Singapore Expats

Can a DP Holder Apply PR Alongside His/Her Spouse?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
coblos

Post by coblos » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 8:33 pm

May I ask a little bit regarding PR eligibility?
My wife works in Singapore with an EP, while I'm just a DP holder.
We have a plan to apply for PR.
What I understand is an EP holder like my wife may apply for PR, source: https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151

In the ICA website, a DP Holder is not listed as one of the eligible PR applicants.
Can I apply for PR together with her?
Or I need to wait for my wife to get her PR approved first, then proceed with applying PR for myself?

Thanks

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Can a DP Holder Apply PR Alongside His/Her Spouse?

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 9:03 pm

coblos wrote:May I ask a little bit regarding PR eligibility?
What I understand is an EP holder like my wife may apply for PR, source: https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151

In the ICA website, a DP Holder is not listed as one of the eligible PR applicants.
Or I need to wait for my wife to get her PR approved first, then proceed with applying PR for myself?

Thanks
https://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/d ... AJan15.pdf

See if Page 7 makes sense to you...

coblos

Post by coblos » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 9:17 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
coblos wrote:May I ask a little bit regarding PR eligibility?

Thanks
https://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/d ... AJan15.pdf

See if Page 7 makes sense to you...
Thanks a lot for the answer.
I've been asking in several different forums, and people said I need to wait for my wife to get her PR, then she will apply for LTVP for me, then I can apply for PR.
But in this form it clearly says that someone can apply for PR alongside their spouse/children.

So could you please elaborate how the process would be?
If my wife get her PR, will I get my PR as well automatically (as I'm included in the application) ?
Or will my wife have to apply for LTVP, then I still need to make an application for myself?

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 9:30 pm

It could go either way, depending on the ICA Officer and the documents and details of their research on you and your family that they come up with during the field teams searches in your home country(ies). But normally it is advantageous to file for the whole family. If you file alone then ICA wonders if you are planning on ditching your family once you obtain PR. Make sense? If you have a male child and don't include him they they will suspect a NS dodging ruse to keep your son from doing mandatory military service with Singapore (A requirement of 2nd Gen Male PRs).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

coblos

Post by coblos » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 9:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It could go either way, depending on the ICA Officer and the documents and details of their research on you and your family that they come up with during the field teams searches in your home country(ies). But normally it is advantageous to file for the whole family. If you file alone then ICA wonders if you are planning on ditching your family once you obtain PR. Make sense?
Thanks for the answer.
So that means the best case scenario is I get my PR alongside my wife, correct?
And since my wife has been working in singapore only for 2 years, and we're Indonesian (Javanese not Chinese), do we have a good chance to get our PR approved?
I heard that it's better if someone have at least 3 years working in EP.

Thanks

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 9:54 pm

coblos wrote: Thanks for the answer.
And since my wife has been working in singapore only for 2 years, and we're Indonesian (Javanese not Chinese), do we have a good chance to get our PR approved?

Thanks
Yes, it will be approved or rejected as a unit if applied together.

Preferably it should be 3 tax NOA's.

As for chances of success, hard to say. To quote 'how long is a piece of string?'

coblos

Post by coblos » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 9:59 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
coblos wrote: Thanks for the answer.

Thanks
Yes, it will be approved or rejected as a unit if applied together.

Preferably it should be 3 tax NOA's.

As for chances of success, hard to say. To quote 'how long is a piece of string?'
Okay I guess I'll wait for another year then.
By the way will an unemployed male with PR, which age is 27 have to serve in the NS?
I heard that we can be exempted from NS only if we're employed.
But if we're unemployed by the time we got our PR, we'll have to serve in the NS.
Is that true?

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 10:18 pm

It's possible. But at 27 now, the odds are against it. You would have to register for it, but in all probability you would get a waiver.

Your biggest problem is going to be your ethnicity, to be honest. (If both you and your wife are ethnically Javanese and not Chinese).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

coblos

Post by coblos » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 10:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's possible. But at 27 now, the odds are against it. You would have to register for it, but in all probability you would get a waiver.

Your biggest problem is going to be your ethnicity, to be honest. (If both you and your wife are ethnically Javanese and not Chinese).
OK, I thought it's only applicable for the son of PR holder (first gen PR).
Yep, both of us are Javanese, we got 100 mil people around the world, but it seems doesn't help haha.

By the way if our PR application got rejected, how long do usually ICA ask people to wait before re-applying?
Is it short like 6 months or long like 1 or 2 years?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 10:37 pm

coblos wrote: By the way if our PR application got rejected, how long do usually ICA ask people to wait before re-applying?
Some rejection letter says wait for 2 years. Some says you can stay in Singapore as long as you can have your work pass renewed. Some says nothing.

Suggestion is wait for at least a year and when your circumstances have changed significantly since the first application.

coblos

Post by coblos » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 10:51 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
coblos wrote: By the way if our PR application got rejected, how long do usually ICA ask people to wait before re-applying?
Some rejection letter says wait for 2 years. Some says you can stay in Singapore as long as you can have your work pass renewed. Some says nothing.

Suggestion is wait for at least a year and when your circumstances have changed significantly since the first application.
OK thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 11:21 pm

My advice? Wait until you find a job. Even if it's on an LoC. Then after you also have at least 6 months salary history, file as a family. You will surely stand a better chance. However, how good that chance is, is another story.

gayan1991
Regular
Regular

Post by gayan1991 » Sat, 26 Nov 2016 11:44 am

EPA holder can apply for PR and you will become PR dependent. Then you can apply for PR. Right now, did you manage to find a slot to get an appointment to apply for PR. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Nov 2016 1:16 pm

No such thing as a PR dependent. If they become a PR, OP would need to get a LTVP not dependent pass. If you do not know what you are talking about, it's better not to say anything as that way you wont look silly.

Also there is no such thing as an EPA. :roll:

coblos

Post by coblos » Tue, 29 Nov 2016 12:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's possible. But at 27 now, the odds are against it. You would have to register for it, but in all probability you would get a waiver.

By the way, will religion affect PR chance?
I understand that if we're ethnically chinese we'd have an advantage, and I read in this forum that muslims and malay muslims might have a lesser chance in getting PR.
I'm Javanese (which might be considered as Malay), but both me & my wife are Roman Catholic.
Will it make any difference?