Singapore Expats Forum

5 questions, employment pass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

nicolas-paris

5 questions, employment pass

Postby nicolas-paris » Fri, 04 Feb 2005 2:58 am

Hi everyone!

Five questions on employment...I'm a Cambridge graduate and have been working as a journalist in Paris for the past four years. i'll be moving to Sing in the next couple of months. I was there last week and established good contacts with potential employers (in research, I have an economics background). Sounds like good prospects but here are a few question marks:

-One research institute might be offering a three month contract. Which would be a good start. But if my salary is crap, will it reflect on the nature of my employment pass and subsequent ability to find a long-term job?

-Another institute says it would need me for temporary missions in the next few months. In other words they are unable to promise a salary + full-time job. Is there any way of getting an employment permit for this kind of work or do I need to get a pass elsewhere so I can work for them too?

-Once I have an employment pass, can I work for several people?

- Is it true that one can register a business online and cater to several different clients as a consultant? Do I need a precise business plan for the Ministry of Manpower? Can I do that now before I move to Sing?

-Another institute is offering me an internship. 3 months, 1,500 Sing $ a month + medical. I can't think of an employment pass for this kind of salary...but they say they'll sponsor me. What kind of pass is that gg to be? And would anyone say that accepting an internship in Sing at age 27 is pure madness?

Many thanks, sorry about the length...

Nicolas
French jousnalist to settle in Singapore Feb 2005

Strong Eagle

Re: 5 questions, employment pass

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:31 am

nicolas-paris wrote:Hi everyone!

-One research institute might be offering a three month contract. Which would be a good start. But if my salary is crap, will it reflect on the nature of my employment pass and subsequent ability to find a long-term job?

The short answer is that you really need to contact the Ministry of Manpower to discuss your situation. There may be some alternatives for such short term employment that are not listed on their website.

If your salary is poor $1800 or less), the best you will be able to get is an S pass. You need to make $2500 per month for a Q1 pass and at least $3500 to qualify for a P pass, the best.

But I cannot emphasize enough: The employer is the one that must make application for the pass, even though you may fill out the form, the employer must make the justification for your pass. Thus, I would expect either of the institutes would be very familiar with the process if they have hired more people than you. They are the place to start with your questions.

See the MoM website:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/MOM/CDA/0,1858,12 ... --,00.html

-Another institute says it would need me for temporary missions in the next few months. In other words they are unable to promise a salary + full-time job. Is there any way of getting an employment permit for this kind of work or do I need to get a pass elsewhere so I can work for them too?

Again, this is a question for MoM and/or the institute as it does not fall under the guidelines for normal employment.

-Once I have an employment pass, can I work for several people?

No. The employment pass is issued for a specific employer. If you leave one employer, you must turn in your old pass and apply for another.

- Is it true that one can register a business online and cater to several different clients as a consultant? Do I need a precise business plan for the Ministry of Manpower? Can I do that now before I move to Sing?

It is not as simple as that. You are talking about an Entrepass. To apply for one you must demonstrate business experience, acedemic credentials, and possibly cash to be able to support yourself. You need a comprehensive business plan. I've seen a man get in with a 7 page plan, my plan was 28 pages.

This may be a viable way to accomplish what you want, but rest assured that your plans are carefully evaluated for their contribution to the Singaporean economy... jobs, new technology, new methods... you must do something that adds value. Some of the best and brightest college graduates work at MoM.

Once they say yes to your plan, then you can register a business... online I think, but to do it right, you should use a local professional who knows the law so you don't mess things up.

You can submit your plan from out of country but all communications will go to an in Singapore address that you must provide (go figure)... you can hire an accountant/lawyer for a nominal fee to be your address and forward mail to you. You will also need a business in Singapore to guarantee a repatriation bond. If you go this route you should explore having one or more of the institutes act as your address and support your bond. Also, your plan would have a better chance of approval if you could note that you already have three paying clients in the wings if your plan is accepted.

You can explore more of this option at:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/MOM/CDA/0,1858,12 ... --,00.html

My personal opinion is that this is a viable option if you are creative, professional, degreed, and can put a good plan together. Then again, I know nothing of the inner workings of MoM.

-Another institute is offering me an internship. 3 months, 1,500 Sing $ a month + medical. I can't think of an employment pass for this kind of salary...but they say they'll sponsor me. What kind of pass is that gg to be? And would anyone say that accepting an internship in Sing at age 27 is pure madness?

I don't know what kind of pass that is... maybe some foreign worker permit. It really doesn't matter a whole lot what your permit type is if it gets you in the country doing what you want. You'll need to get another permit from another employer when you change jobs anyway.

As for being age 27, you are young! Plenty of time to discover the world, make money. Follow your heart. I reinvented myself at age 55 to come over here and start a business. Nothing is permanent, and if it doesn't work you can always go back. Take the risk and see what life has to offer. That way, you won't be in the 90 percent of the population that don't like what they do but are too timid to strike out.

Good luck.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:43 am

I would add one thing. Come over here and check the place out before you make the move permanent. You can go to MoM and get details... they are helpful. You can see what you'll get to live in at your salary level, and the kind of shopping you will be doing. It may help you better define a business plan. Email me if you decide to come over.

nicolas-paris

part-time?

Postby nicolas-paris » Sun, 06 Feb 2005 6:54 am

Thanks a bunch for your reply strong eagle. (as far as checking the place out, I was there last week for the 1st time and it sounds like I could definitely live there.)

I've checked out the MOM website and all of these questions are not really answered in any detail. Does no one in Singapore (expat or other) ever hold two part-time jobs? If anyone here does, I'd be happy to hear what kind of permit they have, and how they negotiated the whole thing!

Thanks in advance...
French jousnalist to settle in Singapore Feb 2005

Strong Eagle

Re: part-time?

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 06 Feb 2005 7:12 pm

nicolas-paris wrote:Does no one in Singapore (expat or other) ever hold two part-time jobs? If anyone here does, I'd be happy to hear what kind of permit they have, and how they negotiated the whole thing!

The purpose of the employment pass is not to let foreigners come work as they choose, it is a way for companies to import personnel with talents they cannot find in Singapore. As such, it is focused on the idea that companies hire people full time to do a job. Working part time or working for two companies just doens't seem to be part of the entire idea of importing skilled labor.

As for non expats, aka citizens or PR's, the situation is different. Once you attain PR status, your ability to stay in the country is not tied to having a registered job, and so you can work for whomever you might choose.

guest#1

Postby guest#1 » Mon, 07 Feb 2005 5:42 pm

Thanks Strong Eagle for your good replies.

As far I know PR status is given for 5years & then renewable.
Can any one tell me is there any possibility of rejection of renewal after 5years ? How many percent of PRs actually faces this? What are the cause of such rejection to renewal by Govt ?(excetp infected by AIDS).

Thanks in advance.