Singapore Expats

Experiences of living in Singapore - good, bad or funny

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
s185505

Experiences of living in Singapore - good, bad or funny

Post by s185505 » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 4:02 am

Good Evening all (or should that be morning?)

I am a first year Sociology student taking a module on migration and ethnicity about to give a presentation on Singapore and specifically some of the key draws of moving to Singapore. Our research has found the headline facts of its a clean, global metropolis with a world class education system but we would like our project to not only encompass the macro but the micro as well and to give a feel for what its like to live there. So to incorporate some first hand experiences of what its like to relocate to Singapore and the most impressive benefits as well as the most pressing issues we would like your aid.

If you could find the time to assist we would love to know what the top 3 benefits and challenges of living in Singapore are as well as the most surprising, unexpected or unusual aspect of relocating to Singapore that we may not see in the tourist brochures?

Thank you for your time

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Experiences of living in Singapore - good, bad or funny

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 2:54 pm

s185505 wrote:Good Evening all (or should that be morning?)

headline facts of its a clean, global metropolis with a world class education system but we would like our project to not only encompass
Thank you for your time
I am curious about the world-class education system - how do you define this and how many foreigners immigrating to Singapore have access to this?

I don't mean 'why do you think it's worldclass', I mean 'What cross-section of the education system in Singapore are you referring to?'.

Brian

s185505

Post by s185505 » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 8:23 pm

Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply. Its mainly due to the headline figures of topping the PISA rankings for 15 year olds and to a lesser extent of having two of the top 100 universities according to the Times, which considering its size, is pretty good.

Do you live in Singapore, have you had a contrary experience.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Sat, 26 Nov 2016 7:16 pm

The Singapore school system has limited slots for foreigners. It is best to consider this when contemplating a move to Singapore. Any expat family with school aged children should be prepared for alternatives such as International Schools which is very expensive or home schooling.

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Sat, 26 Nov 2016 8:36 pm

brian_singapore wrote: I am curious about the world-class education system - how do you define this and how many foreigners immigrating to Singapore have access to this?

I don't mean 'why do you think it's worldclass'...
I do.

My children are in local schools and I'm not impressed with the teachers. The teachers make countless mistakes and demonstrate a lack of a deeper understanding in their subjects. Correspondence from schools looks like it's written by people for whom English is not a first language, never mind their inability to lay out a letter. It would be nice if teachers could pronounce the word "lettuce".

The only reason I can find, so far, for this perception of it being "worldclass" is due to the massive tuition industry, which hardly puts the education system in a good light. Indeed, the attitude of teachers to children who are behind is that they should get tuition, so the teachers themselves admit that they're not good enough!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Nov 2016 11:03 pm

-spot on!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

s185505

Post by s185505 » Sun, 27 Nov 2016 7:01 pm

Thanks for the posts, its really interesting to hear that its not all the bed of roses its made out to be.

Any there any other things you've encountered that were a bit of an eye-opener, or any things that perhaps may be similar or even slightly better than good ol' blighty? The weather i'd guess.

Any input is appreciated as will help stop us sounding like a tour guide operator!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 11:15 am

Yes the weather. If you are going to be stuck in one season it might as well be hot.

But I seem to be in the minority here. Most expats I know miss the seasons. The locals can't live without aircon.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 2:38 pm

bgd wrote:Yes the weather. If you are going to be stuck in one season it might as well be hot.

But I seem to be in the minority here. Most expats I know miss the seasons. The locals can't live without aircon.
I'm with you on the weather :D

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 2:41 pm

s185505 wrote:Thanks for the posts, its really interesting to hear that its not all the bed of roses its made out to be.

Any there any other things you've encountered that were a bit of an eye-opener, or any things that perhaps may be similar or even slightly better than good ol' blighty? The weather i'd guess.

Any input is appreciated as will help stop us sounding like a tour guide operator!
My wife and I have small children. When we were looking at where to live in Asia, it basically came down to Hong Kong or Singapore. My wife didn't want to have young children in a developing country.

We decided on Singapore because of the pollution in Hong Kong and our perception that Singapore is a much safer, much more family friendly country then Hong Kong. We believe we were right and Hong Kong would have been a better option when we were younger and before we had children.

Our children are in an International School and we are very happy with the school. They are currently in a mandarin immersion program that is very good and is something we would never be able to find in our home country.

High salaries and low taxes are also attractive, with the caveat that what we save in taxes we spend in school fees.

s185505

Post by s185505 » Mon, 05 Dec 2016 6:45 pm

Thank you for your responses so far.

If anyone is still interesting in sharing/helping i would also love to know about your experiences in working in Singapore. Do you have to have a job to go to before you enter/settle in the country. Is it a case of multinational countries offering you the placement in Singapore or did you choose to go there and search for a job to go to. Are there any rules and regulations about working there that are different, whats the tax system like, do they have NHS.

Sorry I have lots of questions but anything you wish to relay will be fine. Im especially interested in your experiences rather than just the bureaucracy though thats important too!

daveco23

Post by daveco23 » Tue, 06 Dec 2016 10:37 am

Why not put together a set of questions you want answered - will target the responses to what info you need rather than wide ranging replies.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 06 Dec 2016 11:22 am

A lot of questions being asked such as health care, taxation and rules for work permits can be found with minimal leg work.... the same 1-2 hours on google everyone who ever migrated here spent to find out how.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Dec 2016 1:58 pm

Welllllll, not ALL of us, Brian, 'twernt no internet here when I got here in '82. (not usable, anyway). ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 06 Dec 2016 3:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Welllllll, not ALL of us, Brian, 'twernt no internet here when I got here in '82. (not usable, anyway). ;-)
Anyone who has arrived under the current rules and regulations :D