Singapore Expats

When should I apply PR, apply as a family or for myself only?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
davele

When should I apply PR, apply as a family or for myself only?

Post by davele » Fri, 21 Oct 2016 9:37 am

Hi folks,

I'm Vietnamese, male, Software Engineer, 28, six years of experience.
I'm SPass holder since Oct 2013 in one company for three years.
Changing job on 1st Jan 2017 and will be EP with 5500 base salary.

My wife is also Vietnamese, and we have a ten months old son born in Vietnam. My wife is holding dependent pass while my son is not. I'm going to apply for my child's dependent pass after getting EP in the new company.

My questions are:

1) When should I apply for PR?
2) Should I apply as a family or for myself only, which one has higher chances of approval?

Thanks

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: When should I apply PR, apply as a family or for myself only?

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 21 Oct 2016 10:23 am

davele wrote:Hi folks,

I'm Vietnamese, male, Software Engineer, 28, six years of experience.
I'm SPass holder since Oct 2013 in one company for three years.
Changing job on 1st Jan 2017 and will be EP with 5500 base salary.

My wife is also Vietnamese, and we have a ten months old son born in Vietnam. My wife is holding dependent pass while my son is not. I'm going to apply for my child's dependent pass after getting EP in the new company.

My questions are:

1) When should I apply for PR?
2) Should I apply as a family or for myself only, which one has higher chances of approval?

Thanks
1. Try to work on EP for 2 years and then apply
2. Applying as a Family is better.

Based the details that you have provided, at the moment your chances of approval are very low.

davele

Post by davele » Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:32 am

Hi singaporeflyer,

Thank for your reply.

Why do you think after two years my chance is better? Is it because I will have more experience and/or higher income?

Why do apply as Family is better? I want to apply as Family too; it's good news to me.

What should I do in the next two years to increase my chance?

Thanks.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 21 Oct 2016 12:11 pm

davele wrote:Hi singaporeflyer,

Thank for your reply.

Why do you think after two years my chance is better? Is it because I will have more experience and/or higher income?

Why do apply as Family is better? I want to apply as Family too; it's good news to me.

What should I do in the next two years to increase my chance?

Thanks.
1. More Time on E Pass, Salary increase

2. Read the forum. SG wants people who want to eventually settle down here as a family and contribute.

3. Try to improve your career and your income.

davele

Post by davele » Fri, 21 Oct 2016 2:29 pm

How much do you think I should make after 2 years? I think the more, the better, but what is the minimum salary?

Base on payscale data, with 8 years of experience I suppose to make around 80K per annum to reach the senior software engineer's national average income.
http://www.payscale.com/research/SG/Job ... eer/Salary

Thanks.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 21 Oct 2016 2:59 pm

davele wrote:How much do you think I should make after 2 years? I think the more, the better, but what is the minimum salary?

Base on payscale data, with 8 years of experience I suppose to make around 80K per annum to reach the senior software engineer's national average income.
http://www.payscale.com/research/SG/Job ... eer/Salary

Thanks.
I really wouldn't worry about the salary , we have seen folk rejected with 250k/300k salary, as their history didnt look like they were likely long term residents.

Its the soft skills that seem important , as well as ethnicity , any chance you can become Malaysian Chinese in the next 2 years? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just kidding. :-"

Whenever you apply just make the application look like you are trying to make a life in Singapore and not just here to make your money and leave.

Ultimately its the judgement of the officer dealing with your case , if the wind is in the right direction you are in , if its not you are out.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

davele

Post by davele » Fri, 21 Oct 2016 3:25 pm

Barnsley wrote: I really wouldn't worry about the salary , we have seen folk rejected with 250k/300k salary, as their history didnt look like they were likely long term residents.
Yes, I aware of it, I have been reading the forum for some time already. Do you think there is a least required salary?

For example X years of experience in that field should make minimum Y SGD.
Barnsley wrote: Its the soft skills that seem important , as well as ethnicity , any chance you can become Malaysian Chinese in the next 2 years? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just kidding. :-"
hahaha, good idea =D>
Barnsley wrote: Whenever you apply just make the application look like you are trying to make a life in Singapore and not just here to make your money and leave.
I have been sending money back to VN for the last three years to help my parents. I'm typical Vietnamese or Asians who support their parents to the last penny :D.

I guess it hurts my profile.