Singapore Expats

Job hunting process different in Singapore???

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
jay83091

Job hunting process different in Singapore???

Post by jay83091 » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 10:23 am

Hi All,

I am planning to relocate to Singapore in coming weeks from Australia.

I've been actively applying for jobs through company websites (mostly big banks) and Linkedin. I am wondering if the job hunting process or hiring process differs in Singapore or takes longer?

I get calls within 48 hours in Australia for most of the jobs I apply. Not sure if this is the case in Singapore.

Do I need to do things very differently when applying for jobs in Singapore? Do I need to be there physically even for the companies to consider?

Thanks for your help in advance.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Job hunting process different in Singapore???

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 12:24 pm

jay83091 wrote:Hi All,

I am planning to relocate to Singapore in coming weeks from Australia.

I've been actively applying for jobs through company websites (mostly big banks) and Linkedin. I am wondering if the job hunting process or hiring process differs in Singapore or takes longer?
Long, very long.

Unless you are of niche skills that's in very high demand.

Add the 2 weeks cooling off period if your job needs to be in the jobs bank.

And internal processes in most companies take time.

Add to it, some jobs evoke like 1,000 applicants.
jay83091 wrote: I get calls within 48 hours in Australia for most of the jobs I apply. Not sure if this is the case in Singapore.
Oh, you will be disappointed. Very.

Most jobs here have a disclaimer - only short listed candidates will be notified.

What's your trade / skill / experience?

jay83091

Re: Job hunting process different in Singapore???

Post by jay83091 » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 2:20 pm

Oh wow..!!!

Senior manager level in analytics currently with 11 years of experience. I was a consultant in one of the big 4s previously as well.

Should I avoid financial sectors? Not sure about Singapore but in Australia, you can't really work in financial sectors unless your have permanent residency or citizenship.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 11:45 am

The hiring process in Singapore takes a huge amount of time, many rounds of interviews, security clearing and then the Employment pass process adds to that.

For the 3 jobs I have landed in Singapore I have averaged around 7 interviews, and all have taken many months from the first round until starting. 6 months from applying to starting would not be unheard of across the banks even in areas that are in demand.

As to Finance, there are so many redundancies that you would have to show why you have experience over people already here. When I came it was easy but now it is very difficult - it will swing back when world economies pick up but that is not looking like happening soon.

jay83091

Post by jay83091 » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 8:16 pm

Oh wow... 7 interviews.. This is going to be a lot tougher than I originally anticipated.

Do you guys think I will have a better chance of securing an interview if I move there say at least temporarily for 6 months? Would it help to have Singaporean address and phone number?

I get the feeling that my application is getting rejected even before they look at my CV - just because I am applying from overseas.

daveco23

Post by daveco23 » Fri, 07 Oct 2016 10:42 am

Look at Google / Linkedin / Facebook careers pages - Analytics addicts with very multicultural workforces. They don't use 3rd Party recruiters, the bulk of which in SG are a complete waste of time.

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Fri, 07 Oct 2016 5:41 pm

jay83091 wrote:Oh wow... 7 interviews.. This is going to be a lot tougher than I originally anticipated.

Do you guys think I will have a better chance of securing an interview if I move there say at least temporarily for 6 months? Would it help to have Singaporean address and phone number?

I get the feeling that my application is getting rejected even before they look at my CV - just because I am applying from overseas.
Yes, it will help. Note that depending on your passport it will be hard to stay that long, and expensive...

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 11 Oct 2016 5:00 pm

My experience is you have to be located in Singapore and have a Singapore address on your CV. We don't bother with anyone who is not in Singapore.

This is likely why you haven't been getting much of a response. My personal experience is it's typically 2 months from initial contact to completing all of the necessary interviews. Although I try to move things along a bit quicker. After that it's typically 3 months before all of the checks and offers and such are finalized. Although my organization has been known to be slower and worse then this.