Singapore Expats Forum

When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2063
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 13 Dec 2016 9:34 am

PNGMK wrote:It's a shocking situation actually. I am becoming more and more concerned about a war and we know which sign Singapore will be on.


I don't know about a war, but TheDonald has certainly changed the dynamic at the minute.

China dont seem to know how to react to his "twitterings" .....

Not sure what I would be thinking if I was in Taiwan at the minute.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9264
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 13 Dec 2016 9:36 am

TMD wrote:


...and ?

The next leader of the world's most powerful nation has again voiced his support for the weak and harried - Taiwan in this case ! (No malice intended ... ) ;)

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9264
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 13 Dec 2016 9:45 am

earthfriendly wrote:And this time around, it is China that needs to be reined in !


if you read history, starting with the Indo Chinese war, Vietnam war and to the China Russia break up, if there's something China doesn't like to do is, to be told what to do.

The most interesting explanation from China for going after the then weak and disorganised India was something along the lines of India insulted China and she must be taught a lesson she.won't forget, but one of the hidden story says it was to thwart the then India CIA listening post plans. Among other reasons PRC refused to accept.

And when Pakistan fought with India around the same time, China just stepped aside and logically no reasons are found why China didn't step in to help their so called Ally, Pakistan.

Though as of now, a war, even in small scale, will help shore up support for the Ruling Elite of the CPP.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10412
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 13 Dec 2016 11:49 am

There is no getting away from the fact that China was and remains a brutal dictatorship, willing to jail and torture its own citizens to retain power, willing to practice genocide to accomplish its expansionist aims.

What the child-king Trump fails to realize that his actions have consequences that he will not be able to control. Look what the thug Putin did in Ukraine... a calculated move to steal a piece of the Ukraine... but not enough to actually cause an outbreak of war. Putin also shot down a MAS airliner with zero consequences. And the US and its allies did nothing... more sanctions but no retailiatory response.

What is the orange buffoon going to do when the Chinese send an invasion force to Taiwan? Think they won't do it? Trump has given them a great excuse to do so. He no longer acknowledges the "one China" doctrine. Like Putin, the thugs in the Chinese leadership will see this as an opportunity to bring Taiwan back into its sphere of influence by force.

Trump must think he's playing a round of mublety pegs with a bunch of kiddies, when in reality, he is playing with fire. Is Trump really going to start a war with China over the independence of Taiwan?

If yes, there will be a massive rejection of his policy in the United States, and if no, he will have destroyed Taiwan's independence through his lunatic moves.

We are in for tough times, folks.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2063
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 15 Dec 2016 2:28 pm

Seem like its all gone quiet on the Toy Front!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 724
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby maneo » Thu, 15 Dec 2016 7:09 pm

PNGMK wrote:It's a shocking situation actually. I am becoming more and more concerned about a war and we know which sign Singapore will be on.

"Which [side] Singapore will be on"?
Why must they be on either side?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Dec 2016 10:18 pm

Unlike the Swiss and Europe. Asia has a big bully who has already said if you aren't in agreement with us. Then you are against us. Yin & Yang. Black & White. Screw 50 shades of grey.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1832
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:19 pm

As the CCP gains strength and power, so did their tyranny. Resulting in increasing fear of those who dare to speak up. One can only see where this will lead to. China has finally "allowed" Miss World (Canada) to speak to the media. Is this gonna be a new world order?


https://www.facebook.com/ajplusenglish/ ... 760682699/

BTW, both the CCP and modern China epitomize the opposite of Taoism. Taoism is about co-existence. Including the co-existence of opposing forces, e.g human being has the characteristic of being beastly and angelic simultaneously. And you learn to strike a balance between the two, rather than kicking the other one out. CCP will not co-exist with people they disagree with.

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/the-hidden-me ... -bellaimey

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby TMD » Sat, 17 Dec 2016 9:34 pm

ecureilx wrote:
TMD wrote:


...and ?

The next leader of the world's most powerful nation has again voiced his support for the weak and harried - Taiwan in this case ! (No malice intended ... ) ;)


...and ??

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby TMD » Sat, 17 Dec 2016 9:41 pm

PNGMK wrote:It's a shocking situation actually. I am becoming more and more concerned about a war and we know which sign Singapore will be on.


I am sanguine about this.

Reason is clear - this region has every reason to maintain stability and continue the economic dynamism that almost every country in east Asia had benefited since the end of Vietnam war.

The last thing these countries want is to provoke another long conflict that no one gains other than arms exporters.

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby TMD » Sat, 17 Dec 2016 9:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:And this time around, it is China that needs to be reined in !


if you read history, starting with the Indo Chinese war, Vietnam war and to the China Russia break up, if there's something China doesn't like to do is, to be told what to do.

The most interesting explanation from China for going after the then weak and disorganised India was something along the lines of India insulted China and she must be taught a lesson she.won't forget, but one of the hidden story says it was to thwart the then India CIA listening post plans. Among other reasons PRC refused to accept.

And when Pakistan fought with India around the same time, China just stepped aside and logically no reasons are found why China didn't step in to help their so called Ally, Pakistan.

Though as of now, a war, even in small scale, will help shore up support for the Ruling Elite of the CPP.



What is "Indo Chinese" war ? When did that occur ?

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby TMD » Sat, 17 Dec 2016 9:53 pm

Barnsley wrote:Seem like its all gone quiet on the Toy Front!


You might add megaphone diplomacy isn't the Asian way. :wink:

If Nixon\Kissinger hadn't taken that route, we wouldn't be enjoying affordable techno-gizmos today.

Nobody likes war, especially folks in Asia. They prefer JAW JAW over WAR WAR. :mrgreen:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9264
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 17 Dec 2016 11:10 pm

TMD wrote:What is "Indo Chinese" war ? When did that occur ?


don't tell me that part of history has been air brushed !!!

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby TMD » Sun, 18 Dec 2016 3:46 am

ecureilx wrote:
TMD wrote:What is "Indo Chinese" war ? When did that occur ?


don't tell me that part of history has been air brushed !!!


No seriously - I have read about "Indochina" wars and "India-China" war...

But never come across "Indo Chinese" war.

Anyone ?

TMD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue, 07 Apr 2015

Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Postby TMD » Sun, 18 Dec 2016 4:40 am

earthfriendly wrote:As the CCP gains strength and power, so did their tyranny. Resulting in increasing fear of those who dare to speak up. One can only see where this will lead to. China has finally "allowed" Miss World (Canada) to speak to the media. Is this gonna be a new world order?


https://www.facebook.com/ajplusenglish/ ... 760682699/

BTW, both the CCP and modern China epitomize the opposite of Taoism. Taoism is about co-existence. Including the co-existence of opposing forces, e.g human being has the characteristic of being beastly and angelic simultaneously. And you learn to strike a balance between the two, rather than kicking the other one out. CCP will not co-exist with people they disagree with.

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/the-hidden-me ... -bellaimey


I am not sure how Taoism influences China policy makers and politics of today.

But I do know no other countries in the world today implements 1-country-2-systems, marries socialism with capitalism yet able to manage relations with over a dozen countries of different sizes and cultures sharing its border without engaging long-term major conflicts while trying to feed over 1/5 humankind on 1/10 of the worlds arable land.

If one cannot appreciate the enormity of this constant balancing act between survival and chaos....then I do not think one has fully appreciate Ying and Yang.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest