Singapore Expats

Pregnancy and Zika in Singapore

Do you have any pregnancy related queries to ask or share? Post them here.
tanster

Pregnancy and Zika in Singapore

Post by tanster » Fri, 02 Dec 2016 12:00 pm

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be moving to Singapore in March. We recently found out that we are pregnant. We have to visit Singapore in January to find accommodation. Now that I am pregnant, I am a little worried about making the trip to Singapore with the Zika scare. How bad is the Zika virus in Singapore? Are there certain areas where it is more concentrated? Are you likely to get bitten by mosquitoes if you are walking outdoors in Singapore? I always feel these things are blown out of proportion, but of course, I am still a little concerned.

Any advice, input would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
T

x9200

Re: Pregnancy and Zika in Singapore

Post by x9200 » Fri, 02 Dec 2016 12:28 pm

tanster wrote:Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be moving to Singapore in March. We recently found out that we are pregnant. We have to visit Singapore in January to find accommodation. Now that I am pregnant, I am a little worried about making the trip to Singapore with the Zika scare. How bad is the Zika virus in Singapore? Are there certain areas where it is more concentrated?
http://www.nea.gov.sg/public-health/vec ... s-clusters
So pretty insignificant at this moment and confined to some areas only.
tanster wrote:Are you likely to get bitten by mosquitoes if you are walking outdoors in Singapore?
Depends on you individually, how attractive you are to the mosquitoes. If they like you, it's likely you will get bitten, if not, then not. For example, my wife and my son are magnets to the mosquitoes - any mosquitoes at a location, they will got bitten, me, just opposite, I have not been bitten for I believe a good few years. Of course, being bitten doesn't mean you get infected - again, the two mentioned magnets never caught anything, (so far) knock-knock unpainted wood.

missyqiqi
Regular
Regular

Post by missyqiqi » Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:08 am

just a note that there are no more zika cases in Singapore!
The transmission chain has been broken! =)

Hopefully no more zika in singapore permanently... ^.^

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Dec 2016 11:28 am

Hopefully, but get the wording understood correctly: reported cases.
Tricky part with Zika is that it gives very mild symptoms and now, after some longer time, people become less alerted. If you have a mild cold like symptoms you do not normally rush to be testes.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 1:43 pm

missyqiqi wrote:just a note that there are no more zika cases in Singapore!
The transmission chain has been broken! =)

Hopefully no more zika in singapore permanently... ^.^
Studies show that Zika has such devastating effects on the developing brains of the children because it attacks stem cells and the forming brain tissue during the pregnancy consists substantially of the stem cells. Now, it is reported that Zika can also kill very effectively other stem cells including these of one of the worst brain cancer, Glioblastoma multiforme grade IV. This is such a malignant cancer, because most of the therapies can only kill the mature, regular cells of it and has no or very limited effects on its stem cells - after few months the tumor usually reappears. It looks, Zika may be used complementary to other therapies. All still on mice but hope it will work out for humans too.

Not really Singapore related but I found this fascinating. Some things considered very bad may potentially turn into something extremely good.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 2:40 pm

Like a nice reefer? :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers