why no vans/pick-ups

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

why no vans/pick-ups

Post by 35698 » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 2:41 pm

They tell me that expats are not allowed to buy vans or pick-up trucks in sg. Could that be true? What would be the possible rationale?
I've also heard that taxi cabs are not allowed to have automatic transmissions, nor the vans or pick-ups that companies are able to buy. Why would this be the only country in the world, Mars and Jupitor that would have such laws?[/b]

CarLover

Re: why no vans/pick-ups

Post by CarLover » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 7:49 pm

35698 wrote:They tell me that expats are not allowed to buy vans or pick-up trucks in sg. Could that be true? What would be the possible rationale?
I've also heard that taxi cabs are not allowed to have automatic transmissions, nor the vans or pick-ups that companies are able to buy. Why would this be the only country in the world, Mars and Jupitor that would have such laws?[/b]
It's not that expats are not allowed vans/pick-ups, etc (in general commercial vehicles), it's that individuals are not allowed them. Only a registered business/other types of organisations like charities, etc are allowed to. There are various categories of commercial vehicles, and these are differentiated by the licence plates they bear (G Y PA, etc).

As for cabs, vans, etc not being allowed to have automatic transmissions, this is not true. Most fleet owners choose not to buy autos because of the perceived maintenace costs involved. If you need proof, flag down a mercedes cab (new generation) or look at european brands for vans to see that autos do exist...

Hope this answers your question :)

vans

Post by 35698 » Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:00 am

That still doesn't explain why any individual cannot buy a van or pick up. What would it hurt the govn't if people have them?

Sonus
Regular
Regular

Re: vans

Post by Sonus » Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:19 pm

35698 wrote:That still doesn't explain why any individual cannot buy a van or pick up. What would it hurt the govn't if people have them?
I just put it direct. It is because Singapore land is scarce. As the vans and pickups are much cheaper than normal sedans, GOV do not want residents start to buy commercial vehicles for their own use. This will result extreme traffic jams and air pollutions.