Singapore Expats

Living together ...

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Post Reply

Living together ...

Post by GuestII » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 8:09 pm

A friend was telling me a few years ago it wasn't easy to live to gether wirh you unmarried grilfriend. (common in Europe).

Is it still so. We are an unmarried couple, coming to Sing in June. Both expats with EP Pass.

Is there any paperwork to do?
Thankx for feedback.


Post by ok » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 8:24 pm

If you both have an EP then there should not be any issue. The problems come up when someone coming over on an EP wants to get a dependent pass for a person they are not legally married to.

Posts: 7
Joined: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 9:37 pm

Post by kisumisu » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 9:04 pm

Re: Ok's reply. Even then, it's not a problem if the dependent's not legally married. I know of a German couple who managed to the wife/gf into SG on a similar basis. :)

Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:22 pm

Post by lhanson » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 1:13 am

And the girlfriend was able to get a dependant pass even tho they were not married? Basically I am in that sitch. I am moving there in with my boyfrined who has been living and working in Sing. I am going to be looking for a job however trying to explore as many options as I can on how I can get an EP with the boyfriend/relationship aspect or dep. pass, etc. suggestions? from your german couple friends?


Post by spouse » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 9:22 am

should be no major problems ..the government stick to "spouse" based on common law, means that girlfriend in some point equals to wife.

Ask your boyfriend to sponsor you as a dependent, but he needs document from his current company. You can only have longterm stay but not EP, refer to EP section for the requirement.

expat girlfriend

Post by expat girlfriend » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 1:35 pm

I managed to get a social visa pass with a special paper from our ambassy. In this paper they wrote that it is common in europe to live together and not to be married. With this letter is was no problem to get the social visa pass. Good luck.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests