Singapore Expats Forum

what time are the shops open till?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

marie

what time are the shops open till?

Postby marie » Fri, 04 Feb 2005 5:28 am

hi my flight stops in singapore for one night. I arrive at 6pm on a wednesday and leave the next morning.

My question is is... what time do shops close in chinatown and little india where are the best places to shop?

Oceanworld

Postby Oceanworld » Fri, 04 Feb 2005 7:09 am

They usually close between 9 to 10 pm but because now's the Chinese Lunar New Year season they close much later for Chinatown. :D

marie

Postby marie » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:20 am

thanks!

junikaart

Postby junikaart » Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:04 pm

if u are arriving on wednesday dont bother going to chinatown coz everything wud be close coz its the first day of chinese new year... u might try little india or the malay village.

marie

Postby marie » Tue, 08 Feb 2005 5:17 am

hi again, I won't be there until 30th march. Where is the malay village? I fly in at 6pm - I'll grab a cab and head straight into the city.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:57 am

marie wrote:hi again, I won't be there until 30th march. Where is the malay village? I fly in at 6pm - I'll grab a cab and head straight into the city.

The Malay Village is in Paya Lebar which is on the airport side of the city and easy to get too.

don't know what time its open till - I leave near there in Geylang and everytime I go near the joint it looks pretty quite to me...

marie

Postby marie » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 5:04 am

thanks guys - you are so helpful,

What is at the Malay village? cause I won't have much time to shop - I want to get a chinese style dress for my daughter. Should I just head straight into chinatown or can I get alot of interesting stuff at the malay Village? :D

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 1:15 am

marie wrote:thanks guys - you are so helpful,

What is at the Malay village? cause I won't have much time to shop - I want to get a chinese style dress for my daughter. Should I just head straight into chinatown or can I get alot of interesting stuff at the malay Village? :D

Malay stuff in the Malay Village - quite nice too :wink:

If you want Chinese stuff head straight for China Town and they have the benifit of staying opn late generally.

junikaart

Postby junikaart » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 5:09 am

maybe u jus want to walk around chinatown then if u dont hv much time. coz there are more stuff to see at chinatown than at malay village (which is nice but small). from chinatown u can also walk to boat quay en clark quay 2 very touristy spots in singapore :P.
suggested chinatown to my dutch relatives too when they were here jus for a day but i couldnt show them around coz i was in nederlands then :oops:

nana

Postby nana » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:57 am

Another option is to go to Mustafa... off Little India. The store is open 24h/24 and you find many things... I am not so sure though regarding a chinese style dress for your daughter but Indian style outfit and bangles yes...
You can also go to Boat quay (or is it clarke quay?? I always confuse them so double check)... On that quay there are touristy shops with chinese dresses. Not sure what time they close though... if someone knows?

enjoy your short time in Singapore! :)

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:00 pm

nana wrote:You can also go to Boat quay (or is it clarke quay?? I always confuse them so double check)... On that quay there are touristy shops with chinese dresses. Not sure what time they close though... if someone knows?

You'll find a much wider selection of touristy stuff in Chinatown. Most shops there close by 10 PM at the latest though.