Singapore Expats

legality of staying in rented flat after loss of EP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: legality of staying in rented flat after loss of EP

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 10:26 am

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:I know a handful of folks who rented condos under their company name but have registered themselves as tenants legally.
Register where? At HDB?
Why register condo tenancy with HDB ? beats me ...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 10:28 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
ecureilx wrote:not exactly true SMS. No offence :)

I know a handful of folks who rented condos under their company name but have registered themselves as tenants legally. They hold no residency in Singapore. They're in Singapore like twice a month or so.
The house can be rented by a company but don't forget that a company must have at least one "normally resident" director. If the company is a one man show, and the director loses her EP, then the company is not valid as it has no normally resident director.
One foreign tenant's company has "local" directors, don't know the specifics of the others.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 11:07 am

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:I know a handful of folks who rented condos under their company name but have registered themselves as tenants legally.
Register where? At HDB?
Why register condo tenancy with HDB ? beats me ...
Because this is the only case I am aware of where the tenants of a regular lease are sort of registered. But, I understand from your response to PNGM, you actually have no clue what is this "registration" about and if any tenants are really reported in the process to the gov bodies.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: legality of staying in rented flat after loss of EP

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 11:26 am

I know it is common practice for companies to rent condos, semi-D's, and even black and whites in order to put up traveling corporate employees and guests of the company. Employees, contractors, and even suppliers stay at the rented properties instead of a hotel from just a few days to the maximum amount allowed by their entrance visa.

I've never seen anyone "registered" under such circumstances. The home is rented by the company and has a designated person for contact persons with the landlord. Temporary people come and go as guests. But, there is an official lessee as part of the company. And again, no "registration" of temporary guests.

SimonTheExpat

Post by SimonTheExpat » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 11:36 am

What about if you buy a house when you have an EP, then when you lose your EP do you have to sell the house?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 11:50 am

No, you don't have to sell it, but owning and living in are 2 different things - for the clarity, I am still sticking to the opinion in my initial response.

flashn3

Post by flashn3 » Wed, 17 May 2017 8:34 pm

@simon the expat.

Hi mate,
I am in the same situation as you right now, my EP is about to be terminated by the company and I have no clue what to do with my tenancy agreement.

What happened to your situation eventually?