Singapore Expats

Looking for accommodation in turn of lessons for your children

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
ubax

Looking for accommodation in turn of lessons for your children

Post by ubax » Sat, 19 Nov 2016 6:26 am

Hello everybody !

My name is Jeremy, I am a french student coming to Singapore in December 2016 for an internship of 1 year. I have an engineering degree from a top tier school in France (Arts et Metiers ParisTech) and I am currently studying in a famous Business School (ESSEC).

I would like to find a bedroom in turn of free lessons for your children. I can teach French, Mathematics, Physics, Biology etc ... I am serious and I've already given lessons to disabled children in France

I already have a valid visa, so there is not any problem for me to work in Singapore.

If you are interested, feel free to contact me, I would be pleased to give you more details about my background ! :)

x9200

Re: Looking for accommodation in turn of lessons for your children

Post by x9200 » Sat, 19 Nov 2016 3:10 pm

ubax wrote:Hello everybody !

My name is Jeremy, I am a french student coming to Singapore in December 2016 for an internship of 1 year. I have an engineering degree from a top tier school in France (Arts et Metiers ParisTech) and I am currently studying in a famous Business School (ESSEC).

I would like to find a bedroom in turn of free lessons for your children. I can teach French, Mathematics, Physics, Biology etc ... I am serious and I've already given lessons to disabled children in France

I already have a valid visa, so there is not any problem for me to work in Singapore.

If you are interested, feel free to contact me, I would be pleased to give you more details about my background ! :)
You mean you have a work pass allowing you to work aside of your training pass, or whatever you have for the internship?

ubax

Post by ubax » Sat, 19 Nov 2016 4:15 pm

I mean I have a Work Holiday Pass for my internship (which will be transformed into an EP by my employer).

As long as I am not paid to give lessons in a family, I think I don't need any supplementary visa, right ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Nov 2016 7:14 pm

Wrong. If you are bartering (e.g., doing work and receiving 'in kind' of payment, then your income is the fair market value of those services you are performing as determined by the fair market value of the goods/services you are receiving in return. As the holder of an employment pass, you cannot do part time work and should you be caught you will lose your right to work and ability to stay in Singapore.

Having said that, everybody knows somebody who is moonlighting while on a work pass, but that doesn't make it legal, whether you receive cash or in-kind payment for your services is immaterial.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Looking for accommodation in turn of lessons for your children

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 19 Nov 2016 9:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Having said that, everybody knows somebody who is moonlighting while on a work pass, but that doesn't make it legal, whether you receive cash or in-kind payment for your services is immaterial.
add to it, good luck in finding somebody who is kind enough to barter accommodation for lessons, from a French guy. One can hope. Of course.

ubax

Post by ubax » Sat, 19 Nov 2016 9:39 pm

Thank you for your answers !

x9200

Re: RE: Re: Looking for accommodation in turn of lessons for your children

Post by x9200 » Sun, 20 Nov 2016 7:32 am

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
add to it, good luck in finding somebody who is kind enough to barter accommodation for lessons, from a French guy. One can hope. Of course.
True too. The cheapest reasonable room would be like what, $500-600? People who rent out such rooms are usually not that well off (they look for some extra money) or pretty well off (they have a number of room for rental). In any of these 2 cases, a chance to find someone to hire the OP as a tutor, with any substantial income (a few hundred dollars/month), is IMHO rather low.