Singapore Expats

MATH TUTOR NEEDED - 11yr old 6th grader

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
expat6874

MATH TUTOR NEEDED - 11yr old 6th grader

Post by expat6874 » Fri, 16 Sep 2016 12:28 pm

Hello - is anyone aware of a good tutor for an 11 year old in 6th grade? We'd like to give her the extra help we think she needs to ensure positive test scores. Wondering if anyone has had good experiences with particular groups or tutors. We attend Stamford American, so anything nearby would be great. Thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: MATH TUTOR NEEDED - 11yr old 6th grader

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Sep 2016 1:50 pm

Wait for a recommendation from a regular here and not the solicitations you are bound to get with that post from newly joined persons with no other posts. A recommendation from a regular here is a recommendation. A recommendation from an Agency/Tutor is nothing by an advertisement and we do not allow unsolicited or unpaid for advertising. caveat emptor (buyer beware).

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

expat6874

Post by expat6874 » Fri, 16 Sep 2016 5:56 pm

Will do, thanks for the heads up. That's actually what I'm expecting/hoping for, i.e. responses from actual folks with experience with hiring tutors / students, friends, etc.. vs. a company soliciting for business. I've also been around long enough to sniff out the difference despite some very creative attempts. ;)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Sep 2016 9:17 pm

Yep, as mods we are too. Sadly, for the solicitors. In fact, this board is so well knows for it's lack of crap that our regulars usually pm us if they see one before we do. We do try to keep a clean house here. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

expat6874

Post by expat6874 » Sat, 17 Sep 2016 10:26 am

This is my first time utilizing this board. A lot of useful information in here! I've been here over a year. So many things in here could have been so useful for me!

expat6874

Post by expat6874 » Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:37 pm

Moderator- is there a way to delete this post? I'd like it taken down. Thanks. Can the original poster delete their own posts? I can't seem to find the "delete" anywhere.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Oct 2016 11:32 pm

expat6874 wrote:Will do, thanks for the heads up. That's actually what I'm expecting/hoping for, i.e. responses from actual folks with experience with hiring tutors / students, friends, etc.. vs. a company soliciting for business. I've also been around long enough to sniff out the difference despite some very creative attempts. ;)
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep, as mods we are too. Sadly, for the solicitors. In fact, this board is so well knows for it's lack of crap that our regulars usually pm us if they see one before we do. We do try to keep a clean house here. ;-)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Oct 2016 11:41 pm

expat6874 wrote:This is my first time utilizing this board. A lot of useful information in here! I've been here over a year. So many things in here could have been so useful for me!

expat6874 wrote:Moderator- is there a way to delete this post? I'd like it taken down. Thanks. Can the original poster delete their own posts? I can't seem to find the "delete" anywhere.

expat6874, there is a reason you do not have a delete button. This board is a virtual archive of information and history. All to often, in the past we get posters who get the information that they want and unlike the vast majority, become stingy or otherwise didn't get the answer that they were expecting or wanting so they get spiteful and have tried to delete their posts or edit their post so that the thread becomes useless and all our time has been wasted as well. Therefore, we don't allow deletion of posts.

We've even contemplated putting a time limit to prevent the deletion of text and leaving a word or two in the post rendering the post useless. As it stands at the moment, the original poster still has the capability to edit their text but not to delete the post. Needless to say, when that happens we usually have to try to rebuild the thread from backups and cached pages from Google bots if we catch it soon enough. Or when we think that might happen we go in and quote all of the posts so that when they are rendered useless, we ban the poster or restore the posts and lock the individual posts so that they cannot be edited. It's time consuming and aggravating as we are here to help people and should not have to police them too often.

expat6874

Post by expat6874 » Fri, 14 Oct 2016 11:53 pm

Got it. Thanks for the response, and information. It makes total sense. So, I'd guess there's a way for me to stop receiving notifications on this post (as I no longer need s tutor). I'll search for it in my settings later. Thanks again for your response.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Oct 2016 9:29 am

expat6874 wrote:Got it. Thanks for the response, and information. It makes total sense. So, I'd guess there's a way for me to stop receiving notifications on this post (as I no longer need s tutor). I'll search for it in my settings later. Thanks again for your response.

Try this http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/faq.php#f8r3

Click you name in the upper right corner of the "forum" (in color with a dropdown menu to the right of the name. Drop down the menu and select 'User Control Panel'

When your Control Panel open up on the left side of the page are a list of "Manage" items. Select 'Manage subscriptions'.

Put a tick mark on the threads you no longer want to watch then scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Unwatch Marked" and Bob's yer uncle!

Cheers,

expat6874

Post by expat6874 » Sat, 15 Oct 2016 12:14 pm

Done. Thank you!

Have a good weekend