Singapore Expats

Living, dating, and tele-working from SG on a tourist visa

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
DC_672491

Re: Living, dating, and tele-working from SG on a tourist visa

Post by DC_672491 » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 3:14 pm

One question: I read this post about a Korean dude who came and went 8 times in a year to visit his GF and never had problems with ICA... I'll likely be following a similar travel pattern to his (I have frequent work trips to the US and inter-Asia).

The post is from 2012, so could anyone weigh in on whether the "visitation pass climate" has changed much since then? As long as I don't stay 183+ days and follow similar travel patterns (fly out for 2-6 weeks, then stay in SG no longer than 3-6 consecutive weeks), should I expect a similar experience that our Korean friend encountered?

Just curious if there's been a dramatic change since 2012. Thanks again for all the input!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Living, dating, and tele-working from SG on a tourist visa

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 3:38 pm

DC_672491 wrote: Just curious if there's been a dramatic change since 2012. Thanks again for all the input!
Unlike before, it's becoming common to see "good" passport holders being refused entry.

And, unlike before, ICA now is taking a stricter approach about visa runs.

Just a month ago, I personally know a guy from a good country with arrival visa was returned home, no reason given as usual.

Your luck may hold, or not.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 3:43 pm

DC_672491 wrote:One question: I read this post about a Korean dude who came and went 8 times in a year to visit his GF and never had problems with ICA... I'll likely be following a similar travel pattern to his (I have frequent work trips to the US and inter-Asia).

The post is from 2012, so could anyone weigh in on whether the "visitation pass climate" has changed much since then? As long as I don't stay 183+ days and follow similar travel patterns (fly out for 2-6 weeks, then stay in SG no longer than 3-6 consecutive weeks), should I expect a similar experience that our Korean friend encountered?

Just curious if there's been a dramatic change since 2012. Thanks again for all the input!
I know one of your bretheren around your age who was down to his last time visit before he got turned back.

Luckily he managed to get an EP , and then ultimately he got married so now no issues, but the Govt is constantly under pressure to be seen to be doing things , providing its to foreigners and not anything that involves the locals.

Booting you out would have some locals cheering , until the ICA kick their KTV/Mail order bride out as well, then they cry foul!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 4:16 pm

There are a lot of us US citizens here and yes we all have to pay US taxes. Some a lot more than others. Depending on where you fall with the 104K earned income exclusion (a lot more detail could be gone into here but this is neither the time nor place) there are also ample threads on that here as well if you use the site's search function.

You still think that you can apply for a Work Permit? Have you read the requirement and tracking of Entrepass yet? I would suggest you start there as it's the only way you are going to apply for your own permit in the short term. In the long term you might not need one if the ICA are feeling generous and an allow you to have a LTVP. (After you are married).
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Although I’m sure my post makes me sound like some stupid 19 year old, we’re both in our 30s, so this isn’t our first rodeo and have enough experience to know this isn’t just puppy love (not that I have anything against puppy love ;) )
I've seen bigger puppies than you who have been bowled over by a winsome Asian girl and it doesn't matter how many times you've been around the block. I was twice divorced BEFORE coming here and I ended up married a 3rd time with a year. Last Saturday we celebrated our 33 anniversary. Statistically, it makes us extremely rare birds as the statistics show that East-West marriages only last 2 years give or take a year and rarely ever reach the 7 year itch phase. But I'm proof that it CAN last but statistically the odds are against it. Oh, I wasn't a spring chicken either. I was 36 when I got married over here.

There are a lot of us here that have a lot of experience in a lot of things. We aren't trying to give you a hard time, but we are trying to make you see the pitfalls and potential traps as we've just about seen them all or even tried a lot of them. That's what we do here. Giving people the benefit of having been there and done that or something similar. Most of us are straight shooters and are pretty blunt as that way there is little misunderstanding. When one tried to massage the message to make it PC it is often misinterpreted. Anyway, good luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:17 pm

OP; solve the residency / work permit problem first and then the rest falls into place. You have had a couple of avenues suggested. There is no real short cut such as visa runs for a year; it's not the 90's now.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:22 pm

^^Innit the truth!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 28 Sep 2016 12:54 am

DC_672491 wrote:One question: I read this post about a Korean dude who came and went 8 times in a year to visit his GF and never had problems with ICA... I'll likely be following a similar travel pattern to his (I have frequent work trips to the US and inter-Asia).

air tickets to/fro korea and japan are now much (much) cheaper. that chap may also have been very lucky.

i know many koreans (through my korean spouse) who travelled in the same manner (pre and post 2012.. until 2014'ish) and then been booted out or warned its their "last visit".

some came for love, others were desperate for work. my advice to them (always) was get any job they can first, then keep looking (and/or loving).

same thing most of the members here are trying to tell you.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

1stworldview16

Re:Do mail order bride really exist?

Post by 1stworldview16 » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 8:41 am

The answer is Yes, and No, it really depends on your definition of mail order brides.

The historical roots of the mail-order bride industry that emerged in the 1800s in the American frontier: European American men found financial success in the migration West, but the one thing that was missing was the company of a wife. Very few women lived there at this time, so it was hard for these men to settle down and start a family. They attempted to attract women living back East; the men wrote letters to churches and published personal advertisements in magazines and newspapers. In return, the women would write to the men and send them photographs of themselves. Courtship was conducted by letter, until a woman agreed to marry a man she had never met.[9] Many women wanted to escape their present way of living, gain financial security and see what life on the frontier could offer them. Most of these women were single, but some were widows, divorcees or runaways.
During most of the 20 century, the mail order bride continued with the main method of women putting themselves in catalogs. Then men would view the women's profile, then for a fee order the women address. These became the main order bride companies business method in the 20 the century, with the fall of the Soviet union and cheap airfares, these companies spread from Asian to Eastern Europe, mainly now the Ukraine
Today most women do not leave their countries to escape poverty but to seek a man they believe will be a good husband and provider, that is family orientated and that looks at women with more respect than in many countries around the world.
With the advent of the intent, the mail order bride industry boomed into a billion dollar industry, Now with a few pictures and website, anyone could be in the mail order bride business. With hundreds of ma and pop shops opening over the last two decade, Most who were clients of one of the three original mail order bride companies, A Foreign Affair (AFA), Anastasia and EC, The owner of ForeignLadies.com met his wife while working on a tour from loveme.com, A Foreign affair still today in the largest in the industry, each week they offer tours to one of a dozen countries China to Peru and everywhere in between. The industry grew so fast in 1998, Senator Cantwell of Washington state introduces legislation to regulate the mail order bride industry. and a new law Called: "International Marriage Brokers Act" or IMBRA was born. With stiff regulations, many companies like Anastasia moved from Bride business to Fantasy Chat.
Although the industry strongly objects to the term mail order brides, saying there is no difference if man in New York courting a woman from California through match.com, then courting a woman from Russia. Critics like the Terra Justice Center has a different out look, saying these men take advantage of women oversea. But studies have contradicted these statement and show abuse is actually lower in these marriages. See "International Marriages - A Report to Congress"
So why do thousands of women join these site: Elena Kosalova of the Ukraine says, "Men here are not serious about family, they expect women to stay home while they go out each night with their friends and drink. I want a man who s serious, mature and who wants to be with his wife and family. I have met Americans in the past and they seem more reliable and mature." Elena rejects the idea she is a "Mail Order Bride"
Why do men seek a mail order bride: James Goodwin, 43 of South Carolina says, " I meet women here all the time, but I just can not find the values I am looking for.. I have dated here for more than 20 years, After three days in Kiev, I was shock at how many beautiful women I met that I would consider marrying, now I am just trying to reduce my options and pick the right one. It truly is the fastest way to find a beautiful sincere women.
So what is the cost, the cost can range greatly from site to site and from type of service, AFA or loveme.com offers everything from letter writing, tours and executive services for the rich and famous. As little as $12 to as much as $25,000. The owner John Adams say's the best way is just go over and meet then women, avoid letters and never waste money on expensive chat. You can meet up to 1000 beautiful women in just 10 days, it will be the greatest vacation of your life. Joe Nail of ForeignLadies.com, has stayed with the traditional Letter Writing, Each letter is $7.50 and but say they do plan on offer some limited chat option.
Many sites like,foreignwomen.com, PhilippineSinges.com, and UkraineSsingles.com, that offer simple unlimited membership for $29 per month. These type of site also target pacific regions, like Asia, Latin America or Eastern Europe.
There is also a site for mail order grooms; SingleMenOnline.com, that caters to men publishing their photos in hopes to meet an American Bride.
James Dunn, who is a ghost writer for review sites says "You get what you pay for. Membership sites to do not screen the members at all. so you never know who you really are writing, The big boys require the women to apply in person in one of their local offices. The companies that offer group tours will introduce you to hundreds of beautiful women, for the cost of $1000 to $3000 depending on location, about the same you would pay for any vacation. Several companies also do individual tours these can range from $750 to $1500, But only arrange one to one introductions, Always make sure they are biased in the USA or EU, Most of the complaints come from small agencies that are desperate and need to make as much as they can from you. Just a note, if the company is based in an a foreign country you will have no recourse if they do not follow through.
So do mail order brides exist, If you believe a if a woman is a mail order bride if she lives in another county then Yes, But if you believe it just another dating option like any on-line dating site, matchmaker or dating service, than No. . It really seems like a doubled standard in the world, If a women meets a man in Italy or France, then oh that is so romantic, but if a man meets a women in Philippines, than ....

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 8:52 am

Holy crap. We have another BBCW.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Living, dating, and tele-working from SG on a tourist visa

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 8:56 am

PNGMK wrote:Holy crap. We have another BBCW.
Lol

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:03 am

Yep, another cut & paster. Straight out of Wikipedia. lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail-order_bride

posting from a New York IP addy. bye-bye.

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep, another cut & paster. Straight out of Wikipedia. lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail-order_bride

posting from a New York IP addy. bye-bye.
I can just about visualize the stern countenance of a judge passing a death sentence :lol: