Singapore Expats Forum

Application for Citizenship while away from SG

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
laoshasg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 23 Jun 2016

Application for Citizenship while away from SG

Postby laoshasg » Wed, 07 Sep 2016 12:40 am

I have been in Singapore for almost 10 years and gotten my PR since 2012. I am currently working in the banking industry.

Just got an offer to work in Hong Kong but now thinking to apply for Singapore Citizenship.

I have gotten time slot to submit citizenship application in Feb. If I had already left Singapore, would there still be a chance to get the citizenship? I have a private property under my name. would that help to prove my connection with Singapore? Will ICA accept my application if i am not able to submit a letter from a local employer?

appreciate your advice:)

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Application for Citizenship while away from SG

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 07 Sep 2016 10:01 am

laoshasg wrote:would there still be a chance to get the citizenship? I have a private property under my name. would that help to prove my connection with Singapore?

appreciate your advice:)

Chances will be very less. Your private property in your name will not prove any connection with Singapore


laoshasg wrote:Will ICA accept my application if i am not able to submit a letter from a local employer?

ICA may accept your application, since you are a PR , but chances wise it will be very low. If you read the documentation needed, you will see a form which details about your employer, number of staff,turnover, etc and also a latest letter of employment from your employer.

If you stay out of Singapore for a longer time, you may face issue to renew your REP too next time.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Application for Citizenship while away from SG

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 07 Sep 2016 10:03 am

Just read your initial post where you have mentioned that you want to take SG citizenship as you were not sure if your REP will be renewed. My personal opinion would be not to misuse SG citizenship and make it tough for genuine applicants later.

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016

Re: Application for Citizenship while away from SG

Postby jamie9vardy » Wed, 07 Sep 2016 10:19 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
laoshasg wrote:would there still be a chance to get the citizenship? I have a private property under my name. would that help to prove my connection with Singapore?

appreciate your advice:)

Chances will be very less. Your private property in your name will not prove any connection with Singapore


laoshasg wrote:Will ICA accept my application if i am not able to submit a letter from a local employer?

ICA may accept your application, since you are a PR , but chances wise it will be very low. If you read the documentation needed, you will see a form which details about your employer, number of staff,turnover, etc and also a latest letter of employment from your employer.

If you stay out of Singapore for a longer time, you may face issue to renew your REP too next time.


ICA also asks for the latest 6 months pay slips in addition to the employment letter and you will need to sign an authorization letter (Appendix (SC)) for ICA to obtain your CPF and IRAS info from the respective authorities. Section VI (a) of the main application form also requires you to provides details of absence from Singapore for a period of one year or more in aggregate for preceding 6 years.

So it may be more than just the employment letter here... ICA may smell what you're cooking if things don't add up

laoshasg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 23 Jun 2016

Re: Application for Citizenship while away from SG

Postby laoshasg » Wed, 07 Sep 2016 7:42 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
laoshasg wrote:would there still be a chance to get the citizenship? I have a private property under my name. would that help to prove my connection with Singapore?

appreciate your advice:)

Chances will be very less. Your private property in your name will not prove any connection with Singapore


laoshasg wrote:Will ICA accept my application if i am not able to submit a letter from a local employer?

ICA may accept your application, since you are a PR , but chances wise it will be very low. If you read the documentation needed, you will see a form which details about your employer, number of staff,turnover, etc and also a latest letter of employment from your employer.

If you stay out of Singapore for a longer time, you may face issue to renew your REP too next time.


ICA also asks for the latest 6 months pay slips in addition to the employment letter and you will need to sign an authorization letter (Appendix (SC)) for ICA to obtain your CPF and IRAS info from the respective authorities. Section VI (a) of the main application form also requires you to provides details of absence from Singapore for a period of one year or more in aggregate for preceding 6 years.

So it may be more than just the employment letter here... ICA may smell what you're cooking if things don't add up


Thank you. I managed to make an appointment for submission in Feb 2017. I dont think I have accumulated one year outside singapore by then and maybe far less...finger crossed

DerronTee
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon, 05 Sep 2016

Re: Application for Citizenship while away from SG

Postby DerronTee » Fri, 09 Sep 2016 4:03 pm

the interview officer only asked me if I was away for one year prior your application, I heard that they will check your physical stay in Singapore for the past 5 years.

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016

Application for Citizenship while away from SG

Postby jamie9vardy » Fri, 09 Sep 2016 7:41 pm

DerronTee wrote:I heard that they will check your physical stay in Singapore for the past 5 years.


After all, this is the very same authority that controls the border and holds all the records of one's entry and exit...

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Application for Citizenship while away from SG

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 10 Sep 2016 9:07 am

jamie9vardy wrote:
DerronTee wrote:I heard that they will check your physical stay in Singapore for the past 5 years.


After all, this is the very same authority that controls the border and holds all the records of one's entry and exit...

;)

I did mention this before. As I suspect ...

If you don't declare the information they want, even though they have it all - you just leave room for the authorities to charge you for lying to an officer


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests