Singapore Expats

Letter to ICA including in PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Aurora08

Letter to ICA including in PR application

Post by Aurora08 » Tue, 08 Nov 2016 12:05 pm

Hi All,

We are preparing for PR documents to apply next Jan. I heard from some friends that if you attach a personal letter in your document, express yourself and tell them how you want to become a SPR, maybe your change to get approval is higher. I am not sure it help or not but I think it's not a harm if we do that, so I am thinking about how to prepare this letter :)

Anyone in this forum have done this before or have any experience please share with me. Following is some of my information:

Race: Vienamese
Salary: $7000
Industry: Construction
Married with wife and daughter.

Thanks and hope to have your feedback soon!!!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: Letter to ICA including in PR application

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 08 Nov 2016 4:24 pm

Aurora08 wrote:Hi All,

We are preparing for PR documents to apply next Jan. I heard from some friends that if you attach a personal letter in your document, express yourself and tell them how you want to become a SPR, maybe your change to get approval is higher. I am not sure it help or not but I think it's not a harm if we do that, so I am thinking about how to prepare this letter :)

Anyone in this forum have done this before or have any experience please share with me. Following is some of my information:

You can attach a letter if you would like to. But that will not increase your approval chances.

You can include on
- Why you want to be a PR?
- What value you bring in?
- What will be your contribution?
- How can you give back to the Society?
- How will you integrate and live in SG

But please be true and don't write things that you will not be able to do.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 08 Nov 2016 5:24 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Aurora08 wrote:Hi All,

You can attach a letter if you would like to. But that will not increase your approval chances.

You can include on
- Why you want to be a PR?
- What value you bring in?
- What will be your contribution?
- How can you give back to the Society?
- How will you integrate and live in SG

But please be true and don't write things that you will not be able to do.
The objective is to get PR isn't?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Nov 2016 5:50 pm

Fortunately for most of the applicants ICA unlikely relies any way on such letters. If ICA would be serious about them, it would more often work against the applicants than in their favour.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Letter to ICA including in PR application

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 08 Nov 2016 9:58 pm

x9200 wrote:Fortunately for most of the applicants ICA unlikely relies any way on such letters. If ICA would be serious about them, it would more often work against the applicants than in their favour.
And fortunately or unfortunately .. most often the ICA officer don't even accept those letters, with a smile, saying 'if needed, we'll ask for such letter .. '

With the work load I suspect such letters needlessly slow things down.

Add to it, in the recent past years, more than a few of those who swore serious allegiance to SG inc were those who took off to greener pastures. I don't know but I can assume the folks at ICA may have zero opinion on letters per se.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Nov 2016 11:18 pm

C'mon,they are not idiots and this is not the most beautiful motivational letter contest. Such letters IMHO make only sense if they can provide some tangible information not captured otherwise in the main form. 99% of such letters would be nothing but BS. Similarly, who would believe in some noble intentions behind the volunteering and property buying epidemy so typical for Indian PR applications? While I am not saying there are no good will people around, majority does it for scoring only (or so they believe). How an ICA officer suppose to find time to filter the overwhelming BS from some rare gems?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Nov 2016 5:05 pm

^^This!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 09 Nov 2016 7:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:^^This!
But all it takes is someone to say they "wrote a letter" and they got approval. Irrespective of whether that letter had any impact or not , "the letter" is key.

I have had a couple of friends get PR and they wrote letters with the flowery fluff , therefore they associate getting PR with having a letter , even though it likely had no impact at all.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

squishyfats

Post by squishyfats » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 2:21 pm

They might think all talk and no action.

If you want to show that you've been contributing in a certain manner, get that relevant individual to write you a referral or testimonial addressed to ICA. It will be taken more seriously than a letter you are to write about yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 3:11 pm

If the letter mattered, I'm sure ICA would quickly find themselves inundated with identical letters 'searched and replaced' off the internet from services 'guaranteeing' approval.

Although that might help ICA speed up the selection process. Think of all the paper they'd never have to read past the cover letter....