Singapore Expats Forum

$1800 reasonable to ask for graphic designer?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

$1800 reasonable to ask for graphic designer?

Postby Guest » Wed, 02 Feb 2005 9:16 am

i've a job interview in singapore somewhere next week. i read in some previous posts that starting salaries for designers is about $1300-1600 ..

thing is i was wondering about work permit<>employment pass.. i'd rather have an employment pass which seems to start at a salary from $1800.. anyone know whether it is reasonable to ask this amount?

btw i am a fresh graduate, BA in Design from Hong kong. also have MA in psychology.. dunno whether that matters.

Postby Guest » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:02 am

not easy to find job in Singapore now without experience. suggest u just take the job to gain experience

local boy :)

Francis28

Postby Francis28 » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 3:47 pm

yup, take up that one friend, and see where you'll go from there. btw, are you keen on settling down in sg in future?

Guess

Postby Guess » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 1:37 pm

Hi Guest,

got a part time available for you. Care to leave me your e-mail and i will contact you shortly.

ah zero

Postby ah zero » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:29 am

thanks for replies everyone.. i think i'll follow that advice and worry bout the EP later.. it's just that i feel having an EP at least gets me a bit more on the way to a PR..

francis28:
although i do like singapore for personal reasons i like the comforting feeling not to having to leave the country when i'm out of a job (hence the PR) ..

have the same thing in HK now, after my student visa expires i've 2 months to find a job or otherwise leave.. first time i've been in this position and frankly i don't like it very much.

guess:
my e-mail is tsungyow@yahoo.com.hk, always interested in doing work..

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:36 pm

ah zero wrote:thanks for replies everyone.. i think i'll follow that advice and worry bout the EP later.. it's just that i feel having an EP at least gets me a bit more on the way to a PR..

It's always good to aim a little high. Ask for $2000 and justify this with the superior Chinese skills you've picked up in HK (or whatever). Try not to get bargained down below $1800.

And don't forget the extras: medical insurance, allowances, etc.

DarkDrag

Wanted a job positon as a Graphic Designer.

Postby DarkDrag » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 8:58 am

I need some advises guys. I wanted to fnd a job as a Graphic designer. But the problem is tat I dun hv the experience in thtis field. Although this i so, but during my 1st job in a die-cut mold making coy, I've learn the graphic softwares on my own during tat period of time. And oso currently, i'm taking PT graphic designing course.

So guys, izzt possible for me to get a job as a grahic designer? I'm kinda worry...