Singapore Expats

Questions about National Service in Singapore

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
NSissues

Questions about National Service in Singapore

Post by NSissues » Sun, 13 Nov 2016 12:42 am

I know that there is a guide to NS issues in this forum; but I didn't see it covered in there.
Case:
-I'm currently 16 and will turn 16.5 in a few months.
-My parents and I have been living abroad for a lot of that time.
I'm currently in the process of enlistment, so I have questions regarding the bond; so in case I decide to desert, will their other assets be targeted as well or simply the bond? If I have inferred correctly from the information I received; the bond is pegged to the parent who makes less each year. So if our HHI is over 150k; but one parent makes less than 75k, we will only have to furnish the 75k amount, right?

My parents own several private homes in Singapore; but a certain relative do live in Singapore and has a flat there, so I'm wondering if they will be harassed. I'm given the understanding that if I were to default; my parents would only lose the bond amount. I would like to clarify if that's the case.
I'm speaking in ambiguous terms in an attempt for anonymity; but I think the overall question is clear.
Best wishes,
A concerned 'Singaporean'/other national abroad.

Reinstated by moderator
Last edited by NSissues on Sun, 13 Nov 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Questions about National Service in Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Nov 2016 1:03 am

NSissues wrote:I know that there is a guide to NS issues in this forum; but I didn't see it covered in there.
Case:
-I'm currently 16 and will turn 16.5 in a few months.
-My parents and I have been living abroad for a lot of that time.
I'm currently in the process of enlistment, so I have questions regarding the bond; so in case I decide to desert, will their other assets be targeted as well or simply the bond? If I have inferred correctly from the information I received; the bond is pegged to the parent who makes less each year. So if our HHI is over 150k; but one parent makes less than 75k, we will only have to furnish the 75k amount, right?

My parents own several private homes in Singapore; but a certain relative do live in Singapore and has a flat there, so I'm wondering if they will be harassed. I'm given the understanding that if I were to default; my parents would only lose the bond amount. I would like to clarify if that's the case.
I'm speaking in ambiguous terms in an attempt for anonymity; but I think the overall question is clear.
Best wishes,
A concerned 'Singaporean'/other national abroad.

To make it simple, Zach, you don't have the anonymity you think you do. With your computer background you should know that. Additionally, you have your information incorrect.....

https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-ns/ ... -and-bond/
The bond amount is S$75,000 or an amount equivalent to 50% of the combined annual gross income of both your parents for the preceding year, whichever is higher.
It is provided in the form of a Banker's Guarantee.
Which means the bank will require collateral which could mean most anything (like the houses owned in Singapore, for instance).
Exit Permit offences
1 Any NS-liable male aged between 13 years old and 16.5 years old who is in breach of the Enlistment Act may be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $2,000. Any such persons may not be sufficiently mature to understand their obligations under the Enlistment Act. Each parent, guardian or person having actual custody will also be liable for Exit Permit offences of their child or ward aged between 13 years old and 16.5 years old and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $2,000.

2 Any NS-liable male above the age of 16.5 years old who remains outside Singapore without a valid Exit Permit shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years or to both
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 14 Nov 2016 7:48 am

Don't desert. It's not only putting your parents bond at risk it is also a criminal offense which can cause many problems down the track (visas, jobs, getting a loan from a bank etc). There are other ways to do NS if it worries you that much. Do SCDF or non combat role for example.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

vlogin

Post by vlogin » Wed, 21 Mar 2018 10:00 pm

Do not cross post in multiple threads. It only confuses things.