Singapore Expats Forum

roasted coffee beans

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 10:06 am

x9200 wrote:No problem Taxico, it was a short trip and I like to visit new neigbourhoods.

Raj, thanks. Sounds like a good idea but unfortunately I don't have this sort of contacts.


next time you are there, make sure you buy 2-3 kilos of that stuff... you wont regret it, i wonder if Batam has good coffee that is worth making the trip there on a weekend?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 28 Sep 2016 12:25 am

And if you decide to buy in bulk, store them in "Tupperware" brand container. They tend to do a better job of sealing in the freshness, especially helpful for SG's humid environment

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 4:54 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:https://www.facebook.com/lamyeocoffeepowder/

Got it! Bought 4 different kinds, ca 250g each: "Bali" ($21), some kind of Arabica ("$25), and 2 grades identified by the prices only "$19" and "$16". There was also one grade at $15 but already visually didn't look very attractive. I didn't try any of them yet. Will report when the time comes.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 5:14 pm

x9200 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:https://www.facebook.com/lamyeocoffeepowder/

Got it! Bought 4 different kinds, ca 250g each: "Bali" ($21), some kind of Arabica ("$25), and 2 grades identified by the prices only "$19" and "$16". There was also one grade at $15 but already visually didn't look very attractive. I didn't try any of them yet. Will report when the time comes.


tell us how it is.. do you get ground coffee too ? :cool:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3150
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby taxico » Tue, 25 Oct 2016 10:22 am

i was at a wet market in AMK last week. they have sundry/dry provision stores located near the "wet" stalls.

coffee beans at $8, $10, $11 and $12 per kg...! i think they'll be sold at similar prices at other markets.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3150
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby taxico » Tue, 25 Oct 2016 10:30 am

Image
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Wed, 26 Oct 2016 7:12 am

My pursuit of a cheap yet drinkable coffee so far haven't produced encouraging results. From what I bought and mentioned above, I tried the more expensive ones, Bali and Arabica. Although it is possible to smell in them some of the coffee aroma, they generally appear like stale coffee. They also lack in strength after brewing. They are drinkable, but not rich in any pleasant flavour. Just flat. Very so-so, at least for my taste. They are probably ok with milk, but I drink coffee black with no sugar, no nothing so it doesn't help.

I also managed to buy the one from redmart ($15/kg). It smells almost good, but haven't tasted it yet.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Wed, 26 Oct 2016 7:32 am

Thanks Taxico. I think I am going to wait till my current supply gets exhausted.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 26 Oct 2016 9:59 am

x9200 wrote:My pursuit of a cheap yet drinkable coffee so far haven't produced encouraging results. From what I bought and mentioned above, I tried the more expensive ones, Bali and Arabica. Although it is possible to smell in them some of the coffee aroma, they generally appear like stale coffee. They also lack in strength after brewing. They are drinkable, but not rich in any pleasant flavour. Just flat. Very so-so, at least for my taste. They are probably ok with milk, but I drink coffee black with no sugar, no nothing so it doesn't help.

I also managed to buy the one from redmart ($15/kg). It smells almost good, but haven't tasted it yet.


Interesting comments. There are a number of factors that can influence the outcome of your coffee.

One thing to consider is the grind. If you are using a drip coffee maker, then the following is true.

a) a coarser grind results in a blander, less acidic coffee. A finer grind results in a coffee that is more full bodied but may also taste more acidic to you.

b) If you are talking about your coffee being weak and stale then you may not be using enough coffee per cup. For every 6 (SIX) ounce cup of coffee you should use a minimum of one tablespoon of coffee. As an experiment, up the amount of coffee you use to brew by one half and see what happens.

I buy coffee in the US which costs about S$25 per kilo... Mexican Aruba... I use a drip maker... about the coarsest setting for drip grind, and at least one tablespoon per six ounce cup.

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2011

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby Hidy Ho » Wed, 26 Oct 2016 11:22 am

For a single cup of coffee, I'm a big fan of Aeropress. I use this along with my ceramic burr manual grinder (to grind my beans fresh) to make an excellent cup of coffee (it's more like Americano since I brew about 1/2 of what I drink in Aeropress and add hot water).

Aeropress and grinders are sold in Singapore but at about 200% mark-up so I bought mine on Amazon.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Wed, 26 Oct 2016 12:54 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:My pursuit of a cheap yet drinkable coffee so far haven't produced encouraging results. From what I bought and mentioned above, I tried the more expensive ones, Bali and Arabica. Although it is possible to smell in them some of the coffee aroma, they generally appear like stale coffee. They also lack in strength after brewing. They are drinkable, but not rich in any pleasant flavour. Just flat. Very so-so, at least for my taste. They are probably ok with milk, but I drink coffee black with no sugar, no nothing so it doesn't help.

I also managed to buy the one from redmart ($15/kg). It smells almost good, but haven't tasted it yet.


Interesting comments. There are a number of factors that can influence the outcome of your coffee.

One thing to consider is the grind. If you are using a drip coffee maker, then the following is true.

a) a coarser grind results in a blander, less acidic coffee. A finer grind results in a coffee that is more full bodied but may also taste more acidic to you.

b) If you are talking about your coffee being weak and stale then you may not be using enough coffee per cup. For every 6 (SIX) ounce cup of coffee you should use a minimum of one tablespoon of coffee. As an experiment, up the amount of coffee you use to brew by one half and see what happens.

I buy coffee in the US which costs about S$25 per kilo... Mexican Aruba... I use a drip maker... about the coarsest setting for drip grind, and at least one tablespoon per six ounce cup.

None of what I tried appeared any acidic. I don't know how to describe it, but the typical coffee sold in Singapore is for me just something dark and bitter with no aroma. I thought this was as bad as it could get until I had once a coffee from a road side stall in Malaysia. That was surely a product of Petronas. What I tried leant towards that type (I mean Singapore Kopi Kosong) but not that severe.

On the strength, I was just comparing with what I normally have. I used an electric, stand alone grinder (medium grind) and a Krups coffee maker with a built-in grinder (also medium). (http://www.super-espresso.com/wp-conten ... Center.jpg). From the machine it was better (its a pressure brewing to some extent) but just brewing it in a pot not that much. Actually it was closer to 5-6 tbl spoons of coffee per 6 ounce cup. The color was as dark as with a typical strength one.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Sat, 29 Oct 2016 12:21 pm

An unexpected turn. Today, I tried the cheapest $15/$16 coffee (I blended them together) from the coffee powder store and they moved ahead in front of the competition. Much better coffee (again, as of my taste) comparing to the Bali and Arabica from the same place. They lack the aroma, but after brewing, not much different from the standard, inexpensive types that could be found in CS.
In some ways they are actually better. Expresso made from them is rich, with nice crema and the crema is also present on the regular coffee what is not that common.

jackson80
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 29 Nov 2016

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby jackson80 » Tue, 29 Nov 2016 11:46 am

Anyone know if the many pop up hipster cafes in the tiong bahru area are good?

Also if they sell any beans?

Thanks!

porterxpress
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 12 Mar 2010
Location: Changi, Bedok, Kallang
Contact:

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby porterxpress » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 1:48 am

try facebook.com/hscoffeebean


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests