Singapore Expats

Advice needed - got an offer while another branch of the company is pending

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Advice needed - got an offer while another branch of the company is pending

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:55 am

Point taken WD, the chances are the company is good but the HR is just being a douche.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

NZinSG
Regular
Regular

Post by NZinSG » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 2:47 pm

I was in the same situation as OP when I first responded to this thread.

I had company 1 give me a second round interview for next week, then I had company 2 call me at night to organise an interview the next day, I was offered the job at the end of the interview, and had the contract that day to look over. Company 2 then gave me a deadline of midday the next day to choose to take the position.

After being in Singapore since March and these being the first interviews I've had it was super difficult to turn down the guaranteed job, but I did. No point settling just because they think im desperate.

Turns out for the best, I've found out that the reason a better job turned me down was because they couldn't or didn't want to sponsor me... because they didn't understand what a LOC was, so hopefully that will be explained to them and things will progress with that job.

Otherwise I'm fairly certain I'll get the job from company 1, though pay isn't ideal (leave is 24 days a year though... sooo...)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 10:50 pm

NZinSG wrote:I was in the same situation as OP when I first responded to this thread.

I had company 1 give me a second round interview for next week, then I had company 2 call me at night to organise an interview the next day, I was offered the job at the end of the interview, and had the contract that day to look over. Company 2 then gave me a deadline of midday the next day to choose to take the position.

After being in Singapore since March and these being the first interviews I've had it was super difficult to turn down the guaranteed job, but I did. No point settling just because they think im desperate.

Turns out for the best, I've found out that the reason a better job turned me down was because they couldn't or didn't want to sponsor me... because they didn't understand what a LOC was, so hopefully that will be explained to them and things will progress with that job.

Otherwise I'm fairly certain I'll get the job from company 1, though pay isn't ideal (leave is 24 days a year though... sooo...)
In your case thats just ridiculous! Being asked to commit to a decision with less than a day to decide!
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late