Singapore Expats Forum

PR for foreign spouse? I'm an SC.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mywifeiskorean

PR for foreign spouse? I'm an SC.

Postby mywifeiskorean » Mon, 10 Oct 2016 12:44 am

Hi folks,

I'm a typical Singaporean citizen while my fiancee is a Korean, living and working in Korea at the moment. We intend to get a hdb flat and live happily ever after here in SG :D .

After our marriage, is there an advisable time frame to apply for PR? With the HDB application in mind, i would like to get her to apply for PR asap, though is it worth waiting to do so only after she's secured a job, or after staying here for a while etc? And the obvious question with the not so obvious answer.. how long do you guys think it will take?

I'm a local grad and have been working for a few years with my salary > S$5000.
She's a grad from a Korean uni, working as a cabin attendant.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: PR for foreign spouse? I'm an SC.

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 10 Oct 2016 11:06 am

mywifeiskorean wrote:Hi folks,

I'm a typical Singaporean citizen while my fiancee is a Korean, living and working in Korea at the moment. We intend to get a hdb flat and live happily ever after here in SG :D .

After our marriage, is there an advisable time frame to apply for PR? With the HDB application in mind, i would like to get her to apply for PR asap, though is it worth waiting to do so only after she's secured a job, or after staying here for a while etc? And the obvious question with the not so obvious answer.. how long do you guys think it will take?

As of now, LTVP will be sooner to get.

PR will be favorable after 3 years, but that shouldn't stop you from applying after a year.

With the current changes, with LTVP, you can seek advice from HDB, after marriage.

How long will LTVP take ? 4 to 6 weeks.

How long with PR take ? 6 months to 18 months.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: PR for foreign spouse? I'm an SC.

Postby taxico » Mon, 10 Oct 2016 3:58 pm

mywifeiskorean wrote:I'm a typical Singaporean citizen while my fiancee is a Korean, living and working in Korea at the moment. We intend to get a hdb flat and live happily ever after here in SG :D

she does not need to be PR for the two of you to buy a resale flat.

after you two are married, you two are eligible to buy one if she has LTVP/work pass (min validity of 6 months during application if younger than 35 - as for completion, so long as she has a valid LTVP/work pass it will be accepted, no minimum validity needed).

are you sure she will be happy living in a flat? has she lived in housing estate in sg/kr before? if she's used to living in a >65 pyung samseong/daechi-dong type apartment... she might be in for a bit of a shock.

also, if your fiancee has worked really, really hard to get her FA job... and she plans to fly with an SG carrier, you may want to adjust her expectations and friendliness accordingly.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR for foreign spouse? I'm an SC.

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 10 Oct 2016 5:24 pm

taxico wrote:also, if your fiancee has worked really, really hard to get her FA job... and she plans to fly with an SG carrier, you may want to adjust her expectations and friendliness accordingly.

She could always go for KA, EVA or one of the many "Korean" call centers :).

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:29 pm

:o
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

mywifeiskorean

Postby mywifeiskorean » Tue, 11 Oct 2016 2:28 am

thanks for the feedback! yup i'm aware of the resale flats eligibility, just that I'm more keen on BTO which unfortunately we won't qualify for without the PR. if 6 to 18 months is the norm then.. oh well..

>65 pyung sounds like a huge ass kampong. luckily she's well adapted to our awesome HDB size by now, so no prob with that. on-job friendliness? haha i'll send the msg across. the job search will be another headache no doubt

kimls

Postby kimls » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 2:00 pm

mywifeiskorean wrote:thanks for the feedback! yup i'm aware of the resale flats eligibility, just that I'm more keen on BTO which unfortunately we won't qualify for without the PR. if 6 to 18 months is the norm then.. oh well..

>65 pyung sounds like a huge ass kampong. luckily she's well adapted to our awesome HDB size by now, so no prob with that. on-job friendliness? haha i'll send the msg across. the job search will be another headache no doubt

Hello! May i ask if you registered your marriage in Korea? As I am also preparing for PR application for my Korean spouse (We registered in Korea). And having difficulty finding the MARRIAGE CERT NUMBER on our korean wedding cert. Any idea?