Singapore Expats

License Conversion - Penalties for Allowing to lapse

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
expat6874

License Conversion - Penalties for Allowing to lapse

Post by expat6874 » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 1:27 pm

Hello - So I'm in the process of converting my US license to Singaporean. Does anyone know what the penalty is for not obtaining a Sing license conversion if you are for whatever reason to be found driving without one? My travel schedule (and frankly putting it off) has led me to be past the 12 month mark. While I'm going to go through the process, I'm a bit concerned about the interim and certainly don't want to break any laws by driving. I've spoken to several expats who seem ambiguous to the whole conversion thing and brush it off. I however, do not feel that way as I'm a visitor in this country and want to do what's right.

expat6874

Re: License Conversion - Penalties for Allowing to lapse

Post by expat6874 » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 1:31 pm

I should probably clarify that I have a valid US drivers license, and I have been driving here for a year, accident/demerit point free. I have not been pulled over, etc. ,etc. My driving record is spotless with 25 years of driving experience. I have a motorcycle endorsement as well, and at one time also possessed a CDL classification.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: License Conversion - Penalties for Allowing to lapse

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 3:31 pm

expat6874 wrote:Hello - So I'm in the process of converting my US license to Singaporean. Does anyone know what the penalty is for not obtaining a Sing license conversion if you are for whatever reason to be found driving without one? My travel schedule (and frankly putting it off) has led me to be past the 12 month mark. While I'm going to go through the process, I'm a bit concerned about the interim and certainly don't want to break any laws by driving. I've spoken to several expats who seem ambiguous to the whole conversion thing and brush it off. I however, do not feel that way as I'm a visitor in this country and want to do what's right.
You are already breaking by driving without a valid license, busy or not.

Here you go.

"Those who drive without an appropriate licence may face charges of driving without a valid licence, which carries a fine of up to $5,000 or a jail term up to 3 months for the first conviction. The offender may also be charged for driving without a valid insurance coverage, the penalty of which may be a fine of up to $5,000 or a jail term not exceeding 3 months, or both. The offender will also be disqualified from driving for at least 2 year."

Add, insurance can sue you ..

expat6874

Post by expat6874 » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 3:59 pm

I'm not currently driving as I'm in the process of obtaining the conversion license. I guess I should have been more specific.

expat6874

Post by expat6874 » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 4:08 pm

That's a substantial penalty I'd say! In the US, you receive a small fine. States differ, but mostly you receive a fine. It's hard to imagine you could receive such a stiff fine and potential jail time when you already possess a recognized license from another country and some leniency wouldn't be offered. It's not like I'd have a suspended or revoked license. I've been driving here for a year with a perfect record. Rules are rules I guess and it's not my place to question them.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 4:43 pm

Expat1974 - 12 months is enough time. IF your HR was competent they'd help you organise it. I have no sympathy as if you have an accident your insurance will no doubt fail to cough up. Stay off the road until you have a SDL please.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 4:57 pm

12 months! How much leniency do you need? Are you working offshore on an oil rig for months at a time? If not, you've had MORE than sufficient time to get your license sorted. Please stay off the road as you are a danger to others as if you are at fault, they cannot claim against your insurance. There are enough out there giving expats a bad name without another doing it with driving licenses as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 4:59 pm

For the benefit of the OP I'd like to point out that you'd have only 3 months in Australia for such a thing.

expat6874

Post by expat6874 » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks for the lectures. Wasn't really what I needed. I had already stated I am not driving so spare me your BS. I also indicated I am in the process of converting. I also wasn't looking for sympathy. So quick to make assumptions of my circumstances!
Last edited by expat6874 on Sun, 18 Sep 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 5:08 pm

BS? If you insurance doesn't pay up it will be you paying up (and fairly effectively; garnished wages; seized bank accounts). In Singapore it's not at all uncommon to have 'shared fault' allocated in motor vehicle accidents where even you aren't at fault you still end up being required to pay up. I'd say it was a friendly warning. If you didn't plan on driving why did you ask about the penalty?

expat6874

Post by expat6874 » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 5:48 pm

The "BS" was directed more to someone else who felt compelled to assume why I haven't gone for my BTT. Quite immature frankly. I don't feel I need to provide any explanation as to why my 12 months has lapsed. But, if you'd like to know I can certainly explain!

I appreciate the "friendly warning". The question came up as I was a bit unsure what the penalties are after googling it and finding so many conflicting responses from different sources. I was also a bit curious about the lack of concern from a few other expats, but didn't want to follow suit and simply make sure I was abiding by the laws. Once I got back from my last trip (almost 2 months), I began my research and booked my test.

The response from ecureilx literally quotes the law, and I appreciate his/her response.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 6:08 pm

Talk about immature, you had 12 month to convert. THAT'S immature.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 6:25 pm

All expats are offhand about it but foolishly so. I know a few who have ended up in the lock up. It's a seizable offense if it involves an accident. Even if not your fault. To get out of the lock up you'll need a friendly Singapore citizen to post bail.

expat6874

Post by expat6874 » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 7:44 pm

Wow, that's incredible. I wonder what the % of expats who are here are driving, knowingly, with what SG considers an invalid license?

Every time I would make an effort to head to the driving centre to schedule the BTT (which honestly was 2 seperate occasions), I would be called back out for travel. I kept putting it off given the circumstances. Now I'm left scrambling! It's a good learning experience. We were supposed to be here for about a year then move to another country in SEA, but it looks like I'm here for another year maybe longer.

expat6874

Post by expat6874 » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 8:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Talk about immature, you had 12 month to convert. THAT'S immature.
Thank you for your valuable contribution.