Singapore Expats

Powerlifting Gyms

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
newforest2014

Powerlifting Gyms

Post by newforest2014 » Tue, 15 Nov 2016 12:29 pm

Hi,

I'm new to Singapore and struggling to find a place to work out. The only gyms I can find are crowded, overpriced globo-gym chains with little in the way of squat racks, benches, or heavy weights. I don't want a PT studio either.

Are there any old school gyms in Singapore? Even places like Golds Gym would be favorable to what I have seen so far. I'm really surprised as given the amount of money and expats in this city I figure someone would have opened the type of real gyms you get in LA, Boston, New York, London, etc. I'm posting on this forum in the hope there is somewhere under the radar people know about...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Powerlifting Gyms

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Nov 2016 1:13 pm

Have you done a search of this forum? It's been discussed a number of times (but so has the globo gyms as well so you will still have to sift through the threads). Here are a couple of the latest ones that don't dwell on places like California Fitness and their ilk.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=108506

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=103186
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

newforest2014

Post by newforest2014 » Tue, 15 Nov 2016 2:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Have you done a search of this forum? It's been discussed a number of times (but so has the globo gyms as well so you will still have to sift through the threads). Here are a couple of the latest ones that don't dwell on places like California Fitness and their ilk.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=108506

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=103186
Thank you. I did but didn't find the reference to Solitude of Strength. Google wasn't much help as I was focusing on things around MBFC where there seems to be a lack of these types of gyms, assuming only the Globo Gym model can afford the rent around here. I guess weekend trips to Geylang are in order

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Nov 2016 3:01 pm

We used to have a long time member (ukranian) Sergei82 who was a bulked up heavy lifter who reminded me of Franco Columbo (short in stature but built like a bull). He may have been part of some of those threads.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

carlchiafitness

Post by carlchiafitness » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 3:24 pm

There's a quite a few powerlifting friendly gyms around Singapore now. Here are some of them:

1) Elevate strength & conditioning gym at upper thomson

2) The Gym Nation at upper bukit timah

3) The Strength Yard at joo chiat

4) Solitude of Strength at Aljunied/geylang

5) Gym Brigade at upper serangoon

6) Singapore Weightlifting Federation gym at Kallang

7) The Forge at lavender

8) The Gym Nation at bedok

9) The Gymmboxx chain (not exactly a powerlifting gym. more a neighbourhood commercial gym, but some of them are well equipped enough for PL training)
newforest2014 wrote:Hi,

I'm new to Singapore and struggling to find a place to work out. The only gyms I can find are crowded, overpriced globo-gym chains with little in the way of squat racks, benches, or heavy weights. I don't want a PT studio either.

Are there any old school gyms in Singapore? Even places like Golds Gym would be favorable to what I have seen so far. I'm really surprised as given the amount of money and expats in this city I figure someone would have opened the type of real gyms you get in LA, Boston, New York, London, etc. I'm posting on this forum in the hope there is somewhere under the radar people know about...
CarlChiaFitness.com - Leaner, Stronger & Fitter

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 6:11 pm

In the 90's there were a couple of 'hardcore' gyms in Singapore. There was a World Gym (no link to the original) in Kallang and another gym that I used to go to at Boat Quay (above Harry's believe it or not). They very much catered to bodybuilders/powerlifters but rapidly went out of business. Most recently there was gym run by ex-Mr. Singapore Kevin Chiak out of the Cairnhill Community Club near Newton Hawker centre which was the 'official gym' of the Singapore Bodybuilding Federation. Now also out of business... you can see a pattern here I'm sure.

The place closest to MBFC that I can think of is Fitness Factory run by two champion Singapore bodybuilders but it is more of a PT gym, though really well equipped.

If I were you, I'd check out membership of Anytime Fitness. As a franchise, they probably have a place near where you live if not where you work and some of their branches - I'm thinking of the one at Kallang Wave mall in particular - are very well equipped for serious lifters. My neighborhood branch is small but really well equipped in terms of a couple plate-loading hammer strength machines that I love and squat/power rack. Needs more 20kg plates though and the dumbells only go up to 40kg.
Last edited by Addadude on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

subashgk007
Regular
Regular

Post by subashgk007 » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 9:22 pm

Go for first fitness, with 24 hour access. You may check in their website for trainer availability.(if needed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SandyLim

Not the most honest gym

Post by SandyLim » Thu, 06 Jul 2017 12:20 am

For anyone who wants to cancel their account. Do check your credit card statements diligently for any overcharge.

Went in person to inform them that my request to cancel the membership was not processed properly and I have been charged fees in error. Was told to wait for their call as manager was not around. They did not call me back.

I called back a few days later only to find out that another month's fee has been added due to the time that lapse waiting for the call that never came.

Yes.. another month of fees to be paid with no possibility of refund again! Even though I have already been charged in error, sufficient to more than cover the mandatory cancellation fees.

On top of all that fees I paid for nothing, the mandatory cancellation fee applies. I was passed from agent to agent until a Senior customer service officer assured me that she will resolve this unfortunate situation. Few days later, I received a standard email reply attached with standard terms and conditions.

What a horrible waste of time and poor customer handling. Charging a customer month's of fees in error and replying with a standard terms of conditions is just poor taste.