Singapore Expats Forum

roasted coffee beans

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 8:08 am

I've been, unsuccessfully so far, trying to locate a source of roasted coffee beans in the price range S$15-20 (or less) per 1kg. Redmart had 1 type at that range but is sold out now (and I don't know how drinkable it was).
How is it possible that having the forth world largest manufacturer of coffee half an hour away from Singapore the prices of coffee beans in Singapore are roughly 3x higher than in EU?

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby taxico » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 1:00 pm

blk 169 stirling road, near fairprice. your nose will lead you there.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 1:21 pm

Ha, thanks Taxico! Going to check them out on Monday.

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby taxico » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 4:06 pm

i made a mistake - blk 168. they are literally right beside each other (like, 5 seconds to cross over).

google the blk, road name, and the word "coffee" and give them a call before you go. that's where i used to buy my coffee from (but not in 1kg bag as i like them freshly roasted).
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 5:44 pm

That place?
https://www.facebook.com/tionghoesc/

Looks good. I work near the Ayer Raja cluster so it's less than 5 min for me on a motorbike. Thanks again.


User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 10:47 am

Thanks SE. Will take a look if I am around that area.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:41 pm

So here comes an update. Unfortunately, the prices of the shop:
https://www.facebook.com/tionghoesc/

are just around SG average for the cheapest kinds, meaning $46/kg or more. This is pretty disappointing as if you open their facebook page with a standard PC OS you can see this:
1.jpg


on the other hand, if you open the page via a mobile browser, the prices you see are the actual ones.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 1:20 pm

X9 i get my coffee from Kintamani Bali. I source it from from people who go there regularly on vacation or work and when they come back i ask them for a 2-3 kilos each time.. kintamani coffee is quite sublime..
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby taxico » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 7:55 pm

sorry i was of no help! i am 100% sure the shop did not look like a cafe when i was still buying regularly from them, and they had coffee sold <$20/kg (i've seen it myself before).

it may appear that they've gone upmarket. it was an old guy that ground my beans while i waited in the past, and the store front (the non-grinding shop) was like a... really really old shop.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 9:51 pm

No problem Taxico, it was a short trip and I like to visit new neigbourhoods.

Raj, thanks. Sounds like a good idea but unfortunately I don't have this sort of contacts.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10412
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 1:15 am

x9200 wrote:Thanks SE. Will take a look if I am around that area.


As I recall, the coffee powder factory was about $15 per kg and up. Maybe some cheaper stuff, too.

Found their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/lamyeocoffeepowder/

http://thediningtable.sg/2014/11/review ... r-factory/

http://pokpokandaway.blogspot.com/2014/ ... owder.html

http://www.jenniferteophotography.com/t ... -singapore - you can see here that the prices are quite reasonable for standard coffees.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1832
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 1:49 am

For those interested in internet shopping. I actually found out about this website from a friend who lives in Japan. They offer reasonable international shipping rate. I am not a coffee drinker, so can't comment on the taste and quality. Selection is huge, pages after pages.......

Yeap, if $$$$ wealth is all they are after, soon the country will become an unsustainable unit. Lucky for us, the consumers, there is always the internet and globalisation, to bypass local unsustainable prices :P ,

http://www.iherb.com/search?sug=coffee% ... 20&rank=41

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby x9200 » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 6:18 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:Thanks SE. Will take a look if I am around that area.


As I recall, the coffee powder factory was about $15 per kg and up. Maybe some cheaper stuff, too.

Found their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/lamyeocoffeepowder/

http://thediningtable.sg/2014/11/review ... r-factory/

http://pokpokandaway.blogspot.com/2014/ ... owder.html

http://www.jenniferteophotography.com/t ... -singapore - you can see here that the prices are quite reasonable for standard coffees.


Uhm. This looks right. Thanks SE again. Do you have any specific beans they sell worth to be recommended? I drink it black with no suger, no milk etc. and like it strong but with nice coffee aroma. Otherwise, I am not a connoisseur.

@earthfriendly: iHerb is excellent and I use them for ca 2y already but including the delivery the coffee will be again the SG price. On the other hand, I just noticed they have some organic beans that are priced at the SG regular coffee price, so for people into organic stuff, this could be a good source.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10412
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: roasted coffee beans

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 9:22 am

x9200 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:Thanks SE. Will take a look if I am around that area.


As I recall, the coffee powder factory was about $15 per kg and up. Maybe some cheaper stuff, too.

Found their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/lamyeocoffeepowder/

http://thediningtable.sg/2014/11/review ... r-factory/

http://pokpokandaway.blogspot.com/2014/ ... owder.html

http://www.jenniferteophotography.com/t ... -singapore - you can see here that the prices are quite reasonable for standard coffees.


Uhm. This looks right. Thanks SE again. Do you have any specific beans they sell worth to be recommended? I drink it black with no suger, no milk etc. and like it strong but with nice coffee aroma. Otherwise, I am not a connoisseur.

@earthfriendly: iHerb is excellent and I use them for ca 2y already but including the delivery the coffee will be again the SG price. On the other hand, I just noticed they have some organic beans that are priced at the SG regular coffee price, so for people into organic stuff, this could be a good source.


x9200, I can't remember specific beans, and I like a medium roast and a relatively coarse drip grind. Good thing about the guy that runs this place will be happy to talk to you about what you like to drink, will recommend beans, will brew you a cuppa if you wish.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests