 11:59 pm

mikebdot wrote: My favorite thing to do is people watch. Also, was looking for a good cafe to sit for several hours drinking tea and doing work on my computer that is open fairly early. Last time I went, the whole city was basically dead on Sunday morning. No places to get a good breakfast. .
oh, sorry.

CBD isn't the city ;)

open your eyes and try to see places outside CBD.

there's always crowd in Orchard, townships and everywhere, except the "city" ..

You don't need research, you need to head out of CBD.

mikebdot

Post by mikebdot » Tue, 06 Dec 2016 1:50 am

I plan on taking the train wherever it is that sounds like a good time. I just wanted some specific examples of places to go that would be interesting that are actually open fairly early on a Sunday. I went to probably 10 places between 8am and 10am the last time I was there that were restaurants that said they were open online but were not when I got there. So I ended up eating at a freaking McDonald's cuz I was hungry and a little angry. (Hangry)

If I don't need research, where exactly should I go to discover? Give me an intersection between two streets and I'll go there and look around. If it doesn't have anything to offer me, I won't worry about it.

I could have asked the question "where is your favorite place to go sit and think?" Or "where is your favorite place to go get work done that isn't your house / apartment?" Or "where do you meet the most interesting person in your life?"

Doesn't matter. Just looking for any sort of guidance. I plan on walking 15 miles any day I am there by myself. Better to have a starting place picked out with a high density of cool stuff to check out nearby.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 06 Dec 2016 8:24 am

mikebdot wrote:I plan on taking the train wherever it is that sounds like a good time. I just wanted some specific examples of places to go that would be interesting that are actually open fairly early on a Sunday. I went to probably 10 places between 8am and 10am the last time I was there that were restaurants that said they were open online but were not when I got there. So I ended up eating at a freaking McDonald's cuz I was hungry and a little angry. (Hangry)

If I don't need research, where exactly should I go to discover? Give me an intersection between two streets and I'll go there and look around. If it doesn't have anything to offer me, I won't worry about it.

I could have asked the question "where is your favorite place to go sit and think?" Or "where is your favorite place to go get work done that isn't your house / apartment?" Or "where do you meet the most interesting person in your life?"

Doesn't matter. Just looking for any sort of guidance. I plan on walking 15 miles any day I am there by myself. Better to have a starting place picked out with a high density of cool stuff to check out nearby.
So you want to have a cultural exposure or hang in some places the "expats" (regulars on this board) prefer to spend time?

The only way to get a gimps of everyday local life (the way you earlier described), early morning is to get a cab and tell the cabbie to take you to any ordinary coffee shop or hawker centre in so called heartland districts, Ang Mo Kio, Bishan, Yishun, Bedok, CCK. More remote from CBD, better. Some of the coffee shops are open round the clock or at least from very early hours (4-5 am). Don't expect crowds. Don't expect fancy setting and quality coffee in a Western sense. Don't expect wifi. Expect being stared all the time if you are of any race distinctively different from the standard SEA race set.

If you just want to watch a mix of people or a traffic in more confined street space go to Little India, Geylang, and chose any coffee shop there that is open and suits you. Again, with the remarks on the place similar to the above except you may have wifi and nobody is going to stare at you.

Walking 15 miles any day sounds funny.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Places to visit for business traveler

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 06 Dec 2016 9:15 am

mikebdot wrote: If I don't need research, where exactly should I go to discover? Give me an intersection between two streets and I'll go there and look around. If it doesn't have anything to offer me, I won't worry about it.

liat towers star bucks, orchard cine leisure star bucks, forum Coffee bean