Singapore Expats

Sim Lim Square - Good, bad and ugly - READ BEFORE VISITING

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Sim Lim Square - Good, bad and ugly - READ BEFORE VISITING

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 12:19 am

kimpak wrote:It's really good tips. When I first came to Singapore, my colleagues were always telling me to be careful and to avoid Sim Lim. They said it's not uncommon foreigners and even locals to get ripped off in that IT mall. I've always just visited Funan. However, now Funan is closed so these tips come in handy.
Explain rip off ? Buying at SRP or not getting enough discount ?

kimpak

Re: RE: Re: Sim Lim Square - Good, bad and ugly - READ BEFORE VISITING

Post by kimpak » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 11:43 am

ecureilx wrote:
kimpak wrote:It's really good tips. When I first came to Singapore, my colleagues were always telling me to be careful and to avoid Sim Lim. They said it's not uncommon foreigners and even locals to get ripped off in that IT mall. I've always just visited Funan. However, now Funan is closed so these tips come in handy.
Explain rip off ? Buying at SRP or not getting enough discount ?
I get that it may be a case of not being street smart enough when going or not being familiar/not enough research when visiting Sim Lim that may create that impression that Sim Lim isn't a reliable place.

I have personally avoided. Colleagues told me that they will charge me more because I don't look or sound local. I just took those words of advice.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sim Lim Square - Good, bad and ugly - READ BEFORE VISITING

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 06 Mar 2017 12:45 pm

kimpak wrote:
I get that it may be a case of not being street smart enough when going or not being familiar/not enough research when visiting Sim Lim that may create that impression that Sim Lim isn't a reliable place.

I have personally avoided. Colleagues told me that they will charge me more because I don't look or sound local. I just took those words of advice.
there are two kinds in Sim Lim Square and most places

Those unscrupulous, especially the infamous phone shops who sell a 100 $ phone for 300 $.

Then there are honest computer shops, who try to make a living by selling a 100 $ graphic card for 100 $. And take care of replacement, repair etc as good service.

Just idle banter, which of the above you need to watch out for ? ;)

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Sim Lim Square - Good, bad and ugly - READ BEFORE VISITING

Post by thismyvoice » Mon, 17 Apr 2017 10:50 pm

If you must go to SLS to shop, look on the floor. Star retailers have stickers on the floor at their store front. Avoid others like a plague.

Unscrupulous stores cheat in many ways. My personal experience. Negotiated price on computer repair. After they repaired, refuse to honor the agreed price and just kept the change after I paid in cash. Happened a couple of years back.

alexeyy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sim Lim Square - Good, bad and ugly - READ BEFORE VISITING

Post by alexeyy » Tue, 18 Apr 2017 10:10 am

ecureilx wrote: Those unscrupulous, especially the infamous phone shops who sell a 100 $ phone for 300 $.
If someone is eager to pay only $100 for a phone that is $300 in the same building, cannot complain to find it is worth less than $50 :)