Singapore Expats

Chances of citizenship approval

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
NorthIndian

Chances of citizenship approval

Post by NorthIndian » Thu, 29 Sep 2016 5:06 pm

I am 38 yrs old Indian male , 10 yrs - SPR along with my wife and staying with family in Singapore since last 11 yrs. Me and my wife both are working. I have 2 kids and they are also SPR. I have never done any work at grassroot level or done anything for community work apart from paying Income tax, donate to Cancer Society.

What are chances of my Citizenship will get approved?

Kindly suggest.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Chances of citizenship approval

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 29 Sep 2016 6:25 pm

NorthIndian wrote:I am 38 yrs old Indian male , 10 yrs - SPR along with my wife and staying with family in Singapore since last 11 yrs. Me and my wife both are working. I have 2 kids and they are also SPR. I have never done any work at grassroot level or done anything for community work apart from paying Income tax, donate to Cancer Society.

What are chances of my Citizenship will get approved?

Kindly suggest.
Even if you were active in CC and such, that won't make a difference.

NorthIndian

Re: Chances of citizenship approval

Post by NorthIndian » Thu, 29 Sep 2016 6:59 pm

what are chances ?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 29 Sep 2016 7:33 pm

this thread is begging for a picture of the malaysian coconut bomoh...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Sep 2016 9:13 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

NorthIndian

Post by NorthIndian » Thu, 19 Oct 2017 7:10 am

IT is more than 9 months now, no reply from ICA, do you guys think my chances are slim?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Oct 2017 8:52 am

Probably the odds are better, but whether that means successful or not is another story. Before odds maybe only 30%, now maybe 50%, but no guarantees. Have seen it go well over 12 months and be approved and also seen them being rejected. There is just no telling. It's rough as you cannot really wriggle too much and at the same time maybe preventing you from using Plan B (assuming you have one). Only thing I can say is hold your breath and hang on for the ride.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Oct 2017 5:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Probably the odds are better, but whether that means successful or not is another story. Before odds maybe only 30%, now maybe 50%, but no guarantees. Have seen it go well over 12 months and be approved and also seen them being rejected. There is just no telling. It's rough as you cannot really wriggle too much and at the same time maybe preventing you from using Plan B (assuming you have one). Only thing I can say is hold your breath and hang on for the ride.
18 months for rejection, I have seen :D :D

PS, what's with the ID NorthIndian ?

NorthIndian

Post by NorthIndian » Fri, 20 Oct 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks guys.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 20 Oct 2017 6:23 pm

NorthIndian wrote:Thanks guys.
So...???

What's with your ID? :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Oct 2017 8:43 pm

Probably a closet racist, hence the not so subtle nick, thinking he's better than the Southern/other Indians.

NorthIndian

Post by NorthIndian » Tue, 14 Aug 2018 10:41 am

Hi All, Thanks for previous replies - I am not racist.. just put that as my nick name... nothing intentional.

I submitted documents in Jun-2017, still haven't got any reply from ICA. What are my chances of approval? Waiting eagerly for reply.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 14 Aug 2018 11:24 am

NorthIndian wrote:Hi All, Thanks for previous replies - I am not racist.. just put that as my nick name... nothing intentional.

I submitted documents in Jun-2017, still haven't got any reply from ICA. What are my chances of approval? Waiting eagerly for reply.
Nobody here has a pipeline into the ICA and can only speculate based upon prior history and experience.

In your favor: One full year and you have not been summarily rejected. No skeletons in the closet to send you a rejection letter.

In your favor: 10 years and family is all SPR. Extra bonus points if you have sons.

Against you success: Your race, northern or otherwise. Up until about 2010, Indians comprised about 7 percent of total population, citizen and PR. Starting in about 2010, there was an "explosion" of Indians in Singapore, such that the percentage rose to more than 9 percent, and that figure has held pretty steady since then.

Not that the gahmen would be racist or anything like that, and during that same period of time, there was about a 2 percent decrease in the Chinese population. There is no way that the Indian population will be allowed to increase any more than it is today, and thus, new citizens of Indian extraction will only be approved if there has been attrition in the Indian population as a whole.

What are you chances of approval? It is only my SWAG, and I'd say around 40 percent. Of course, there are many, many other factors that you have not mentioned that can also affect the outcome... level of education, times back to India and duration, number of jobs, number of times parents have been over to visit... just a few things to think about.

NorthIndian

Post by NorthIndian » Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:39 pm

Hi Strong Eagle, Thanks for quick reply. You have summarized all points very well.

My both kids have born here and go to local schools. Both are SPR and I have son too.

Given that it is more than a year , I am becoming little impatient. It will be difficult for me to digest rejection as I have lived many years here , bought a property and have plan to settle down in this country forever.

I have seen preferred races are getting approvals quite quickly. If Indian population will stay constant , wouldn't it be a good idea that ICA should accept applications of only qualified Indians if ther is a quota instead of keeping long wait period?

Shall I call ICA and check status? Will that be a good idea?

Thanks

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 14 Aug 2018 7:18 pm

You can check you status all you want... it will make zero difference to the outcome... and probably just piss off the ICA agent who will take your call and answer with the standard, "your application is being processed." What else do you expect to hear? What good do you think calling will do?

I have to tell you that the Singapore authorities absolutely don't give a shit if you become impatient, and they don't care if you think the process is unfair. If you really get bent out of shape about the whole situation, no matter, there are hundreds of thousands of your countrymen waiting to take your place.

I have absolutely no evidence, and, I judge that these excessively long waiting periods are a purposeful way of limiting the number of citizenships (and PR's) granted. In the end, it's all a numbers game. The gahmen already knows how many new Indian citizens it is going to permit in 2018. If that number were to be 1000, and 10,000 Indians apply, you can see that you have one chance in ten of being approved. Maybe the delay is good news... they've filled their Indian quota for this year and are carrying you into next... it is just not possible to know.

Stop being impatient, stop being huffy and righteous... it is what it is, and your application will crank through the bureaucratic machinery at a rate, and with a process, that cannot be influenced by you.