Singapore Expats

License Conversion - Penalties for Allowing to lapse

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: License Conversion - Penalties for Allowing to lapse

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Oct 2016 12:04 am

Doubtful, SE. We just scrapped my friends Kia Rio on the 2nd of August. He had to fly in from VN, and go to LTA with his old and new passports just to prove he originally PR as LTA couldn't process the logbook and other paperwork as he bought the car as a PR but gave up his PR 2 years ago because he was working in Surabaya on a three year contract and his wife was Indonesian and actually from the area of Tuban where the project was. All kinds of hoops to jump through and even LTA couldn't send the Road Tax renewal forms to my address although everything else here was sent to me from bank statements to various and sundry subscriptions, phone bills, even his condo Conversancy charges were sent to me but not LTA. (when he came to town and used the car I had to be on the lookout for a couple of weeks and periodically log into the LTA website to look for ERP fines and Parking fines as they would sent them to the condo which is rented out. Even his tax forms/bills were sent to me. But not LTA. So, I rather think the license, if you were stopped, would turn up invalid. I believe it's only valid lifetime of residency be it PR or SGC
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 07 Oct 2016 7:35 am

I'm astonished LTA cares about residency but it's probably tied to some Singpass issue.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 07 Oct 2016 10:03 am

But valid everywhere but Sg I would imagine. At least in places that recognize Sg licenses.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 07 Oct 2016 10:36 am

IMHO it makes not too much sense for the PR's DL to lose its validity on the PR cancellation. Is the EP based DL invalidated if the EP is cancelled? If they wanted to invalidate it surely they could demand to return it or have it physically damaged.

LTA handles vehicle related things/offences so I see no reason why this should be related to a DL.

DanielBrody

Post by DanielBrody » Mon, 12 Dec 2016 4:57 pm

Agreed with above poster

mohamed66

Re: RE: Re: License Conversion - Penalties for Allowing to lapse

Post by mohamed66 » Thu, 27 Aug 2020 4:37 pm

GSM8 wrote:
Wed, 05 Oct 2016 9:30 pm
ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:You're not going for to be able to convert an Indian licence after 14 years of PR or even a year of EP I suspect.
It used to be easy to convert Indian licenses for EP/PR, though no more. I know a guy who was asked to take Basic Theory AND Driving test!
It remains simple to convert an Indian license after taking BTT. Only additional step being that one has to get it certified by the High Commission - which apparently is fairly straightforward via their agent BLS, takes 2-3 days. The certification requirement was not unique though, traffic police was requiring the same of Philippines DL as well (my observations and chats while waiting in line for my turn)
I am planning to convert my Indian license to Singapore one. Do we need authorization letter from High Commission of India ?

If so what all are the documents,fee required ?