Singapore Expats

Living, dating, and tele-working from SG on a tourist visa

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Living, dating, and tele-working from SG on a tourist visa

Post by GSM8 » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 10:40 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I'm surprised that OP hasn't realized that thousands of people who get off the plane each day have that same fabulous thought of checking into Singapore for 90 days and then doing the visa run to Malaysia or Indonesia.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it - as a wise man named Orwell once said :D
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Btw nice job there hooking up with a local girl, the reason that could have happened was because the local guys here mostly suck.
Gross generalization and stereotyping. [-X

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: RE: Re: Living, dating, and tele-working from SG on a tourist visa

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 10:50 am

ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: Btw nice job there hooking up with a local girl, the reason that could have happened was because the local guys here mostly suck.
Attack of the SPG ? Image
You are too late, I just didn't try to say it that early on, but figured most regulars here would know what I meant.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I didn't think there were any of them left here? She must have hired the services of the Malaysian Coconut Bomoh man. Put a spell on him.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:08 pm

GSM8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I'm surprised that OP hasn't realized that thousands of people who get off the plane each day have that same fabulous thought of checking into Singapore for 90 days and then doing the visa run to Malaysia or Indonesia.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it - as a wise man named Orwell once said :D
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Btw nice job there hooking up with a local girl, the reason that could have happened was because the local guys here mostly suck.
Gross generalization and stereotyping. [-X
thank you for overlooking the word "mostly" :mrgreen:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Living, dating, and tele-working from SG on a tourist visa

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: Btw nice job there hooking up with a local girl, the reason that could have happened was because the local guys here mostly suck.
Attack of the SPG ? Image
You are too late, I just didn't try to say it that early on, but figured most regulars here would know what I meant.
I got it, hence my wondering if it could have been in the satay sauce Image

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:25 pm

OP - you're going to need a better plan than doing visa runs.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 1:05 pm

Yeah, I don't see it too, including the alleged consensus on the taxes. I think most people simply don't think what actually the taxes are for. If one stays in a country long enough and uses the country's infrastructure and services to derive his income, surely he should pay taxes.

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 3:05 pm

Yep. If you stay more than 183 days a year in SIN you are a tax resident. But filing taxes without a residence permit is a problem... The simple way for Singapore to square the circle is to make sure you don't spend more than 183 days a year in SIN.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 4:15 pm

There is another possibility to get a pass by doing a course and getting a study visa - although I am not sure if they are available for part time courses and I imagine it would be too hard (and expensive) to enroll in full time study while working.

PSB Academy have some good courses at very reasonable rates http://www.psb-academy.edu.sg

I know people are in similar circumstances, who have done the multiple visa runs and been blocked. One poor guy had to leave his girlfriend working in Singapore while he was "forced" to spend 6 weeks in Thailand.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 4:37 pm

okonu wrote:Yep. If you stay more than 183 days a year in SIN you are a tax resident. But filing taxes without a residence permit is a problem... The simple way for Singapore to square the circle is to make sure you don't spend more than 183 days a year in SIN.
That is not entirely true. Most foreigners who own condo's or other properties here have to file and pay income taxes every year on their rental income even though they have no residency here at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 5:04 pm

https://medium.com/@christinamikhail/da ... .p8ao4vw5b

digressing from our conversation a little bit... nonetheless.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Living, dating, and tele-working from SG on a tourist visa

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 5:33 pm

The Ref wrote:There is another possibility to get a pass by doing a course and getting a study visa - although I am not sure if they are available for part time courses and I imagine it would be too hard (and expensive) to enroll in full time study while working.

PSB Academy have some good courses at very reasonable rates http://www.psb-academy.edu.sg

I know people are in similar circumstances, who have done the multiple visa runs and been blocked. One poor guy had to leave his girlfriend working in Singapore while he was "forced" to spend 6 weeks in Thailand.
No student passes for part time courses.

Heck, people used to work in KTV and such while in full time courses ... Image

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 6:49 pm

Op could do a full time course though

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 11:31 pm

OP is sulking thinking we're full of shit. OP we've seen it all before. Asia is full of clowns like you; every backpacker district has a bunch of idiots trying to work out how to stay with their gf and not have a legitimate visa/work permit. Pick up your dummy from the ground and put it back in your mouth.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

NZinSG
Regular
Regular

Post by NZinSG » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 9:01 am

@PNGMK, I don't blame him, if he 'never' feels this way he is probably very excited and thinking emotionally.

Hopefully their relationship can last the many months of long distance they are in for, trust me, if you aren't dedicated it will kill and ruin your relationship.

DC_672491

Post by DC_672491 » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 2:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are teleworking you are not contributing anything at all to Singapore. Do you think spending money here is contributing to Singapore? If you do, you are sadly mistaken.

Contributing to Singapore is paying large amounts of corporat taxes or setting up companies that employ Singaporeans. What you are doing is only contributing to some private citizens wealth, not the country's or contributing to your own wealth. In fact you are trying NOT to contribute by teleworking.
Fair point. To clarify, I wasn’t trying to skirt taxes (as a US Citizen, I’d have to pay far more taxes to the USG than I’d pay to Singapore, so it’s 6 of one, half a dozen of the other AFAIC). I was more trying to avoid the headache of navigating WP paperwork, but sounds like that’s unavoidable and needs to be tackled sooner rather than later.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The little red dot is a small place. Unless you earn your right to be here they know it only takes 3 to 5 days max to "visit" Singapore. Anything else should be on a residency visa of one form or another. Be it Employment, LTVP due to marriage, Student Visa, etc. But On a Social Visit Pass and hopping in and out of the country will only get you banned in the long term.
Great to know. Thank you!
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Op could do a full time course though
Good idea and worth considering. Would be a PITA while working full time, but could be worth it if it’s the best option.
taxico wrote:i have a friend (SC) who met a south korean woman on the train, back before uber, war on diabetes, when there were no national terrorism plans...

and they had a whirlwind romance. married in like months? still together. even more fashionable and fartsy now.

so... it CAN happen. but for a singaporean woman... it's gonna be a rare one, that. hope it works out.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Although I’m sure my post makes me sound like some stupid 19 year old, we’re both in our 30s, so this isn’t our first rodeo and have enough experience to know this isn’t just puppy love (not that I have anything against puppy love ;) )
PNGMK wrote:OP is sulking thinking we're full of shit. OP we've seen it all before. Asia is full of clowns like you; every backpacker district has a bunch of idiots trying to work out how to stay with their gf and not have a legitimate visa/work permit. Pick up your dummy from the ground and put it back in your mouth.
Classy. Nice to meet you too. Honestly, if you don’t have anything productive to contribute, I’m not sure why you’re wasting time venting misdirected anger towards someone on a forum.