Singapore Expats

need some guide on sales..

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
hanleng

need some guide on sales..

Post by hanleng » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:47 pm

i am a sale man.. and i am promoting ADT home/office security system...

however, my sale is bad.... cant make much.. but i know i will not give up

anyone with good experience will like to guide me or teach me??

u can go to www.adt.com.sg to see what i am doing..

thanks for your help. :(

Post by Guest » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 4:24 am

well the website is not so impressive! I guess you have your work cut out!

The image that the company reflect seems pretty poor!

Poorly

Salesmanship

Post by Poorly » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 10:08 am

For a sales person to come in here to seek assistance for better sales would reflect on yourself that you're not cut for the job in the first place.

OR-

You're in here to sell your products by telling ppl your website and luring people to go in and buy from here..

Which is right? :roll:

hanleng

Re: Salesmanship

Post by hanleng » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 3:02 pm

Poorly wrote:For a sales person to come in here to seek assistance for better sales would reflect on yourself that you're not cut for the job in the first place.

OR-

You're in here to sell your products by telling ppl your website and luring people to go in and buy from here..

Which is right? :roll:
err... maybe its the first one.. i still learning.. but not for the second.. one..
pls read the message tat i post.. i'm seeking advice... tat i can improve on.

hanleng

Post by hanleng » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 3:04 pm

Anonymous wrote:well the website is not so impressive! I guess you have your work cut out!

The image that the company reflect seems pretty poor!
ya..tat is the problem.. but i have not control over their web... as i am only their agent..

thanks..alot..

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Feb 2005 7:42 pm

Hanleng,

Really need to know more.

Are you inside, telephone sales, or do you make outside visits to potential customers?

Are your primary customers businesses or residential customers?

Are you selling simple security systems with monthly monitoring or are you selling more complex security solutions?

Are you on salary, salary plus commission, or pure commission?

Do you like being in the security business?

My take:

If you are inside, telephone sales, and you are not getting qualified leads, then pure cold calling is extremely frustrating and not very lucrative. This is truly the bottom rung of the ladder of sales, and turnover is very high. If you enjoy sales, I'd find something with more potential.

Do you have passion about security systems? If you don't, if there is no difference to you between selling security systems or selling ladies panties, then you will not sell successfully. Successful selling is not based upon the product, it is based upon the relationship between the salesman and the customer. If you're not wound up about your product, why should your customer be wound up?

If you are passionate, then it's up to you to develop a target market. For example, it is my opinion that most residences don't care too much about a security system because this is a safe place. Only the rich and famous will place a high need on a security system. How would you reach these people?

Businesses are probably a better opportunity. Do you sell devices or services to prevent shoplifting? Can you convince businesses to increase the security of their parking garages by installing cameras?

Do you follow police crime reports so that you can use them to create doubt as to safety in certain groups of people?

In short, there is nothing so useless as a soluton for which there is no problem. You need to be able to help people understand what their problem is, and then provide the solution to that problem. Do it with passion, integrity, and honesty and you'll build a loyal client base that will recommend you to others.

marriedwithkids

Post by marriedwithkids » Tue, 08 Feb 2005 9:51 am

ADT is basically a good product. Am happy to say I've been a client of ADT for the past 5 years. You just need to know to push the right buttons to sell the benefits to the right clients, and not features.

Study which group of people would make up the bulk of your prospective clients. I suspect it will be small businessmen. For sales, it's a numbers game. The one who works hardest and has the most prospects can do quite decently. Having good sales skills and closing skills will help your ratios.

Would suggest you spend some time and money to invest in books and audio products from sales gurus like Zig Ziglar, Tom Hopkins, and Brian Tracy. They will provide lots of insight and inspiration for you. These products are available from Success Resources near Beach Rd. They can cost a fair bit, so save up for them! Alternatively, borrow their books from national library....I'm sure they will stock some of the better titles. If you're not willing to invest in your own sales education, nobody will......always remember that.

hi...

Post by Guest » Tue, 08 Feb 2005 6:08 pm

marriedwithkids wrote:ADT is basically a good product. Am happy to say I've been a client of ADT for the past 5 years. You just need to know to push the right buttons to sell the benefits to the right clients, and not features.

Study which group of people would make up the bulk of your prospective clients. I suspect it will be small businessmen. For sales, it's a numbers game. The one who works hardest and has the most prospects can do quite decently. Having good sales skills and closing skills will help your ratios.

Would suggest you spend some time and money to invest in books and audio products from sales gurus like Zig Ziglar, Tom Hopkins, and Brian Tracy. They will provide lots of insight and inspiration for you. These products are available from Success Resources near Beach Rd. They can cost a fair bit, so save up for them! Alternatively, borrow their books from national library....I'm sure they will stock some of the better titles. If you're not willing to invest in your own sales education, nobody will......always remember that.
oh thanks... ya i did invest on some book... they are really good.. but have to really apply it..

hmm.. i saw a shop that sell book like tat around golden shoe..

thanks

HapyQ

Post by HapyQ » Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:55 am

hi hanleng
i'm currently operating a cataloging & internet business from home base
and is working out great. if you are interested to explore other opportunities apart from what you are currently doing, you are most welcome to contact me at 97951063. :wink:

hanleng

Post by hanleng » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 7:32 pm

HapyQ wrote:hi hanleng
i'm currently operating a cataloging & internet business from home base
and is working out great. if you are interested to explore other opportunities apart from what you are currently doing, you are most welcome to contact me at 97951063. :wink:
oh.. :o

chubbygal

Re: need some guide on sales..

Post by chubbygal » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 4:01 am

Hi,

Sit down and draft a plan, find ur most ideal target market,purchase leads if u have to..

U can try cold calling(tho some may not agree with me), I know it's horrible to have ppl saying no or slam down the phone on u etc.. but it works once u have the courage and it wil make u thick skin...

Success in sales req one to be extremely thick skinned:p and never be afraid of rejection...

I believe u ve got satisfied clients? Seek their assistance as they can be one of the best introducer,,word of mouth works in this situation..

How abt targeting online customers?Maybe start an advice centre(can be online) to generate leads from there..

or u can try hiring someone to do the dirty work for u, ie if u dislike cold calling, hire a p/t or freelance person to do it for u for a reasonable fee:)

I hope it helps...cheers

chubbygal

Post by chubbygal » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 4:05 am

Hi,

Sit down and draft a plan, find ur most ideal target market,purchase leads if u have to..

U can try cold calling(tho some may not agree with me), I know it's horrible to have ppl saying no or slam down the phone on u etc.. but it works once u have the courage and it wil make u thick skin...

Success in sales req one to be extremely thick skinned:p and never be afraid of rejection...

I believe u ve got satisfied clients? Seek their assistance as they can be one of the best introducer,,word of mouth works in this situation..

How abt targeting online customers?Maybe start an advice centre(can be online) to generate leads from there..

or u can try hiring someone to do the dirty work for u, ie if u dislike cold calling, hire a p/t or freelance person to do it for u for a reasonable fee:)

I hope it helps...cheers

Post by Guest » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 1:27 pm

chubbygal wrote:Hi,

I hope it helps...cheers
Hi, thanks,

you must be a experience sale person.....:)

ya i do more... thanks...

chubbygal

Post by chubbygal » Tue, 01 Mar 2005 2:37 pm

Hi, thanks,

you must be a experience sale person.....:)

ya i do more... thanks...[/quote]

Hey hey,

My pleasure to share here hehe, I hope everyone can do the same,we all can share and learn from each other..

I endured some hardship when I fisrt started in sales,, but believe me if one can overcome shyness in cold calling/doing sales/meeting people, one can certainly be sure of success in what they intend to pursue further, be it self employment or other ventures..

GOOD LUCK

Chubbygal

tingshen

Post by tingshen » Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:08 pm

my understanding of ADT is that, they are quite a good direct selling company. How come they never provide you a proper training systems to follow?

Or is it you who think that the training systems won't work so you simply do not follow?

if you had tried everything instructed by ADT, then probably the last resort is to do door to door knocking. You have no choice. You have to start from somewhere. Otherwise, you have to give up and find a proper job yourself.

Just my opinion, security systems has come to saturation point where even CISCO is targeting at consumer levels, less than $1 a day......CISCO or ADT? I will choose CISCO....