Singapore Expats

First PR application rejected...what are your thoughts?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
x9200

Re: First PR application rejected...what are your thoughts?

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Nov 2016 7:00 am

Top management of MNCs seem not the desired flavour. This was reported on this board a number of times already. Most likely considered with poor chance of settling down permanently.

Absquatulate9899

Post by Absquatulate9899 » Thu, 10 Nov 2016 7:19 pm

x9200 wrote:Top management of MNCs seem not the desired flavour. This was reported on this board a number of times already. Most likely considered with poor chance of settling down permanently.
I mean even if they had family and kids, more or less who have studied and are still studying through the local system, doesn't it show they would settle?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Nov 2016 9:20 pm

If the top manager gets a new assignment/role in another country, is the family going to stop him?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 10 Nov 2016 10:21 pm

Absquatulate9899 wrote:Greetings, for some background information, my family applied earlier this year which includes me, my son (18) and my daughter (16) with me being main applicant. Our application was rejected as it was pending for 3 months, I was devastated as we wanted to make Singapore our home and my family had plans of settling down here. My kids had attended a local secondary school, so far my son had finished his O levels and is now studying in a local polytechnic. I’m sure my daughter would follow through. I’ve also have local friends and am active within the community.

Nationality: Filipino
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering and relevant course training certificates
Industry: Oil and Gas
Position: Global Helium Logistics Manager at an MNC (Has higher local to foreigner ratio)
Salary: $160,000 - $170,000 per annum
NOA: 5 Times
Years in Singapore: 3 (Since July 2013)
Application date: July 29, 2016
Rejection date: November 3, 2016

Apart from being required to submit more documents and the fact that I’m undergoing a divorce which I submitted relevant documents to the ICA officer, I don’t know what else could have caused our application to be rejected. We would consider applying again but how long must we wait until our next appointment? And thus any feedback would be welcomed.

Update:
We just received our rejection letter, I did state the usual rejection however nothing of the sort "You may apply again after x months"
It looks like they give around 29k-30k PR a year , do you know how many are in the system already and how many more are applying, every slot is full up til April.

What do you offer that the country needs?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: First PR application rejected...what are your thoughts?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 10 Nov 2016 10:42 pm

Absquatulate9899 wrote: I mean even if they had family and kids, more or less who have studied and are still studying through the local system, doesn't it show they would settle?
When certain individuals showed extreme engagement in local affairs, grassroot programs, outstanding volunteerism ... etc etc to get PR and buy a house ... and once they got PR, forgot about everything and took off at the first opportunity selling off everything ...

The recent past has seemingly made decision makers ignore most of this 'commitment' stuff.. or so the grapevine says ...

And it's pretty accurate ...

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 11 Nov 2016 7:53 am

My experience with senior management is they are willing and expected to move around as their role changes or they take on new assignments. They tend to be very career focused and do whats necessary.

However most assignments do tend to be longish, in the 5 to 10 year range and as their responsibilities grow, they tend to take them in where they are living until it reaches a critical point and they move.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 11 Nov 2016 9:01 am

Barnsley wrote:
Absquatulate9899 wrote:Greetings, for some background information, my family applied earlier this year which includes me, my son (18) and my daughter (16) with me being main applicant. Our application was rejected as it was pending for 3 months, I was devastated as we wanted to make Singapore our home and my family had plans of settling down here. My kids had attended a local secondary school, so far my son had finished his O levels and is now studying in a local polytechnic. I’m sure my daughter would follow through. I’ve also have local friends and am active within the community.

Nationality: Filipino
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering and relevant course training certificates
Industry: Oil and Gas
Position: Global Helium Logistics Manager at an MNC (Has higher local to foreigner ratio)
Salary: $160,000 - $170,000 per annum
NOA: 5 Times
Years in Singapore: 3 (Since July 2013)
Application date: July 29, 2016
Rejection date: November 3, 2016

Apart from being required to submit more documents and the fact that I’m undergoing a divorce which I submitted relevant documents to the ICA officer, I don’t know what else could have caused our application to be rejected. We would consider applying again but how long must we wait until our next appointment? And thus any feedback would be welcomed.

Update:
We just received our rejection letter, I did state the usual rejection however nothing of the sort "You may apply again after x months"
It looks like they give around 29k-30k PR a year , do you know how many are in the system already and how many more are applying, every slot is full up til April.

What do you offer that the country needs?

only 25k PR per year and of that only a small % to Philipino if they are under 'other' race category.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 11 Nov 2016 9:07 am

My suspicion (pure speculation - no evidence or anecsotes to supoort) is people with extended approvals are 'queued' for apparoval based on their targets. They just put them in the pipeline for approval.

This doesn't explain why rejections take so long, unless they rank new applicants as they come in and people eventually fall off the back....

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:37 am

Adding on to what posters have mentioned

As you can see, only 7.7% of new PR are in your age bracket and you're at the tail end of the gahmen's definition of prime working age for PR (of 25-49 y.o.). ICA may say you're welcome to stay here as long as you can have your work pass renewed.

As for your children, if they are committed to staying in SG, ICA may take the view that let them complete their studies and see they can be gainfully employed here then apply based on their own merits.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 12 Nov 2016 8:33 am

I would not make any conclusion based on the above table alone, because all what it shows are convoluted data. If the applicant is a person desired in Singapore 7.7% would mean nothing for her or him. In other words, if 100% people with a desired profile are accepted s/he still has 100% chance to get in even if this person is 45yo.

Now, speculating how ICA does it, if I were ICA I would have a rating system allowing to divide the applicants to different groups where the best scored group(s) (say group A) is always below the quota and gets always accepted. All the others are competing against each other within what is left from the quota after accepting the group A and this happens only within a set period of time (long months). Of course, there must be also a group "Z" rejected as soon as they are processed.

Such system would produce the trends that we actually observe - some candidates are accepted quickly, some slowly. If you are a well educated, job-experienced, 25-35yo Malaysian-Chinese living in Singapore beyond 3 tax assessments period, etc etc, you will be always accepted (providing nothing else is seriously wrong). If you are an Indian with a good profile, you most likely need to wait some time to see if for the given quota your profile still holds and you don't drop out the queue in favour of someone better.

Again, just speculating, and this is of course a pretty gross simplification of how such system could be designed..

Absquatulate9899

Post by Absquatulate9899 » Mon, 05 Dec 2016 12:48 pm

x9200 wrote:If the top manager gets a new assignment/role in another country, is the family going to stop him?

Actually, my position is permanent here in Singapore until I retire, my company isn't looking to move me. Would it help if I have supporting documents as proof for this in my 2nd application?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 05 Dec 2016 1:28 pm

Absquatulate9899 wrote:
x9200 wrote:If the top manager gets a new assignment/role in another country, is the family going to stop him?

Actually, my position is permanent here in Singapore until I retire, my company isn't looking to move me. Would it help if I have supporting documents as proof for this in my 2nd application?
I think it's less about the specific position held by the applicant, but potential opportunities the job/experience/profile may create. It was a general remark, so not sure how impactful this would be in your case - I would expect your race and age being probably the primary issues.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 05 Dec 2016 9:23 pm

Absquatulate9899 wrote:

What do you have? A series of post dated cheques? A contract? None of that matters - it's worth ZERO. If you are the senior successful whatever you claim to be you know it means nothing.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Mike929

Post by Mike929 » Sun, 05 Mar 2017 9:21 pm

I was a former SPR way back 2001. The way I look at it is that ICA set a certain time/year for any nationality to get approve for PR. During the time (2004) when filipinos were given opportunity that PR application is just as easy as 1-2-3. Imagine, whoever applies for PR got approved! Maybe you are wondering why there are a lot of filipinos working in Singapore. It was because of that easy PR application.

I guess you just wait for the right time.

Best of luck to you and your kids in your next application.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: First PR application rejected...what are your thoughts?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 05 Mar 2017 9:34 pm

Mike929 wrote:Imagine, whoever applies for PR got approved! Maybe you are wondering why there are a lot of filipinos working in Singapore. It was because of that easy PR application.
lol ..

Is that why the number of Filipinos seeking OEC in the embassy is always so high ?

Hint, Filipino PR don't need OEC.