Singapore Expats

How to manage timings of move

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Ellmeg

How to manage timings of move

Post by Ellmeg » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 9:14 pm

Hi all!

We are considering a move next summer and I am trying to get my mind around a few things:

1) How long in advance can we look for housing? Our preference will be a relatively central condo, for example around Newton MRT. I am not clear how far in advance property is available during the summer months (ideally as of August 1st)

2) Is there any chance to avoid temporary housing? Or do we need to actually be in Singapore and with our permits to rent housing?

3) Can we rent furniture until ours would come?

4)How long has your air freight and sea container taken from Switzerland?

I would like to avoid temporary housing if possible so that the family settles directly in the final accommodation but am not sure this is feasible - thanks for your input

Ellmeg

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: How to manage timings of move

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:38 pm

1. property is always available. Always. Don't let anyone panic you into thinking otherwise. It is feasible to show up; view a few in a day; sign a contract and get keys by the same day if you really push. In reality three days is fine.

2. Use a hotel.

3. Yes. Alternatively rent a furnished or partially furnished house? Why bring furniture from Switzerland? Just bring some personal and critical items?

4. Air? One week inc clearance. Sea... not sure? 6 weeks?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Ellmeg

Post by Ellmeg » Thu, 13 Oct 2016 5:22 am

Thanks PNGMK!

We have 2 children who will be 6 and almost 9 and we have a few "must haves" for housing hence I would feel better if we could secure it in advance. Would it be realistic to do house hunting 3-4 ahead or are properties only advertised when empty?

We don't want to rent furnished as often it is more expensive so was thinking of just renting the furniture until ours come.

Company would pay for relocation of goods hence we would prefer to take it all with us.

Thanks for any helpful advice
Ellmeg

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 13 Oct 2016 8:39 am

You can conceivably look at tenanted properties that are coming up vacant but frankly I think you'll find more than enough vacant ones in that area to look at.

Ok - yes there are furniture rental companies. Do some googling. I have friends who have used them but I don't know the names. One thing about bringing your own furniture is that at least it won't be junk unlike what you might be offered in a furnished apt.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 13 Oct 2016 10:57 am

Ellmeg wrote:Hi all!

We are considering a move next summer and I am trying to get my mind around a few things:

1) How long in advance can we look for housing? Our preference will be a relatively central condo, for example around Newton MRT. I am not clear how far in advance property is available during the summer months (ideally as of August 1st)

2) Is there any chance to avoid temporary housing? Or do we need to actually be in Singapore and with our permits to rent housing?

3) Can we rent furniture until ours would come?

4)How long has your air freight and sea container taken from Switzerland?

I would like to avoid temporary housing if possible so that the family settles directly in the final accommodation but am not sure this is feasible - thanks for your input

Ellmeg
I am assuming that you have a job offer already, I am not sure but I think you cannot sign a rental lease , or at least someone cannot rent to you without a valid residency permit.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Thu, 13 Oct 2016 12:25 pm

PNGMK wrote:1. property is always available. Always. Don't let anyone panic you into thinking otherwise. It is feasible to show up; view a few in a day; sign a contract and get keys by the same day if you really push. In reality three days is fine.

2. Use a hotel.
When I came here, I negotiated for 2 months (instead of typical 1 month) temporary housing. This gave me plenty of time to get adjusted to a new place/country without having deadline coming up fast (e.g. open a bank account, pick up my EP, figure out local transportation options, chance to look at few areas near MRT stations, chance to figure out where to look for housing information, etc).

This gave me time and option to look at few areas and places and consider what's best for me at my budget. It also gave me time to learn that most real estate agents are useless and self-serving. Also, compared to back home, there is very high pressure from showing agent to close the deal fast (and their clear lack of interest once they figured out they can't make you sign on the spot).

It's at least a year commitment with decent chunk of change invested in deposit. Especially with kids, you want to make sure you find the right place and location and that all takes time.

Ellmeg

Post by Ellmeg » Thu, 13 Oct 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks all for advice.

My wish would be to avoid temporary accommodation so that the kids don't need to go through 2 changes but from what I read here, that may not be possible.

I would prefer to avoid house hunting as soon as we arrive as the change will be stressful enough and to do that with the children there would be too much.

Our work contract will start Sept 1 and I will have 1 month of holiday before. So effectively my permit would also start Sept 1 and from what I read, without it one cannot rent.

I will investigate with my company whether they would be willing to sign the lease for me - that may make things easier.

Thanks for tip on furniture rental and the rest :)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 13 Oct 2016 3:23 pm

You could look for properties that are vacant without a work pass in hand; if you find one you like then sign an LOI to hold the apartment and then execute the lease when you have your pass in hand. There is a bit of risk here on both ends and I would not pay a significant deposit to hold the apartment but unfortunately it may be expected.